Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Fantastic Fan with Reverse Feature

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.
Thinking of upgrading one (or both?) of my Fantastic fan units to have a reverse feature.Has anyone who has this found it to be useful? Right now both of my fans only expel. Wondering if it is useful to have the draw air in?
Thanks.
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Our 2005 Safari had two Fantastic Fans that were two way. We found it useful by putting one on in and the other on out. Doing this cleared the trailer of cooking smell immediately. Our new 2015 Flying Cloud has the two fans but both are the "out only" version. I would also really like to convert at least one of them to two way.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I've got a couple of reverse switches I'll sell you.

Installed the switches in our FC 23. And I used them a bit, but traded it shortly after I did it. I ordered and received two for our current AS when I first got it.

Since the switches are still in their original packing, that should tell you how much I don't need them.

However, if you want to buy mine, send me an email. The installation is a little clunky, but the techs will walk you through it if you have issues.

Practically, I don't think they're that useful.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
With only one fantastic fan in the front of the trailer the reverse switch gives a lot more flexibility in how to manage your inside environment in both the front and rear of the trailer - we've found the feature incredibly beneficial and now wouldn't think of being without it.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I converted both of mine in my 2014 FC 20' and find it very useful, especially to clear the air out fast w/o opening windows, like when stopped at a rest area. I wish Airstream had spent the extra couple of dollars when they specified them from FF, rather than me having to spend (I think) $40 for each replacement switch.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Could not live without it. I converted the one over my dinette to reversing and converted the one over the bed to reversing with remote and 14 speeds. Very nice.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
I installed FF with rev and thermostat helps keep inside temp down when parked at the house and not using it. Leave the front vent open enough for air flow.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 AM   #8
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think that would be a nice feature if one has two fans. My 2013 Cloud did not have that feature nor does my 2015 Cloud with only one fan.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Could not live without it. I converted the one over my dinette to reversing and converted the one over the bed to reversing with remote and 14 speeds. Very nice.
Larry
I think my wife would kill me if I I got another remote.
I talked to a nice lady at Fantastic Vent who sent me the schematics of my fan and the one with reverse. As my unit is still under warranty, she said she would send me the switch if I paid the shipping. Maybe I should check and see if that would go for the one with remote.

George
Old 04-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
I consider the 2-way feature mandatory! I cannot believe how many times, under various conditions that I'll use one or both in the different flow mode (my AS has both fans reversible).

We travel with a small dog and sometimes we have to leave her in the trailer when it's a bit warm. Under that condition we have the forward fan blowing in (as she is up front when we are away), and the rear fan exhausting, such that she gets maximum cooling and maximum air flow through the trailer.

If it is hot, sometimes we'll want the vent fan blowing in over the dinette. If we should desire to take a nap, then it is nice to have the vent fan in the bedroom blowing in.

Overall I would say it is a major improvement in comfort level to have both fans have exhaust and incoming capabilities. When we purchased our current AS it only had vent openings in the front and back. We were used to having both two-way FanTastic fans in our previous AS so the first week I had our current AS I had the two two-way Fantastic fans installed.

I have solar on the AS and am able to store it in our back yard. As such I don't plug it into power, as the solar more than handles the fans and keeps the batteries charged. I have the vent fan thermostats set kinda high but they come on a lot on hot days and keep the inside of the stored AS from getting too hot.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Ok, I think I am convinced. At least now I can say, look Honey, everyone says..............

George
Old 04-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1999 27' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Fountain Valley , California
One other comment, and that is I was kinda cautioned away from the Fantastic fans that automatically close if it rains.

I live and camp in drier climates so rain is normally not an issue. The reason I was recommended against the rain sensor models is that if a leaf or other item falls on the sensor the fan will shut down and close, thinking it is rain.

I would rather know that the dog (in our absence) still has ventilation and run the slight risk that we might get some moisture in the AS, than think the dog has ventilation and find that is not the case.

If we camped where it rains a fair amount, I might choose differently, but for us the model that reverses and has a thermostat was the best choice.
WindyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Fenton , Michigan
We replaced both vents on our 78 Argosy with the full automatic FFs and have enjoyed having the options. We also kept our dog inside when shopping or enjoying a show on wet, windy and/or hot humid days. We were confident of the FF's to open up and regulate the TT temperatures and have never had any problems.
Argy 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
I agree with most that has been said on the subject of reversing fans-but I find that if you use the fan blowing in it draws in all the impurities, bugs, dust, pollen etc in great quantity. For very shot intervals I agree the exchange of air is remarkably quick and useful. Did you ever try to clean the fan blade etc in FF?? Not fun! BTW, I love the FF and the company service has been excellent!

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I think it's a plus to have them. I'm a bigger fan of MaxAir fans and they have that feature. I changed out one of my fantastic fans last year and will probably do the other one this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 04-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #16
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I like the reverse feature on our Fantastic Fan, but we usually use it as an exhaust fan. I used it most when a maple tree's seed pod (one of those whirlybird things) got stuck between the fan blades and the fan housing. Had to run that sucker on hi both ways to break it loose!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just use the "in" on the lounge fan in conjunction with the "out" on the bedroom fan to purge the heat after travel or being shut up. Makes the a/c cool down time much shorter. If I'm using just fans with windows open, I keep both fans on "out".

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.
Thinking of upgrading one (or both?) of my Fantastic fan units to have a reverse feature.Has anyone who has this found it to be useful? Right now both of my fans only expel. Wondering if it is useful to have the draw air in?
Thanks.
We ordered two for our 28' International. They have the rain feature, but only blow out. We have not found this to be an issue, as it was explained to us that Airstreams are relatively airtight, and you can control the flow of air very nicely by opening or closing either just the other fan, or one window only (if the weather is not nice.) The awning windows do allow you to open one of them when raining (as long as it's on the downwind side of the AS!) and you are onboard. A little experimentation with which single window to open to use the fan to create suction and a directed air path makes everything quite comfortable.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:55 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyJim View Post
One other comment, and that is I was kinda cautioned away from the Fantastic fans that automatically close if it rains.

I live and camp in drier climates so rain is normally not an issue. The reason I was recommended against the rain sensor models is that if a leaf or other item falls on the sensor the fan will shut down and close, thinking it is rain.

I would rather know that the dog (in our absence) still has ventilation and run the slight risk that we might get some moisture in the AS, than think the dog has ventilation and find that is not the case.

If we camped where it rains a fair amount, I might choose differently, but for us the model that reverses and has a thermostat was the best choice.
Not too worried about the closing of the fans in rain as we will be putting a couple of Maxxair II's up there. I like what has been said about having the fans for pushing a bit of air onto the dining table or into the bedroom.

All of the responses are great. Food for thought. Like sitting around a campfire. Thanks

George
Old 04-03-2015, 05:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyJim View Post

Of you pull down the manual twist to open knob it disables the rain closing feature.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote