Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Fantastic Fan Upgrade

Fan upgrade

So, I wanted to share a really cool,upgrade I did and tested this last weekend. I must say for our type of camping, this is a must have mod.

I basically combined two mods into one for the stock fantastic vent. I added a variable speed controller and a reversing switch, so the fan is infinitely controllable from slow to super fast, and you can reverse the motor to not only suck air out, but suck air in as well.

Credit goes to ksherzi who posted his variable speed post below. He identified a PWM board that is quiet, some are very noisy (high pitched).

Original post from kscherzi;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ol-181335.html

In his post, he credits another user for the idea and it has some more pictures, link is below:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/t...speed-control/

The reversing switch idea came from RFP on the 23D thread. He found a drop in three way reversing switch that replaces the stock on/off switch perfectly. Rob started the conversation on this switch at link below, Post #1490.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...166085-15.html

This Mod will cost about $35 per fan. The two parts are the variable speed drive board (PWM), and the switch. Here are then.inks to the specific parts. Make sure you get the exact board the kscherzi sourced. I tried to get fancy and got a different one first and it had a high pitch whine as he mentioned in his original post the frequency is key to quiet operation.

PWM board
https://www.ebay.com/itm/uniquegoods...4AAOSwLF1X-~xO

Switch
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Install is fairly easy. Unscrew 5 screws, take fan enclosure down, remove wire connections, drop old switch and old control knob out, make a few new wires, put it all together, and then you have a reversible variable speed fan. This thing ROCKS! At night we could keep the fan on low to get air and moisture out while sleeping (5 in a 23D), and it was ultra quiet. Before the stock version on speed 1 was so loud.

Pictures below to help with install, if you have questions, send me a PM, glad to help. Also, first three pictures are wiring diagrams, one I made for the mod, and one each wiring from switch and board manufacture.

The photos are of my install and wires etc. I attached the PWM board with two sided tape in the 4 corners, shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0658.JPG
Views:	688
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	314307

Name:	IMG_0656.JPG
Views:	489
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	314308

Name:	IMG_0657.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	314309

Install photos

After fan enclosure is dropped, shows wires

Name:	IMG_9841.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	314314

Back of PWM board with two sided tape

Name:	IMG_9867.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	314315

New board installed

Name:	IMG_9859.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	314316

Name:	IMG_9854.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	314317

Name:	IMG_9843.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	314318

New switch install

Name:	IMG_9853.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	314319

Name:	IMG_9852.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	314320
Old 08-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bridger-Teton , Wyoming
Great write up! Thanks...
veg hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Athens , Georgia
My first post to the 23 board
I have a 2010 Flying Cloud for over a year and I’m as happy as could be.
I’ve just gone through a major ordeal finding and repairing a small front drip of a leak.
Now my forward fantastic roof vent with rain sensor has stopped working.
I’ve check all fuses, cleaned rhe fan and sensor.
Any guidance or reference to previous trouble shooting links would be appreciated.
I’m a little on the slow side mechanically but with patience catch up eventually
Happy Holiday
Athboy
Athboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 04:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athboy View Post
My first post to the 23 board
I have a 2010 Flying Cloud for over a year and I’m as happy as could be.
I’ve just gone through a major ordeal finding and repairing a small front drip of a leak.
Now my forward fantastic roof vent with rain sensor has stopped working.
I’ve check all fuses, cleaned rhe fan and sensor.
Any guidance or reference to previous trouble shooting links would be appreciated.
I’m a little on the slow side mechanically but with patience catch up eventually
Happy Holiday
Athboy
That rain sensor in my experience is not reliable. Also, talking to a tech. at FF he indicated there is no fix other than replacement. After going thru the same drill as yourself it made better sense to cut bait. I simply remove the interior valance/trim ring to expose the circuit board and disconnected the sensor and we are back to a reliable setup. Note we do have rain covers installed. If you use the search function here look for my previous thread where I detail how to do this *With Pictures too
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
When our FF rain sensor gets lazy I clean it with a microfiber cloth and WD40...15yrs SFSG.
Ours came with 3 speeds and reverse... BUT, the switching sequence can be frustrating especially when half asleep in the dark.😂😳

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-19-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Awesome mods

Thanks for compiling everything into this one thread, Troutboy! It really is the essential resource for these two mods. I had already added a reverse to the fans and then stumbled on this. I ordered the PWM board and control from the above link and had it two days later. Today, I finished the second fan and am delighted.

Cheers to everyone who played a role in putting it all together!

-a
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by afk314 View Post
Thanks for compiling everything into this one thread, Troutboy! It really is the essential resource for these two mods. I had already added a reverse to the fans and then stumbled on this. I ordered the PWM board and control from the above link and had it two days later. Today, I finished the second fan and am delighted.

Cheers to everyone who played a role in putting it all together!

-a

Awesome! Glad it worked!
Old 04-17-2020, 12:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Southern CA , California
Gracias for this thread. I just did the switch install and ordered (2) PWMs and another switch so I can fully upgrade both fantastic fans. Only problem I noticed right now is the rain sensor seems to trigger way easier when sucking air in vs out, I can always disconnect it but not a big deal so far.
Just wanted to say thanks, this was some good 411

zach
deadlock is offline   Reply With Quote