Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to jdanielii
Fantastic Fan

I have a 25' Safari. It has two vents, one in the front(kitchen/salon)and one in the back(bedroom). Neither of them have fans. In reading the forum there is a lot of discussion re Fantastic fans. I went to Amazon and they list two the 4000 and the 4000R. The only difference that I could see was that the R had a switch that reverses the direction of air flow.

Question #1 - Are they very quiet?
" #2 - Do they move enough air to get-r-done?
" #3 - Is the wiring for the 12v already there?

Thanks for the help in advance.
jdanielii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
1) they make some noise, but not objectional, IMO.
2) Yes
3) I think so, but you can call AS and they can tell you. Ask for Randy McNeely.

Get one of them with reverse, that way, with one coming in and one pulling out , you get a nice draft down the unit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I have the 25 Safari SS w/ corner bathroom

I had Fantastic Fan installed in the front vent. There was electrical power at the nearby light.

Speed setting 1 and 2 are fairly quiet. Fastest speed is a bit more. I use mid speed the most.

At least on mine, setting the fan to exhaust, and opening the vent over the rear bed creates a nice breeze over the bed. This fan was a very worthwhile addition and moves plenty of air.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I added one in the bedroom of my '83 Excella. I got it at Vintage Trailer Supply. I got one with a rain sensor, the 6000RBTA. I also chose the opaque gray lid for the bedroom and a curved inside garnish, off white, for Airstream.

Having the rain sensor makes a tremendous difference, in my opinion. It's great being able to leave the vent open and not worry about rain coming in while you're gone. Especially over the bed.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I don't know all the models Fantastic makes but I certainly suggest the following options/features for both of your fans:

- Reversible (in/out air flow)

- Thermostat - it's not precise but it allows you some control over when (at what temperature range) the fan will turn on and off

- Rain sensor

You never know when you'll want which fan blowing in and which blowing out. Sometimes you might want both in or both out. The thermostat helps save your batteries when boondocking. Set the control so the fans turn on mid-day when it starts to get hot. The rain sensor is a great feature. My only complaint is that heavy dew will sometimes cause the cover to close. I personally don't see the need for a remote control.

Adding Fantastic Vents is by far one of the best upgrades we've made to our trailer.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Remote control is nice in the bedroom so you don't have to get up in the night to turn it up or down. Not necessary in the LR, IMO.

If you plan on putting Maxxair, or similar covers on, you don't need the rain sensors. If you don't plan covers, rain sensors are a must, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-01-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
What are options for cealing lights that are in my 76 sov.?
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
If you get a Fantastic Fan (Which you should) make sure you tell them it's for an Airstream. They have a bottom plate that is Airstream contoured.

Living and camping in the desert ours has two FFs. The one over the bed is reversible. On a hot night those fans really move the air.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Ditto Post #5, Lucius. We use our front and back Fantastic Vents more than our A/C. Pulls a nice breeze through our 30' and the noise is not bad at all. Rain Sensing Really Works, we know from first hand experiences. Get the AS models.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Call Fan-Tastic direct, they have way more models than you ever heard of. Tell them what you have and what you want to accomplish with your situation, they are very helpful and will recommend a model that will do the best job for you. That's what I did and was glad I made the call 800-724-3818

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Vintage Trailers Supply had a better price than most places when I bought mine last spring. Also, they have a curved bezel to fit the curved ceiling in an Airstream and the gray top matches the older aluminum vents. Plus, they are great folks to deal with.

By all means get the rain sensor. We left for the day last summer when camping in the Smoky Mountains. Left the Fantastic Fan open and the thermostat set to turn it on as the day heats up. Well there was a late afternoon thundershower that was a monster. We got back to the camp ground and water was 4 inches deep running down the street. Inside of the trailer was dry, the lid was down. I hate to think about the mess without that feature. Well worth the little extra cost.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I agree with all of the above. Rain sensor and thermostat are desirable additions, and you almost certainly have power at a nearby ceiling light that you can tap into. Only downside to this is that in order to operate the fan at night you may need to a.) turn on the light fixture at the wall, b.) turn on the fan, and c.) turn off the light at the fixture. Not a big deal, but be aware in advance.

Also, investigate the portable fan they sell ... I think it's called an "endless breeze" - works very well and draws very little current. Plugs into one of your 12v "lighter sockets" in the coach, if you've got one.

One more piont: if you call the factory, be sure to ask this - I think that if you buy a Fantastic Vent at a rally where they are in attendance (there's a list on their website), they will install it free of charge. Their after-sale service is reputed to be second to none - I've not had any problems so can't personally testify to this!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Deerfield Beach , Florida
If you attend the International or the Florida State Rally, there usually is a team from Fantastic Fan who will service, install or sell you a fan
max7157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you install the fan near the soil stack (vent) for the black tank, you would rather have an exhaust fan only. Intake will pull in odors.

If I had had a choice (they came with the trailer), I would have bought the remote because it is hard to read all the controls on ours with the bright sky in the background. With the temp setting, rain sensor, speed, on/off, open/closed, there are lots of settings and some are hard to read anytime.

Rain sensor is a good idea for obvious reasons. Clean the sensor periodically (it is underneath the door on one side) so it works better.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ellijay , Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to jdanielii
Thanks

Thanks for all the input. Looks like a no brainer.
jdanielii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
If you plan on putting Maxxair, or similar covers on, you don't need the rain sensors. If you don't plan covers, rain sensors are a must, IMO.
When I had a problem with the FF in my previous rig (34 ft LY moho), I mentioned to the FF rep that I was considering putting a Maxxair cover over it. They advised me against it, presumable because it can impede the air flow. In any event, the FF had a lifetime warranty so any issues were covered.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
When I had a problem with the FF in my previous rig (34 ft LY moho), I mentioned to the FF rep that I was considering putting a Maxxair cover over it. They advised me against it, presumable because it can impede the air flow. In any event, the FF had a lifetime warranty so any issues were covered.
The old standard MaxxAir (which I do have) does impede airflow somewhat, but won't cause a failure IMO. I had a MaxxAir on a FF in my old SOB for 17 years. No failure. There is an improved model which is much more free to airflow to address this concern...but, alas, it didn't come in silver!

Benefit of a Maxxair....you CAN use your fan in the rain. Pick your poison.

EDTI: CRAP, I see they do have silver now!!!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-933...6073934&sr=8-3

Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
FantasticFan now has their own UltraBreeze cover that doesn't restrict airflow:

UltraBreeze

Video demonstration:

Note: I think I remember the FantasticFan people saying it was OK to leave vents open when towing. Does anyone also recall hearing this?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
FantasticFan now has their own UltraBreeze cover that doesn't restrict airflow:

UltraBreeze

Video demonstration:

Note: I think I remember the FantasticFan people saying it was OK to leave vents open when towing. Does anyone also recall hearing this?
I always did with my SOB, but the airflow over the AS lets exhaust fumes in, so now I don't.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Good point; I forgot about the truck exhaust fumes entering the trailer...
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote