Old 08-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #1

Clovis , California
Fake access door

In my parents airstream the queen sized bed was converted to two doubles. Where the foot of the bead was it was just a wall to the floor. On the outside of the wall there is a compartment door, I have tried to open this door on the outside, the lock terns but does not open. Has anyone “fixed” the door so it opens? I would like to make this door usable to get to the space under the bed. I don’t know if it is just riveted to the body, but it does look like a real door.
I am guessing that I need to drill out the rivets and work from there?
Thanks for any incite.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
In my rig, the door opens to a space under my queen bed - the head of the bed is at the rear of the trailer. Since your trailer was changed to doubles, I assume the beds are against the side walls of the trailer? Therefore the door would open into the space between your beds.

Is this correct? Perhaps you could share with us the year and model of your new trailer, and pictures always help.

Welcome to the forums and Airstreaming.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhaas View Post
In my parents airstream the queen sized bed was converted to two doubles. Where the foot of the bead was it was just a wall to the floor. On the outside of the wall there is a compartment door, I have tried to open this door on the outside, the lock terns but does not open. Has anyone “fixed” the door so it opens? I would like to make this door usable to get to the space under the bed. I don’t know if it is just riveted to the body, but it does look like a real door.
I am guessing that I need to drill out the rivets and work from there?
Thanks for any incite.
Sometimes the cam on the lock slips off the square part of the lock, and then the door will not open. When this had happened to me, I managed by pushing the door to provide less resistance to the cam and it opened. Then I properly seated it (there is a screw which attaches the cam; even though there is a lock washer, it can sometime work loose).
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Clovis , California
on the inside of the door is just wall under the bed. See the pictures attached. as you can see under the window in picture 3 there is a door, and in the 2 other pictures there is no hole in the inside of the trailer. I am thinking of cutting a hole in the wall to see what I can find. Is this a good idea????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	193875   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	193876  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	193877  
Old 08-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
nhass - that curbside door puzzles me because it looks like one of the access doors that are found on twin bed rigs (I had a Safari with twins previously), not on rear queen rigs. There is also a door on the streetside, right?

Can you provide us with the year, length and model of your rig? That would help us understand.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have had AS's with both configurations. On the twins with the head to the front there were pull out drawers below with tambour doors. The pull out drawer was a plastic tub and if you remove it you will have access
( confined but still access) to the compartment from the inside. The bed foundation would also lift out providing access to the side compartments. Our current AS has a queen with the head to the rear. At the foot of the bed is a storage drawer. From the foot you can lift up the mattress and the bed foundation and gain inside access to the rear storage compartment. Modifications done by owners may differ so what I see may not be what you see.

Good luck with it. Be careful before you go drilling away.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #7

Clovis , California
This is a 32ft Sovereign. Talking with my My mom she thinks that the trailer was originally 2 beds, then converted to a queen then my parents converted it back to 2 beds. So my guess is, that it originally came with a compartment on the passenger side, I think I will cut an access whole to see what is holding the door closed.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you'll probably just find the back of the door and add one more draft in the trailer.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
That makes sense to me. It looks like a very nice job that converted the twins to queen - and the guy probably re-skinned the inside of the wall with aluminum. So if you cut through, you can connect to the outside. You will need to seal the area - think of a rib depth - all the around the door, from outside to in.

Good luck.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596