Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2005, 07:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Factory Warranty Repairs

Greetings and happy Thanksgiving!

Does anyone have any experience with having the factory perform warrany repairs? I am looking into taking my camper out to Jackson Center to have the "final" punch list work performed. The warranty expires at the end of March '06, so I want to make sure the issues are properly addressed.

Because the factory is 8 hours from my home, I am hoping to make an appointment and wait for the repairs. I can wait a few days and stay in a hotel. Does it sound reasonable for AS to be able to get the work done in that kind of time frame? The two biggest projects are an aluminum dust issue behind the headliner and a creak in the floor.

I appreciate hearing of others experiences with having warranty work performed at the factory.

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have heard both good and bad.

Personally, I went there this past April for about 3 days. They were very great about all the issues I had asked about, even the small ones. The work done met or exceeded my expectations. Based on my exp, I would suggest to anyone that is interested in service that the factory service center for a number of reasons.

The parts are typically in stock since it's the factory.

Who better understands the coach than the folks that built it? In most cases, the folk fixing them are folks that actually built them on the line and combined, the folks that were working on the coaches when I was there had well over 50 years of combined Airstream exp (and I am only referring to 2 or 3 guys that I came across).

You can see the factory build them by taking the tour while your Airstream is being worked on.

Not all dealers have the same service. Though they all are Airstream supported, there are some I wouldn't bring a go-kart to, let alone our Airstream, while there are others out there that are excellent.

BTW, the factory has a full hookup campground. They work on your unit and tow it back to the campground so you don't need to stay in a hotel. Be prepared for them to start bright and early. When you first get there, you check in and let them know you are there and where the coach is. I got there Sunday night and the campground was full. The night security guard was very helpful and friendly in helping me find a place to park. The cost of the campground is normally $10/night, but when having work done (warranty or not) it was free.

They also have a small lounge with a TV, Internet access computer and recently I heard they had a WI-Fi connection availible for folks with wireless computers right in the campground (though it was not there in April when I was there).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Factory repairs

I have been to the factory for repairs and they are fast. You will be able too stay at there campground unless they can't get the work on the floor done in one day.
Warning, they will come for the trailer EARLY. They started lifting mine with me in it and all hook-up's attached. I ran out and stopped them in time. Barkingspider had the same thing happen too him.
Barkingspider was impressed with the work they did under warrenty a few weeks ago.
If I was as close as you are, I would sure take advantage of the warrenty.

Don
Gunnyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Ours is there now. I took it over a week ago Monday and came back since it was going to be at least 3 days and I didn't have the time to stay.

Our warranty expires in February so I wanted to get it in before then and I thought the weather for traveling would be better now than later.

I can't answer your question since I haven't seen the results of their work but I was comfortable leaving it there after meeting with them.

I won't be able to pick it up until after next week.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 09:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
I appreciate the responses! The aluminum dust issue behind the headline is of particular concern. I can't imagine that a dealer would have the talent to take care of the resultant spots.

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 11-24-2005, 01:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Paul. I have had 4 new units back to the factory for repairs over the last couple of years. I find the best way was to make a complete list, then make shure they note every item on their work order. Keep your list,then take it with you to the trailer as it is being repaired and see that each item is fixed to your satisfaction. Don't be shy and stand your ground. You paid good bucks for your rig and they promised you world class service. Plan on staying over. They will pull it in and out as often as needed. I was completely satisfied doing it this way. There are no entry signs on the side doors.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Paul. Sorry I meant there are no No Entry Signs on the side doors. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks, Nye!

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 11-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
I had quite a bit of work done at the factory service center recently and was very impressed. Their techs are top notch. Just remember they can't read your mind - you have to speak up if you aren't satisfied. Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:30 PM   #10

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just be aware you may need to spend more time there dependent upon the nature of the work. I was there for a check out of my airconditioner back in 2001. I had an appointment. Unfortunately they did not begin work on my unit on my appointment day due to problems they were having with a motor home and its air conditioners. Since both of their air conditioner guys were working on the motorhome, they didn't begin work on my trailer until day 2. Overall I spent three nights there. Thankfully I was on vacation and had budgeted an extra day if necessary.

Unless things have changed since then, you need to get up to the office to get your name on the list ASAP in the morning. While you have an appointment, so do others. It's first come first served for those with appointments.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 04:20 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Thanks, Jack. When you write of getting your name on the list in the morning, is that the first morning there or every morning? I also understand that this will be it is like going to doctor. If the patient before you has big problems, the doctor will probably be behind schedule. I'll schedule extra days off. It will be worth it to have my trailer properly cared for.

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
Old 11-25-2005, 06:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Paul -

My warranty ends in April 2006 and I recently scheduled an appointment with the factory for the beginning of April. Since the work on our trailer will be a bit more involved, I'm going to leave it there and pick it up when it's fixed, which I understand may take up to 2 weeks.

Our trailer has 2 significant floor squeeks. From other posts here during the past couple of years, it sounds like a number of Airstreams produced during the past couple years have this problem.

I've previously been at the factory 3 times for warranty service repairs, and have had them look at the floor squeeks on two of these visits. They said they put in more insulation under the floor on one of these visits -- that was probably an attempt to do something quick and easy -- but it didn't fix the squeeks. This time, I'm going to make sure it is really fixed.

I'll second the positive comments the others have said about the factory service.

John
Old 11-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydc
Thanks, Jack. When you write of getting your name on the list in the morning, is that the first morning there or every morning? I also understand that this will be it is like going to doctor. If the patient before you has big problems, the doctor will probably be behind schedule. I'll schedule extra days off. It will be worth it to have my trailer properly cared for.
No, just the first morning. Once they meet with you, you are on the schedule. At that point just be sure you have your trailer ready to go since they will come by with a tractor to take it into the service center. Now if it takes more than one day, or they don't get to you that first day, be sure to be up early and ready to vacate the trailer. I think I remember they asked you to be up and ready to leave the trailer by 7 am or so.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:04 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Excellent. And, 7 is no problem since I an usually out of the bed by 6.

Thanks, again.

WBCCI #2468
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS