Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Summerville , South Carolina
Factory hooked up gas detector wrong!

Found out that the orininal gas detector was wired wrong at the factory! After four hours troubleshooting why the gas detector did not work (replace fuse,-after we found it!) using voltmeter to check hookup in trailer, buying a new monitor($70!) hooking it up like the old one, then reading directions on the new one - discovered that the original owner went 4 years without a working monitor in this 2007 27ft Anniversary edition Safari! I thought that they were suppose to really put great workmanship into these trailers!
lsrart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Well maybe some of the workers only speak Spanish.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

bad lp monitor(factory installation WRONG)

The manuals for installing those type of things come in several languages PLUS pictures. I guess all the Special Edition Safaris made in 2007 should check their monitors! Whoever did the installing must have wired them all wrong or had a bad night the night before, color blind or something. Very dissapointed in finding such a gross dangerous mistake by the factory!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
for the price of them they should come with a warranty like a new car or truck.
think about it they sure cost a lot more. i think it is a joke.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:19 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

The seller had a platinum extended warrenty on this unit that is still good for 2 and 1/2 more years - if lp leaked with the miswired monitor, the warrenty would have done me no good dead! Airstream needs to be sure their tech.s do things right. We pay for it!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Don't hold your breath. Pride in workmanship and quality control have been replaced by bottom line mentality. The warranty is not much good if you have to haul the trailer hundreds of miles and maybe have to wait for weeks before they can even look at it.
I don't think you would get better quality or service from a SOB dealership either. Unfortunately it's the world we live in today.
There are so many options when it comes to travel trailer manufacturers.
Too many in my opinion. If these companies had to compete with other high quality (and I use the term loosely) companies perhaps things would improve.
I use the U.S. auto industry as an example. I've heard the quality of our vehicles has improved recently; but it was only do to fierce competition from Europe, Korea and Japan.
Competition would bring the Quality of Airstream up and perhaps the price would come down.
Most people who buy a new one, do it because they have the money and the name Airstream is still considered the Rolls Royce of travel trailers.
All travel trailers depreciate at an alarming rate from their original price; even Airstream. That's good for the second or third buyer, I think?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Wink A very versatile device

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsrart1 View Post
The manuals for installing those type of things come in several languages PLUS pictures. I guess all the Special Edition Safaris made in 2007 should check their monitors! Whoever did the installing must have wired them all wrong or had a bad night the night before, color blind or something. Very dissapointed in finding such a gross dangerous mistake by the factory!
I think you are going to find that you just love having it working.

They can and have given false alarms for many things.

For instance:

Hair spray
Air freshener
deodorant
lantern fuel
liquor
alcohol
cologne
wine
adhesives
lacquer
cat farts
dog farts
human farts
water (if it comes in direct contact)

I am sure there are many others.

Any time there has been Propane gas smell in my RV, I have smelled it well before the detector went off, if it ever did.

Now, if it activated a large flashing red light on the top of the RV to warn others away if no was home, then it would be useful.

Regards,

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote