Old 07-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Cherry Log , Georgia
Extra Exhaust Fan - behind Dometic Fridge

16' Sport. Dometic Fridge. Airstream installed 1 muffin exhaust fan behind the fridge and area is accessible by exterior vent panels. Dealer suggested installing additional mini fan that can be plugged in - there is an electrical outlet that can be used. Has anyone done this and if so, can you suggest a fan to use? I have been looking with no luck. Also, I have no significant electrical skills so cannot wire one in. Any help? Many thanks!

Old 07-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
I swapped out the single fan, and upgraded to 2 higher CFM computer style fans (they glow red also, so cool), using the same wires that fed the original fan. Now the fridge temps are way cooler here in the desert. There are several threads about this so go search them! Good luck! and Happy Airstreaming!

Old 07-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
How did you get the computer fans to work? The fans say 12v and .25amps but when I hook them up to the trailer mothing even though the original fan was working. And when I hook the fans to my computer they work just not on the trailer. Really strange.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
How did you get the computer fans to work? The fans say 12v and .25amps but when I hook them up to the trailer mothing even though the original fan was working. And when I hook the fans to my computer they work just not on the trailer. Really strange.
Mattirs,
Most computer fans will have a "trigger" wire, thus the 3 or more wire harness on the fan. I cut off the connector and strip back a small portion of the wires, connect 2 of the wires together and test with a battery to find out which ones will spin the fan blades the correct direction (reverse polarity = reverse spin).
I chose red led fans which have an extra wire for the led lights, so 2 wires to neg and 2 wires to pos, it only took a couple seconds to figure out which.
Install 2, 3 or 4 fans, it doesn't matter as the fans use such a little amount of power (thus the tiny wires), just wire them in parallel, all positives to pos and all negatives to neg.
Good luck!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Will try that tomorrow when it is light. My fans are left over from a computer upgrade with three wires white, red, and black. Will try the black white with the red then the white, should work. Thank you Vintagemotor
Old 07-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
3 wires.. Red +, Black -, White RPM... I think... Check out on a 9 volt battery.. you may even be able to change direction by reversing the leads..

So, I mounted 2 new high performance computer fans to an aluminum (of course) frame... I then connected the fans to a fuse, then wired into the existing 12VDC in the back of the Fridge, accessible from the access vent. Improved the Fridge performance.

Another quick cool down tip is to put ice, dry ice, or some of that "blue stuff" you freeze to keep your beer...er.. baby food cool.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
Venice , Florida
I bought a small 110v fan at walmart and plug it into a receptacle mounted above the refrig. access door...fan has a switch, off, low, & high. I turn it on only when its hot out...its pointed up toward the roof vent. Works fine.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
How did you get the computer fans to work? The fans say 12v and .25amps but when I hook them up to the trailer nothing even though the original fan was working. And when I hook the fans to my computer they work just not on the trailer. Really strange.
The refrigerator fans do not work constantly, only when the refrigerator needs their assistance. It could be during the time their assistance was not needed that you found your new fans would not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
I bought a small 110v fan at walmart and plug it into a receptacle mounted above the refrig. access door...fan has a switch, off, low, & high. I turn it on only when its hot out...its pointed up toward the roof vent. Works fine.
This solution is only good when you have shore power. More flexible to use a 12V fan.

Greg
Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
good if u are hooked. not good if boondocking;. stick with 12v;.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryk View Post
TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Hillsboro , Oregon
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
I swapped out the single fan, and upgraded to 2 higher CFM computer style fans (they glow red also, so cool), using the same wires that fed the original fan. Now the fridge temps are way cooler here in the desert. There are several threads about this so go search them! Good luck! and Happy Airstreaming!
This sounds like a fun and useful mod. Care to share the make/model of that cool lookin' fan?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarStreaming View Post
This sounds like a fun and useful mod. Care to share the make/model of that cool lookin' fan?
I just went down to Fry's electronics and they had a wide variety, CFM, LED and overall size. I installed 2 of the ones below, of course they only spin when the thermal switch (power comes from here) in the coil tube tells them to. The red glow is very dim, just enough to see through the louvers.

http://www.frys.com/product/7896899#detailed

They have a bunch of different colors, and I'm sure any other electronics/computer supply will have the same.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Conroe , Texas
You could install a additional fan OR replace with a higher cfm fan. Keep in mind anything you put in that circuit more fans / lights is powered off your batteries.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Eugene (Tracktown USA) , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
3 wires.. Red +, Black -, White RPM... I think... Check out on a 9 volt battery.. you may even be able to change direction by reversing the leads..

So, I mounted 2 new high performance computer fans to an aluminum (of course) frame... I then connected the fans to a fuse, then wired into the existing 12VDC in the back of the Fridge, accessible from the access vent. Improved the Fridge performance.

Another quick cool down tip is to put ice, dry ice, or some of that "blue stuff" you freeze to keep your beer...er.. baby food cool.
Not sure of the color but function is correct. I'll look for some past posts

Coper wire is +, middle silver wire is - and odd man out RPM control.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fan  (1) (Medium).JPG
Views:	61
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	289431  
Old 07-13-2017, 05:39 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotor View Post
Mattirs,
Most computer fans will have a "trigger" wire, thus the 3 or more wire harness on the fan. I cut off the connector and strip back a small portion of the wires, connect 2 of the wires together and test with a battery to find out which ones will spin the fan blades the correct direction (reverse polarity = reverse spin).
I chose red led fans which have an extra wire for the led lights, so 2 wires to neg and 2 wires to pos, it only took a couple seconds to figure out which.
Install 2, 3 or 4 fans, it doesn't matter as the fans use such a little amount of power (thus the tiny wires), just wire them in parallel, all positives to pos and all negatives to neg.
Good luck!
Also check polarity.