Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
While most repairs of this nature seem costly to the 'customer', obviously the 'shop' must enjoy enough profit to keep the doors open for business...

The estimate is important for both parties so that there may be an 'understanding' before the repairs begin - Also, keep in mind that some unforeseen elements of the repair may be uncovered, and unless specifically important to be re-negotiated, will most likely be 'absorbed' within the terms of the estimate...

I'm reminded of my early working experience in the parts dept of a large truck dealer...I was running parts into the shop area, when I noticed one of the older/experienced mechanics taking the time to wipe down, clean and return his wrenches to his tool chest, and return some tools to the tool crib - all the while still 'clocked in' to the customer's repair ticket...

Being young and not knowing any better, I later asked the mechanic why he was 'cleaning up' at the customer's expense, so to speak...'Grasshopper', he said, when that customer arrived, all my wrenches and tools were clean and stored away properly, and the job's not complete till they are again back in that condition! Lesson learned...!

Our truck dealer, however, only charged customers the actual labor hours 'clocked' for the repair, unless it ran 'over', in which case it would revert to the estimate price for the customer's protection...Of course, some things were a bit different, 50 years ago!
Old 01-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I had work done at Jackson Center last summer. I have done all of the work on my AS myself until this visit to JC. The scope of the work for this particular job was outside my skill level. The estimate for the job was 6.5 man-hours of labor. It took 8 clock hours (full time for 1 technician) and there were times that 3 technicians were on the job. I was charged for 6.5 man-hours. The tech also added door guards (actual 20 min job), I bought in the parts store, without adding to my charges.

I drove 8 hours each way for the trip to JC. I have an AS dealer, with service department, 3.5 hours from home but prefer JC for AS service. I am a happy Jackson Center customer and will return there again if I need work beyond my ability.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Jackson Center has a full time repair shop that is separated from the factory, with full time employees. Not your ordinary assembly plant. Can't take your truck back to the factory for repairs.
I stand corrected. Thank you.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Most businesses have a minimum charge for a task, usually a half or quarter hour. Tire air check, usually half an hour etc. if you can not do the work yourself and either do not want to or cannot afford to pay someone else, then sell the thing as I did. Bought a cheap slide in camper and put fifteen thousand dollars in the bank. The slidein is not something I need to keep perfect so I do all the work myself. Oh, it does not leak. I figure I can use it for a few years the same way I used the airstream, and then set it out on the curb for the county to pick up. Happy, happy!, jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Have been to JC twice for service. I have never see such a detailed estimate. At least it is straight forward and you can choose to use the service or not. First time we went we had a couple of large items and then my wife made a list somewhat like yours and because she did not want to wait for my slow pace of fix ups and they went to work. I was astounded at the final price. But the work they did was pretty good and the trailer has been a dream for the last 7 years.
The second time I needed a major repair that I decided they were the only people who could do it right (the A frame). The work actually cost less than I was expecting and again was well done. We toughed out the price and now have a sound trailer that does not leak.
I got some estimates from Camping World. Higher than JC (double on the waste valves) plus I am pretty sure CW did not have a clue how to work on an Airstream.
You might find some other dealer who will do the work that you can not do. We had a thermostat replaced while on the road at a Winnebago dealer and they did a good job.
Work on a Airstream, as you may know, is never as simple as similar work on a house. For one thing, just reaching to spot to work on is often difficult. When you do some of these jobs yourself set a timer and see how it comes out. And think about labor unions and paying employee benefits and paying for a heated space to work.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
TwinPower

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I'm a little shocked that everyone thinks the charges for some of these items is "to be expected". Certainly it makes this forum useful, because I definitely feel the opposite, and still do....but at least I feel better about the service department. We definitely declined all of the items we could do ourselves, and agreed to the ones we thought would be better handled by them. I'm happy to hear from those of you who HAVE been to the service center, and I sure hope their work on our trailer is as good as you have described. I will update after service....stay tuned!
leahrumbarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Something tells me this is not going to have a happy ending.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I too am new, no reference with JC, however, I have been up and in my overhead cabinets, working behind myself, while holding mirror and flashlight trying to install LED lights. Right now you could name any price to get that job done and it is a tiny little light! sub
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #29
TwinPower

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Something tells me this is not going to have a happy ending.

doug k

Why do you say that Doug??
Old 01-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
I'm unclear about where you think the gouging is taking place ... Shops in my town charge $100 - $150 per hour and have nowhere the expertise that the place that builds the things has. When a shop does a job, there is a standard charge for performing a task ... Whether it is Jackson Center , a body shop, mechanic, copier repair, or an attorney. You'll find that Airstreams are no different than any other brand when it comes to doing business with dealerships or the manufacturer ... It all comes down to what you want to drive, pull, cook with, bathe in/with, or live in.

I have a 30 year old Airstream and have a new International Sig on order because I like the style, I like the way it pulls and I'm willing to deal with whatever I need to in order to have it.

Good luck with your adventure ... And welcome to the group ... You'll find a lot of help on this forum for things you find puzzling ... And some opinions you may not agree with ... Or want to hear ... But in the end we find this to be a very helpful group.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
No Price Gouging Here

Just value given for value received.
If you don't like the estimate, don't have the work done.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
This reminds me of two ship yard periods involving hundreds of thousands of dollars each....separated by 2 years. I was the Captain of the ship.
The first was in Barcelona and they did a very poor job and actually caused damage to several areas.
The second was back at the original ship yard in Germany.....They took pride in their work and were perfectionists. Though their hourly wage was twice that of Spain; I felt I got what I paid for.
That said, when I bought my AS I took it directly to Fife RV where an ex-airstream tech. re-sealed every seem with a nice even bead of caulk.....cost $150 bucks. But I think he left two chafe points on the skin from the ladder which I did'ent notice till later so I can't be sure it was him. I'm sure AS dealer/factory would never do that!!
Everything else I've done my self.
Del Gurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

"I'm sure AS dealer/factory would never do that!!"

Really.....

They find it hard to put together a trailer thats water tight...

Bob
Old 01-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
For the most part this thread is a good illustration of the widely different reputations between the factory and by the service centre ..... wouldn't it be great if the factory earned the same level of respect that the service centre enjoys ......

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

RJ

It sure would be nice if both sides were equal...

I think they start you on the build side so you'll gain the experience needed to repair on the service side.....

Think of it as reverse QC.

Bob
Old 01-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I continue to be amazed (shocked) at bids for repairs. My wife points out that I am an old stick in the mud remembering the good old days when gas was 50 cents a gallon. Much of that is true.

When I looked at your bid I thought of three things. The cost of the parts/supplies, the time estimate and then the cost per hour charged. Our local dealer charges $90 an hour for labor but I am thinking that that has gone up since I was last in. I didn't see any obvious signs of price gouging with the parts and some of the times required made sense to me. Replacing the $4.50 rubber thingy for your awning was going to take 15 minutes. OK, if it were right there in your hand and you were standing in front of the awning, a minute would be plenty. But, they have to get the part, they have to take it to the trailer, install it and then record that they did it. 15 minutes isn't out of line.

They also quoted 4 hours to completely wash and wax the trailer. I don't think I could do mine in 4 hours. As someone pointed out, choose to do all the maintenance yourself if you are comfortable and then have the pros do the other stuff. I would never pay $400 for a wash and wax job because I can do that. I do pay to have my wheel bearings done and brakes checked since I don't feel comfortable doing this.

It is a lot of money but I don't feel as though you are being taken advantage of. I have started the process of resealing the roof and windows. It is not easy but I can do it.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Remember this is an estimate. If it takes less time they should bring the job in below estimate. This will be the case with the rubber thingy, if they bring it in a box with the other parts it will not take 15 minutes. On the other hand, some of the jobs may not be as easy as they look. Sometimes once you start taking things apart you find wear or damage that was not visible before.

I think if it was my trailer, and I could afford it, I would let them do the work as estimated and see what happens. Otherwise, skip some of easier or less necessary jobs like washing and fitting the rubber thingy and do those myself at home.

From other replies it seems the $109 per hour labor, and the quality of the work they do is not in question. Having worked in the auto repair field I must agree that it is not out of line for a top notch facility. But I would expect them to bring the job in at or below the estimate unless they find something really bad that was not visible when they did the estimate.

To estimate on the high side, and bring the job in below the estimate, is a sign of an honest, high quality shop. To estimate low and hit the customer with a big bill later, is a sign of an incompetent, or slightly shady operation.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #38
TwinPower

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Beavercreek , Ohio
I'm continuing to get great feedback from lots of you, and I very much appreciate it!
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i would also like to note... as someone who is a small business owner... and used to write lots of estimates. When i would take small jobs to repair someone else's work, it would take at least an hour or 2 just to investigate the issue, get the details write the estimate and deliver. if i wrote 5 estimates per week, that's 10 hours unpaid. so yea, i'd charge 15 minutes for something that took 5 or 10; i had to make up that time somewhere.

(now i don't do this sort of thing anymore).

but for JC to investigate all this, look up parts and prices, typing it up... at least 2 or 3 hours free.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #40
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We've had service work done several times at JC. In some cases we had written estimates, in some cases just verbal estimates. In both situations there were items I decided to do myself. However, any issues that may have required special tools, or if there was an issue that would have required a helper (or two) I let them do the work. If it's straightforward, hardware store type items I found it's not practical (i.e. too expensive) to have JC do the work.

I was amazed during our recent visit to JC... the guy ahead of me in the service line actually wanted the service crew to replace light bulbs in his clearance lights and turn lights. I realize everyone doesn't have the same skill level but having JC replace light bulbs added up $ quickly. For most owners I think bulbs would be a DIY situation.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote