Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Deerfield Beach , Florida
Emergency Roadside Jack Point

I have a 26 foot 1965 Overlander dual axle without leaf springs. Could someone tell me where to instruct a tow truck driver or tire repair shop tech to place the jack to remove either the front or rear tire. In my experience many of them are unsure of jack placement on trailers. Most of them want to jack up on the axle. A diagram, if someone has one to post would be helpful to print and have onboard the trailer. If this is a redundant post, could someone please direct me to where I can locate the information. Thanks, Dom
dominicjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Place a jack on the steel frame extension between the axles and lift there. While there re other "approved" locations, you may find them either blocked by LP lines or the frame has deteriorated on an older trailer in those spots. At least in the open, you van see what and where you are lifting.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Pull the other tire on that side up on pads or blocks and that should give you room to remove the flat. The tires are on separate axles so lifting one will not lift the other. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
what zig zag said!
Old 04-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I use and carry one of these Powerbuilt 3 Ton All-in-One Bottle Jack Jackstand. I lift on the frame between the two wheels. It appears that the frame is doubled in that area. Putting the bold characters into google will show there are multiple vendors for the this unit. One is listed below:

Powerbuilt 640912 All-In-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand : Amazon.com : Automotive

I think this is great product and it also works on my TV.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the help everyone

I did ask this question before and Bob was kind enough to answer with neat pictures. I did locate them and life is great. I'm glad I did ask though because I was able to locally find the 3 Ton All in One Jacks for $29, must have been a close out because they only had two left. Thanks everyone, Dom
Old 04-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Suggestion - Now that you've located the jack points, stick a piece of reflective tape there for future reference. Not only does it help if you ever call roadside asisstance ("Put the jack on the tape, please") but it also helps you locate the jack points by flashlight in the dark if you're fixing a flat at o-dark-thirty in the morning.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Thanks, Great Suggestion

That is a great suggestion and I like the idea of the reflective tape. I have had to crawl under trailers to find a suitable jack site and it is no fun hunting around in the dark. I think this might be a sample of past jack misplacement by a former owner. Dom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream 3 011.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	499.7 KB
ID:	182848  
Old 04-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
I bring enough stapalizer pads to place in front or behind the failed tire, pull the good tire upon the pads and then chanage my tire.

For me - easy & safe - I have pics here somewhere I will see if I can link this post too....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Here ya go - check this link to see how to change a tire without a jack (and I think the safest and eaisist way to do so)...

Damages sidewall & Tire Change due to "Evil Rock" with pics.... - Airstream Forums

In this instance - I used some leveling "wood" to drive the good wheel upon...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote