Old 03-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Cleveland , Georgia
electricity question

I'm wondering how much stuff I can have plugged in at one time without causing electrical problems. We have a 1975 land yacht and yesterday I had plugged the electric fridge in and then turned AC on and everything stopped working. We did not trip breaker in camper but it tripped breaker in house. We have just purchased this camper and trying to figure things out. There is a larger looking recepticle above the stove area and I am wondering if that is where I should plus fridge. Looks like wires in electrical box are in decent shape. My question is.... if I hook IP microwave, stove, water heater and run AC, am I going to run into problems?

Cassarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Most home outlets have 15 amp circuit breakers. Most RV air conditioners need 18-20 amps to run reliably. If you plan to run your air conditioner at home, you need to have a 30 amp RV outlet added. The wiring for a 30 amp circuit is heavier, so do NOT just replace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 or 30 amp.

Wiring is not difficult and parts are available at Home Depot and Lowes, etc. However, if you are unfamiliar with 110 electrical, you should probably have an electrician do the work. That way it will be properly installed and meet code.

The job doesn't take much time, depending on where your breaker box and RV are located; so this is not a major expense. If you have a friend or relative that has electrical experience, it might only cost you a couple of beers or other liquid refreshment, AFTER the job is done...

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Im probably dating myself, but back about 1950 mom and dad bought our first house. A 2 bedroom Cape Cod with a bedroom in the finished attic. Every room had 1 outlet. The total house service was 30 amps {the same as an AS}. It was enough to run the Philco radio, but not much more. Always had a supply of glass fuses handy. Sal.
Sal & Nora
Let us live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
AIR 42483
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1975 31' Sovereign
Cleveland , Georgia
Okay.... so its the house with the problem??? No we are not going to run it at home much. I just started renovating it. We will be hooking up at my moms so I guess I need to have an RV hookup put in.
Cassarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2003 22' International
Park Ridge , Illinois
What size circuit breaker do you have in the house that tripped? What is the length of the cord to the house including extension cords?
When ever you turn on a motor load like your Frig and a A/C unit about the same time, an electrical inrush of current is demanded by both devices and this will almost certainly overload the circuit breaker, causing it to trip. Minimally, you should have a 30A circuit breaker in the house panel that feeds your Land Yacht. I suggest the following: turn on the A/C unit by itself, and then the frig. by itself and running them separately for at least 5 minutes. Get the frig. down to the normal operating inside temp. or until the motor turns off. If no problems up to this time (without tripping the breaker), then trial turning off the A/C unit and leaving off for 5 min. Turn it back on with the frig. plugged in but the motor of the frig. not running. Most likely you will need to follow a start-up procedure to eliminate the breaker from tripping. The more that is running at the same time, the greater the chance the service breaker will trip!
CentralAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The problem with the house circuit could be other things on the same line in the house like a fridge or freezer in the garage and the combination of the RV and what ever else in the house all add up to trip the breaker.

1st step is to make sure nothing else is on the same breaker other than the RV.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You should have a dedicated 30 amp 120 volt circuit for your trailer. If you have one installed it is a 120 volt AC circuit. The receptacle is specifically for RV service and is labeled as such. DO NOT connect your trailer to a 220/240 volt circuit.

Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote