Old 01-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bainbridge Island , Washington
Electrical Service Needed - Kitsap Peninsula Area of Washington State

Our 2015 25' Flying Cloud has an electrical system/battery power problem that is beyond my capability to diagnose/repair. Brand new batteries (OEM equivalents), look fine on shore power or when trailering, but go almost instantly to below 11 when disconnected and any load placed on them.

Looking for a reliable mechanic or RV service on the Kitsap Peninsula side, prefer to avoid the hassle and expense of hauling to the east side to an AS dealer.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Chip

cgoodhue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Welcome to the forum, Chip!

Have you considered that your batteries may be bad, even if they are new? You might want to review the Batteries etc. sub-forum for helpful threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449/

Are they regular lead acid batteries, and have you kept the water topped off and checked the specific gravity of each cell? There are threads about brand new batteries being defective. If you are interested in more feedback, it might help to ID your batteries and provide any other relevant history/details about your electrical system. Has this happened before, perhaps from a bad converter/charger?

When you are on shore power or towing, what battary voltage does your panel report? It should be around 13.7 volts, and settle down to ~12.7 a couple of hours after disconnecting from either charging source IMO. If yours drop to 11 right away, they are probably defective IMO.

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Are you actually on Bainbridge Island? Not sure where you want to go, but these Google Maps RV repair locations to the west may help?

https://www.google.com/maps/search/R...3!2d47.6476607

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #3
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I found this mobile rv repair YouTube channel and he's right in your area.

Darren the Happy Camper at https://myrvworks.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoK...ZLCD3flLXZVQvw
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks all. The batteries were purchased new from Walmart, they are essentially identical to the OEM (allstate) batteries that came new, those batteries had been frozen and were shot. It had been on shorepower since new battery install, batts showed 13.7, took it off shorepower to hookup and move to storage for the winter, operation of the tongue jack alone drained em down to below 10. Had to put it back on shorepower to finish hookup to the truck.

Going to put em on a standard charger and see if they will hold a charge, if so I guess that implicates the onboard charging system?

Good lead on the local service, I'll also try him for advice/service.

Again, appreciate the detailed responses from all.

Chip
Old 01-07-2020, 09:38 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Poulsbo , Washington
I wouldn’t recommend the big local RV dealership which happens to be near the Trails... I’ve had a bad experience there. I haven’t used them, but have heard good things about Affordable RV on Chico Way.

Welcome to the forum! From your neighbor in Poulsbo!
DougFelts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks DougFelts. You're the 3rd person I have had recommend Affordable, and they seem to have very good reviews. Since electronics are not my strong suit, I'll plan to give em a call today.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:48 AM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Any update? What was the problem/solution?
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoodhue View Post
Thanks all. The batteries were purchased new from Walmart, they are essentially identical to the OEM (allstate) batteries that came new, those batteries had been frozen and were shot. It had been on shorepower since new battery install, batts showed 13.7, took it off shorepower to hookup and move to storage for the winter, operation of the tongue jack alone drained em down to below 10. Had to put it back on shorepower to finish hookup to the truck.

Going to put em on a standard charger and see if they will hold a charge, if so I guess that implicates the onboard charging system?

Good lead on the local service, I'll also try him for advice/service.

Again, appreciate the detailed responses from all.

Chip
How long were the batteries connected to shore power from installation to measurement of 13.7 volts? 13.7 is too high for long-term storage and might have boiled the batteries. Did you check the water level?

13.7 volts is the proper voltage for absorption charge phase. If you are reading that, the batteries should be charging but may take 80 hours to charge one, 160 hours to charge 2 (from 10 volts, fully discharged level).

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...al-english.pdf

Where did you measure 13.7 volts? If not at the battery posts, measure it there. Could be a wiring problem.

Where did you measure “below 10”? Was this under load from tongue jack or after use? If not on battery and under load measure at battery. Another possible indication of wiring problem.

If you do change the converter, get a good 3 or 4 stage unit. I like the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
How long were the batteries connected to shore power from installation to measurement of 13.7 volts? 13.7 is too high for long-term storage and might have boiled the batteries. Did you check the water level?

They were on shore power for several months after purchase. I'll check the water ASAP.

13.7 volts is the proper voltage for absorption charge phase. If you are reading that, the batteries should be charging but may take 80 hours to charge one, 160 hours to charge 2 (from 10 volts, fully discharged level).

https://www.progressivedyn.com/wp-co...al-english.pdf

Where did you measure 13.7 volts? If not at the battery posts, measure it there. Could be a wiring problem. 13.7 measured on the monitor panel.. I took a photo of the wiring before replacement, and wired them identically.

Where did you measure “below 10”? Was this under load from tongue jack or after use? If not on battery and under load measure at battery. Another possible indication of wiring problem. Under 10 was also measured at the monitor panel.

If you do change the converter, get a good 3 or 4 stage unit. I like the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series. Perfect!!

Al
Thanks Al. See answers above. Electricity has never been my strong suit!