Old 10-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
McCall , Idaho
Electrical issue with new flying cloud

We have a new Flying Cloud 25. When we turn our heater on the LED lights in the ceiling flicker (about every 3 mins.). We are plugged in to 30 amp service.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Welcome to the Forum. It's a great source of info, and there is always help and guidance.

Do you know far a fact that what you are connected to is *really* 30-amp service? We had left a municipal campground where we had a solid 30-amp service (and our a/c ran perfectly) and went to a private one where they did wilderness tours. The socket there said 30-amps, and the staff said 30-amps, but our a/c wouldn't run. Fortunately, we have a Xantrex control panel that monitors the various voltages, and it showed that the voltage drop when we just ran the fan on the a/c went from 110-volts to just over 95 volts, clearly not enough voltage to run the compressor of the a/c. The a/c being a new one has protection from low voltage built in, but it didn't advise us when it was invoked - from my perspective at the time I thought that the new a/c had crapped out.

So, the issue is most likely the service you are plugged into fluctuating every time the heater fan switches on and it causes the LED lights to flicker. If you have a VOM, set it at volts AC (in the range that includes 120 volts) and see if the voltage drops when the fan comes on.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Are you talking about an electric heater or the factory propane furnace?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Are you keeping the Use/Store switch in the use position? (light on the switch will be red). If not your converter will be supplying all the power directly, and not have the battery as a float. This can cause the voltage to drop and vary as the 120 volt input changes, and also as the 12 volt load changes. If you have it in the Store mode, keep the switch in the Use position and see if it changes things.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post

So, the issue is most likely the service you are plugged into fluctuating every time the heater fan switches on and it causes the LED lights to flicker. If you have a VOM, set it at volts AC (in the range that includes 120 volts) and see if the voltage drops when the fan comes on.
That was my first thought. I'd also want to know whether they are on the same circuit or different ones. That matters when tracing down possible loose wires, failing fuses or breakers, etc.—it is good to know what circuit is affected, whether it is all the 12 v. side of the system, or even the campground source of 120 v.

Gene
Old 10-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Just a second thought - - if this is all on 12-volts, then the draw from the furnace motor (the motor that runs the two fans - the hot air fan and the fresh air fan for the plenum) as it starts could cause a voltage drop that could result in lights flickering. I've seen the lights dim momentarily when the water pump kicks in if I am not connected to shore power.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Winemaker

2012 28' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
I purchased a new 2012 and have never seen the led lights dim or flicker. I believe all the led lights are 120v so...I would look to the converter or something that is influencing the pass through of the 120v to the lights. I would let the dealership solve this issue. You may want to call AS first and have a general discussion with them about the problem as they may some preliminary trouble shooting steps you might take.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Retired USAF (kinda)

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Meridian , Idaho
120v????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwatkin View Post
I purchased a new 2012 and have never seen the led lights dim or flicker. I believe all the led lights are 120v so...I would look to the converter or something that is influencing the pass through of the 120v to the lights. I would let the dealership solve this issue. You may want to call AS first and have a general discussion with them about the problem as they may some preliminary trouble shooting steps you might take.
How can the LED lights be 120v when they are on the DC Bus, at least that's the way I understand it, since my lights work on battery power, which is 12v?
Old 10-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwatkin View Post
I believe all the led lights are 120v so...
LEDs are available in either 120vAC or 12vDC versions. Airstream uses 12vDC versions. But LEDs are very sensitive to voltage fluctuations, so every time you add or subtract load (turn something on or off) the LEDs might flicker. There is nothing wrong with your LEDs, so you'll just have to get used to it.

Incandescent lights, which glow due to heat, don't flicker under the same conditions because the current fluctuation isn't enough to significantly change the temperature of the glowing filament.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote