Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #1
QE2
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Estacada , Oregon
Electrical cord issues

Hi
Having problems with our power cord and shore power inlet. Where they attach together the plastic on both sides is melting and there is a burning smell. Upon investigation it appears one of the prongs on the power inlet is corroded. So obviously going to replace power cord. Also have to replace power inlet. Does anyone know why, or how this happened. Also I am not sure exactly what power inlet to order. Looked at marinco interior replacement online just not sure its going to fit. Any comments or suggestions?
2009 25' flying cloud
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	242611  
QE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Remove the old receptacle and take it to an electrical supply house to ensure you get the correct one. The Big Box Store will not have it.

Replace the female end on the umbilical cord.

This is the result of high current at that junction. If over time you have been inserting and removing the cord while the power was on you have been drawing an ark each time. These arks will pit the contact surfaces and reduce the conductivity. In time that creates a resistance at the connection and cause a hot connection.

Get into the habit of turning off the power at the city source before plugging in or unplugging the cord.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Another cause is the cord not fully engaging and being twisted to the lock position so the prongs are fully engaged.
This can happen when the rubber boot allows the cord end to slip back into it.
So when you push the end in the boot prevents the cord end from being able to twist to the lock position.

Be sure that the cord end locks into place. The boot only keeps the rain out it doesn't insure the cord end is fully engaged.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This seems to be the next must have item. Several people have reported switching over to this new plug configuration.

SmartPlug Shore Power Product Lines

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Ck%3ASmartplug

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
I had this happen to me. When I replaced it I found the screw on the wire to that prong was not sufficiently tightened so heat was built up. I ordered mine from Amazon for about $50. It was white, not gray. Catalog number is Marinco 301 EL-B. Check that out to see if it will work for you. They are not particularly fun to change out.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

I would also purchase a new power cord. You are going to have welding on the female end of it as well. As I remember cost was less than $100.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Several Foretravel owners have switched to the SmartPlug. I've looked at it, but can't justify the several hundred dollars the 50A set would cost - yet. I think if I had obvious issues like the OP has I'd probably go ahead.

Has anyone actually switched to the SmartPlug on an Airstream? If so, please post some pictures of the completed project and a user report. Others might like to follow suit.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Several Foretravel owners have switched to the SmartPlug. I've looked at it, but can't justify the several hundred dollars the 50A set would cost - yet. I think if I had obvious issues like the OP has I'd probably go ahead.

Has anyone actually switched to the SmartPlug on an Airstream? If so, please post some pictures of the completed project and a user report. Others might like to follow suit.
Agree, the cost is rather high. I don't think I would swap out a good plug and socket for it. My trailer is showing evidence of light arching. If and when it does get worse it might be worth consideration. YouTube has several videos about it. Found several videos from SOB and boat manufacturers that are now installing it as EOM.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
QE2
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Estacada , Oregon
Bought it

Ok. So after a lot of debate. I ordered the smart plug. I do think it's overpriced. Maybe the smell of burning plastic pushed me that direction. Will report after installation.
QE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by QE2 View Post
Ok. So after a lot of debate. I ordered the smart plug. I do think it's overpriced. Maybe the smell of burning plastic pushed me that direction. Will report after installation.
Fire, especially in a trailer, can mess up your camping day.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote