Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2003, 07:12 PM   #1

Question Electric hook up

I have an '86 Airstream with a 9 way plug. How does one wire this to the 7 way Plug. Extra "wires" on the 9 Way are (1) orange Tire-Tele and (2) Gray Refrigerator Switch.
Appreciate any help. Thanks
buckeykr` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
extra wires

well, I will take a stab at this:

The tire tele is a wire that goes to the " Tire low pressure" indicator, which requires the annunciator unit for the tow vehicle.

The refrigerator wire is to run the rerigerator on DC while traveling.
I think you could tie this to the "battery Charge" conductor on the seven way connector.
As a matter of fact, the "battery charge" conductor should provide 12 volts to the battery and hence to the refrigerator.
Probably dont need the refrigerator line.

Can you send picture of 9 wire connector?

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2003, 11:47 AM   #3

Smily,
Old 01-28-2003, 11:51 AM   #4

Smily, let me try this again. Having trouble getting a response through. Appreciate very much you suggestions. If I can figure it out will send on a picture of the 9 way plug. Don Buckey, Alliance, OH.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:11 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Even though it would require replacing the plug on the tow vehicle I would stay with the 9 wire connector.
The 12 volt refer feed is there to allow you to connect to the tow vehicle to run the refer while towing. The amperage draw is signifigant when running the refer on DC. You will want this isolated so that the refer does not kill your engine battery while you eat lunch. The best option is to connect the refer feed to the tow vehicle charging system thru a battery isolator so that it will only have 12 volts on it while the engine is running.

All of the wire from the engine/isolator should be of proper gauge for the distance/amperage draw.

The reason to do this is for the ability to tow with the refer on, and not have propane tuned on to keep the food cold. If you cross connect the refer to the coach batteries you will drain them in a single night if you are not careful.

I would abandon the low tire sensor wire if you do not want to invest in the in vehicle portion.

Hope this helps in your decision.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote