Old 10-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
just googled...freakin awesome! "tank" indeed!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Run for the nearest overpass and pull over if you are towing. Make sure you stop towing to reduce damage whether there is a bridge to hide under or not. The end caps are soft material and will dent easily. Just throwing a blanket over them would help soften the blows. Nothing will survive soft ball sized hail.

I am also worried about hail but without a shelter, it is hard to do much about it. Overall an Airstream is one of the more durable trailers out there but it is subject to cosmetic damage. I have a few dents in mine from tornado damage. It is one of those things you live with.

Perry

Old 10-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Front and rear panels to replace with labor costs are about $2,000 apiece, long side panels are $5,500--so about 16-18 panels--average cost of hail damage throughout AS could run between $15-$25,000--or total. Make sure you carry Comprehensive on your policy, or Stated Value on vintage.
Not to disagree, but since I wrote the Airstream crash book in 1970, your guestimates are almost double of what it costs.

Andy
Old 10-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Andy, we've sure enjoyed our Airstream and if it gets a few hail dings then we have a few hail dings. The joys of travel, experiences, and people we meet with this great American icon will still be here. I don't worry about hail, maybe our insurance company does, we'll just keep Airstreaming.

In fact we're in it 1600 miles from home right now, been having a great time touring through mid-America and now the Southwest. Same old question, "Do they still make those?"
When I was with Caravanner Insurance company, I took care of over 1,000 hail loss claims.

Some of them were 2nd and 3rd timers, and became believers.

Most hail dents will, in time, when exposed to the sun, simply disappear, from the main shell. However, since the segments are a softer material, seldom will any of those dents go away.

That fact was demonstrated to those that had a previous loss, by showing them the photo's of the old damage. Then the new damage was looked at and taken care of.

This is not to say don't worry about a hail loss, but usually it's not as bad as it initially seems.

The worst I ever personally saw and took care of, happened in Oklahoma city. The hail was driven by a very strong wind, and actually went through the exterior metal and some of it also went through the interior metal. It was like the hail was large sized bullets.

Of course the windows and all the other soft things on that side, were creamated.

When traveling, of course it would be best to park under a bridge, if at all possible.

Should a heavy hail storm be encountered, it's safer and best to NOT be in the trailer. All you can do is take your chances in the tow vehicle, or if possible, hide under the trailer.

The size of hail is a function of the higher altitude wind velocity. The higher the vertical winds, the more time a hail stone is lifted back up and cycled again and again until the vertical wind cannot lift the stone any more, which then allows it to fall.

Usually hail simply falls instead of being wind driven.

Pop open a hail stone, and you will see layers of ice. Each layer tells you how many times that hail stone was recycled. The more the layers, the more recycled space trips that stone made.

Now, back to happy times in the sun shine.

Andy
Old 10-29-2014, 11:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Thanks Protag' for the information, very good. Another thing I have noticed about hail in our area is how it can be very spotty, damaging on one side of our little town and nothing on the other. It is interesting watching it come through on the radar usually leading a heavy thunderstorm, always hoping it will miss us.

It came through our area Airstream dealership some years ago and they had a lot of Airstreams on clearance sale. Now they keep them inside in spring and early summer.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
A Bluebird Wanderlodge is one of very few motorhomes that I would want to own- coolness factor is off the chart-
My Airstream has hail damage from a storm in April. I counted 17 dimples on the trailer. My truck was also damaged, but I only see about 3 dimples. The dimples on the trailer are no deeper than the dimples made by installing the rivets. We are going to just live with the damage. Part of the game, I guess. Our roof on the house was also damaged. We are waiting for the man to come put a new roof on the house now.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Thanks for all the great info, guys. Yes, the Birds are very cool. The very best thing about it is the WOG or Wanderlodge Owners Group. Without that very close-knit group of knowledgeable people it wouldn't be possible to keep one on the road. Based on the response to my question, this Airstream group is just as supportive! Thanks again.

The Birds are very complicated, as they were designed as rich guy's toys. One example is the fresh water system. On most RV's you either have two separate hose connections, one for the tank and one for the fixtures or you have one connection with a manual valve. Not so on the Bird. Here, you have one hose connection, but the valve that directs the water flow is an electrically controlled Sporlan valve like on an a/c system. You flip a switch near the hose connection, which sends voltage to the Sporlan, which opens the valve. The dump valves are air operated, as is the entrance step.

Don't even get me started on the Aquahot heating system! LOL

I'm really looking forward to simplicity, reliability, and the opportunity to be part of this fine group.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
No Airstream owner we know wants to experience hail damage. But one can't let what could happen interfere with enjoying your Airstream to the fullest. Otherwise we'd all be crazy. If it happened to us, we'd just have to deal with it like we deal with anything else that could happen...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
We travel in our 86 Airstream. It's still going strong. Maintenance is easy compared to your Blue Bird. It has standard RV appliances and systems (heating, cooling, plumbing and electrical.) I really believe an Airstream will last 50 years properly maintained. The aluminum shell is a major reason.

And the aluminum shell is rather fragile. A kicked soccer ball will dent it. So will a thrown baseball. You don't want to back into a tree limb. I hit a truck tire tread (road gator?) on the interstate and it did $2300 in damages to the belly wraps.

I stupidly drove into a thunderstorm and picked up hail damage while pulled off the highway. I could have delayed my journey an hour and missed the storm. They are usually small and intense storms. Like a good pilot, I now watch the weather radar and will adjust my route to avoid potential thunderstorms.

So an Airstream is easier and less costly to maintain than your Blue Bird in my view. But it is an order of magnitude more delicate. Being careful usually is all it takes. Heck, my 66 Trade Wind is still going strong too.

David
Old 10-30-2014, 07:23 AM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I stupidly drove into a thunderstorm and picked up hail damage while pulled off the highway. I could have delayed my journey an hour and missed the storm. They are usually small and intense storms. Like a good pilot, I now watch the weather radar and will adjust my route to avoid potential thunderstorms.

So an Airstream is easier and less costly to maintain than your Blue Bird in my view. But it is an order of magnitude more delicate. Being careful usually is all it takes. Heck, my 66 Trade Wind is still going strong too.

David
It can be enlightening to go to other RV forums that aren't Airstream-specific, and see what SOB owners say about hail damage. Hail can really do a number on those supposedly leak-proof membrane roofs which are laid over very leaky roofing materials, and it's not really kind to fiberglass, either, causing it to delaminate. Aluminun skin over an aluminum frame is generally more forgiving than other trailer building materials, since a hail strike doesn't automatically mean leaks. At least you have the option of still using a dimpled trailer until you can fix the damage
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #25

1974 31' Sovereign
Hendersonville , North Carolina
I have been looking at The Bluebird Wanderlodge RV's for 2 years now and have been reluctant to purchase due to the complexity and expense of keeping one on the road.
I am going the Airstream route instead.
The Bluebird is the best RV money can buy. And I believe The Airstream is the best trailer money can buy.
The Bluebird is a heavyweight to say the least. The Airstream is a lightweight and has to be treated with a bit more care, but Bluebird owners are perfectionists and will have no trouble with the difference. IMO.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:42 PM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78 steve View Post
I have been looking at The Bluebird Wanderlodge RV's for 2 years now and have been reluctant to purchase due to the complexity and expense of keeping one on the road.
I am going the Airstream route instead.
The Bluebird is the best RV money can buy. And I believe The Airstream is the best trailer money can buy.
The Bluebird is a heavyweight to say the least. The Airstream is a lightweight and has to be treated with a bit more care, but Bluebird owners are perfectionists and will have no trouble with the difference. IMO.
There are quite a few good units out there, problem is there is a lot more mediocre to poor, than good. One motorhome that has recently caught my eye is the Lazy Daze from CA. I got to see one the other day, the design, fit and finish are very good compared to what you see from the rank and file builders. Born Free is another one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
WE parked next to a newer Blue Bird this past Labor Day and then a week later by accident in Yellowstone. Nice folks great looking coach, BUT way too much work for me. Alarm went off and he blamed the park so they moved sites, electric connection blew something inside and he spent all morning trying to fix and moved sites. Then the water issues, the satellite challenges etc. Blue Birds have always had my interest until this past trip - no more. We like to stop, set up and forget it and the AS provides that for us.

Safe Travels
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Interesting reading for those concerned about hail…
Taken from "Hailstorms Across the Nation" (http://www.isws.illinois.edu/pubdoc/...SCR2009-12.pdf)
Hey! That's me! (howdee from Boulder CO)