Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Duotherm Penguin Pan won't drain

Removed shroud on roof, water is sitting in pan and won't drain. Drain hose clear.

Are there drain holes to be accessed on roof side of unit that are clogged?

Is rainwater intended to drain from roof and not through the hose that exits near wheels?

I'm sure answers have been posted here but can't find them.

As always, thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
If level or downhill toward drain side?

Put wet dry vac on lower end of hose and turn on. Does it flow? Will it pull water?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I do it the reverse way, using a small compressor to blow air from the lower drain tubes. Do you have have water leaking from the AC on the inside?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
I have water leaking on the inside trhough the AC.

NOT using AC as is too cool to need it. The standing water in pan is from wind-blown rain.

My question: Is the rain water intended to drain through pan and down hose as does the condensed water produced by AC when running, OR is the rainwater intended to drain from the top of unit and run down sides of trailer?

Are there drain holes on pan roofside that may be plugged and where are they?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Only A/C condensate should drain through the pan. If rain water is coming into the pan, the A/C to roof seal is bad.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I just installed one of these pans. Mine was purchased about a year ago and has holes around the perimeter to drain any rainwater that gets into in. So, if you have rain water leaking into the trailer, I would guess that you have either plugged or absent drain holes on the pan. Additionally, you either have a plugged condensate drain hose, or a cracked pan.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Actually, the foam gasket that is between the AC and the pan (as mentioned above) would be one of the first places to look as well.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
I just installed one of these pans. Mine was purchased about a year ago and has holes around the perimeter to drain any rainwater that gets into in. So, if you have rain water leaking into the trailer, I would guess that you have either plugged or absent drain holes on the pan. Additionally, you either have a plugged condensate drain hose, or a cracked pan.
Those holes drain to the outside, don't they (the roof)?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 08-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The way the drain pan is configured, it should isolate the condensate water from any rain water that gets into the pan. The rain water should drain out of the little holes around the perimeter of the plastic pan. Now, if the water gets high enough, I suppose it could get into the channels that carry the condensate, in which case this water ought to go down your drain hose (if it is clear). The big question is exactly where the water is leaking from on the inside? To figure this out, you will need to remove the ceiling unit so you can actually see the foam gasket, the channel that collects the condensate, and the connection to the drain hose.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
The way the drain pan is configured, it should isolate the condensate water from any rain water that gets into the pan. The rain water should drain out of the little holes around the perimeter of the plastic pan. Now, if the water gets high enough, I suppose it could get into the channels that carry the condensate, in which case this water ought to go down your drain hose (if it is clear). The big question is exactly where the water is leaking from on the inside? To figure this out, you will need to remove the ceiling unit so you can actually see the foam gasket, the channel that collects the condensate, and the connection to the drain hose.
Right, we're on the same page. I just had a diagnosis "session" with mine., but it is unrelated to OP's situation, so I won't go into it. Just want to make sure I was thinking right

Old 08-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
To get back to the original question, there should be holes in the pan that would let the rain water drain out onto the roof of the trailer. I believe mine were drilled at the bottom of the sides of the pan at about 8 inch intervals, and were about 1/4" in diameter. So if you get a good bit of funk growing in the pan, I could imagine the drain holes plugging up. I want to say there were no more than 3 per long side, and perhaps none at all on the short sides.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #12
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Had an RV tech (so called, at least) caulk the various places for potential leaks on roof and he caulked over the driain holes doing such a good job the holes were invisible.

Solution, drilled 1/4 inch holes in pan so that the pan could drain as originally intended. water drained out--problem solved.

Thanks to all who replied.