Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Drill Rivet Gun Adapters

Been doing a lot of riveting lately, and my right forearm is getting overly large. Wondering if anyone has used this tool or one like it: https://pillowbread.com/products/drillerrivet There's another made by a compnay called Deko, and others that look to be much higher quality. Prices range from $21 up to near $100.

So, anybody used one? Experiences?
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Plattsmouth , Nebraska
Why not use an air powered riveting gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jhiner1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ter-93458.html

I bought this one and have had real good results. Hasn't jammed once and Ive done a fair amount of riveting with it. Of course you would need a compressor.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Neat tool but an air rivet gun is better for the same price.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Yes, pneumatic tools are available, but dragging hoses around gets old, and compressors are loud. Just trying to evaluate all the options.

So has anyone actually used one of these?
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Tennessee
Go to Amazon.

Read the reviews. 3 out of 5 stars, 14 reviewers. But some people really like it.

There are also reviews of similar products by other mfg'ers.

Search on the following:

Rivet Gun for Cordless Drill Electric Rivet Nut Gun Riveting Tool Cordless Riveting Drill Adaptor Insert Nut ToolWith 3pcs Convertible Head
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
Been doing a lot of riveting lately, and my right forearm is getting overly large. Wondering if anyone has used this tool or one like it: https://pillowbread.com/products/drillerrivet There's another made by a compnay called Deko, and others that look to be much higher quality. Prices range from $21 up to near $100.

So, anybody used one? Experiences?

Used mine today. Works great and saves your hand.
DeltaRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:32 AM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...ter-93458.html

I bought this one and have had real good results. Hasn't jammed once and Ive done a fair amount of riveting with it. Of course you would need a compressor.

Before anyone buys the Harbor Fright ones (3/16" above or similar larger 1/4" ones), I strongly suggest that one read the reviews, & start from the lowest 1-stars ones. Most of those are from Professionals & some Avid-DIYers, & all describe problems with their units.

HF sells low cost & ever lower quality products, mostly all made in China or SE Asian countries - despite catchy names as Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. "tool" which sound "Mercun made".

And then you have to pay more for their "extended warranty" beyond 30, 60 or 90 days basic warranty - so once you add in all of the tool + real warranty, you can go buy a well made major toolmaker brand of tools.

Apparently the drill mount one is quieter & perhaps a tad more compact that an air tool, & the one that the OP linked in the 1st post seems to have good reviews there, but I can't speak to its reliability & durability.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I think that this conversation illustrates the point that we should get a powered riveting tool BEFORE starting in! Yes, I'm one of those who said to themselves, "I don't have all that many more rivets to do". My today-self wants to back in time and slap some sense into my before-self!

I went with that Harbor Freight rivet gun, and used it with my little pancake compressor, and shed tears of delight when I installed my first rivet! Though I guess that if you can easily palm a basketball, and you only need to do ONE rivet, you can save yourself $25!

For those just starting in on their reno project, please learn from my fail and get a powered rivet gun ASAP!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:45 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Milwaukee has an M12 cordless rivet tool.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-12-...ilwaukee+Rivet
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #11
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
My hands got tired and sore too using a hand rivet tool. I vowed to get the air piwered one for my next project. I also get tired of loud air compressors. I have several high volume big compressors to run big nail guns and such. But I found a much quieter small compressor, the Senco PC1010, that I really like. It is 1 gallon, 1/2 hp. When I am working by my self with a trim gun, or stapler, or just an occasional nail fron the framing gun, it is perfect. It will happily run on a long extension cord and is light weight and easy to carry around. I've started using it to pump up tires too. Great little compressor!
Brad

Sent from my SM-T710 using Airstream Forums mobile app
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I got a HF tool and set 100's of rivets. That was 9 years ago, quality may not be the same nowadays. Saved me lots of time and aching hands. Are there better tools, yes, but for the price the HF pneumatic rivet gun is hard to beat.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:58 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
colebrook , Connecticut
Alcola Hydraluic Riverter

I have hand riveters, a hydraulic riveter, and a pneumatic riveter. I like the hydraulic best as it pulls rivets tight, is easy on my arthritic hands and will pull all types of rivets and thread inserts. It is expensive, but is top quality and has all the heads you could ever need. No air hose, no straining due to my weak fingers and easily pull the biggest rivet you you will ever use.
Will pull Huck and Marson rivets, nut serts and plastic rivets . Huck Model HK1501.
malett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Ingleside , Texas
Harbor freight gets my vote. 3/16 1/4. Not building the Brooklyn Bridge just a aluminum mandrel river.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Airstream Forums mobile app
The Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Ingleside , Texas
Rivet

The Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rambler View Post
Harbor freight gets my vote. 3/16 1/4. Not building the Brooklyn Bridge just a aluminum mandrel river.

Yup. Everyone knows what you're getting when you choose to buy tools at HF. I think there is an appropriate time and place for their products. I'm a retired carpenter and would never have bought their tools for use on the job, however for something that's going to be used occasionally at home, for a specific purpose, I'm willing to take the risk. Their pneumatic rivet gun is just one of those instances. Ive had "0" problems with mine and it's been a real time saver along with less abuse on my worn out old hands. If it bites the dust the next time I use it, its more than done its job for the money I paid. Just one opinion............(it's an old and worn out discussion I suppose)
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
Streamline64

Vintage Kin Owner
Grass Valley , California
Drill Riveter worth it

Hey all --
I bought a drill/driver powered rivet tool from TomTop, a chinese direct mail outfit, for $17 and free shipping! I've used it on 5/32 up to 3/16" rivets and it does a good job. The chucks and teeth are steel, the body is ABS, comes with tools to assemble/dissassemble in case of jamming (I managed to with a 3/16, my fault). You put in a rivet, push the rivet in the hole and grab the plastic handle while you drive it clockwise to snap the mandrel. Then you grab the handle and reverse the drill and the teeth let go of the mandrel and you dump it out. Can't get much simpler and

the price is right to try one out! I am restoring a trailer and needed one, gave it a shot and I"m happy I did. What they heck? Less than a $20 bill!
tommydSL64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Beware all....
The 1000 count rivet box from HF are steel shank rivets! For those not in the know, these are bear to drill out in the future, and rust with exposure to the elements!
Being a magnet with you as you select rivets! There is just a little to know when buying rivets!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote