Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2008, 07:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Dave
Again Sorry about the damage . WELCOME back to MOTHER SHIP ! This is my part the world. I know those people will fix you rite up and it will soon be just pic's of bad luck.
Will U be staying till the repairs are finished? They is a rally at Grand Lake St.Marys Next weekend April 25,26,27 If you would like to stop over I know U would be more that welcome. Its at the state park.
If not Have a great trip Home.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Ouch.
Well if it had not been for my insurance i would have parked my trailer after the first accident and let it rot. I could not afford $15,000 in repair bills for the trailer alone.

My guess based on what I have seen $6,000 to have yours fixed. The factory is the best place to have yours fixed.
Sorry.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #23
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Have you thought about getting in touch with either Colonial Airstream in Lakewood, NJ or RV Legends in Waterbury, CT?
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good for you, Dave...for not letting the damage get you down and just keep going, getting it fixed, and keeping life in the proper prespective... There's a lesson in there for us all...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Dave said (in part): Anyway, although I was really bummed when first discovering the damage, as bad as smashed aluminum is, in the overall scheme of things it really does not matter. Shari is a 2 time cancer survivor and that really puts things into perspective . Any problem in life that you can solve by simply writing a check is not really a problem at all...

Dave & Shari - Yes, it must have felt like somebody had drop kicked your heart thru the goal posts of life to see your AS in that sad condition. But I admire your perspective. We all love our AS's, but an AS can always be replaced. Congratulations to Shari, congratulations to you both. Beating an illness like that is usually a "partnership success" story. Maby only one of you is ill, but beating that illness is best done with the aid of a loving partner. And I am speaking from a fair bit of my own experiences here.

Great success story and I'm glad you shared it with us all. I always feel better when a loved one kicks my butt back into reality now & then . I usually require such loving at least once a year .
whitsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
Wow, another tree "kill". I can't see any interior effects from the impact, still, 5 to 6K sounds a leetle beet low from my experience. After Hurricane Ivan my Safari needed 16K worth of repairs......sure hope they can fix yours for less

Jack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 012.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	58679  
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Panama City Beach , Florida
Dave, I just saw your posts. Sorry for your damage but you're right, writing a check does fix it. Hope you and Shari make the Can Opener Rally in January.
AIR#24440 WBCCI#11740
Luckyducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:48 AM   #28

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
Wow, another tree "kill". I can't see any interior effects from the impact, still, 5 to 6K sounds a leetle beet low from my experience. After Hurricane Ivan my Safari needed 16K worth of repairs......sure hope they can fix yours for less

Jack
It looks like just the end cap was crunched. If so I am sticking to my origial estimate. If any of the main structure was damaged then the cost will be much higher.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Are you going with the original buck rivets or Olympic rivets? Buck rivets would require removing the interior which would increase the cost of repairs.
I hope you have a good experience and enjoy the service lobby; it's pretty cool.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi,

Not sure about the rivets, whatever JC wants to do is fine with me. Since this is an SE model the entire inside is also aluminum panels and they are all fine. Surprising to me that the inside is still smooth as silk because I had thought from how the outside looked that it would also be dented on the inside but it isn't. The only thing on the inside was some pieces of tree bark laying on the bed where it had broken thru the rear vent.

Anyway, no, I am not waiting at JC for it, they can take their time and when it gets finished I'll run back and get it, I actually really like the drive along I-68 thru western MD, West VA, PA and Ohio. That is a real pretty route.

regards, Dave
AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
wagnerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
**UPDATE** All Fixed and Good as New !!!!

Hi again,

Just picked up the Bambi after a couple weeks here at JC and she is PERFECT !!!!

Absolutely a beautiful repair by Chris Burch and the guys in the service shop - thank you, thank you.... I can not tell from looking which sections were replaced and which are the factory originals (wait, this is the factory...)

At any rate, the Bambi is once again looking sharp... I have attached a before and after pic of the same area so you can see what I mean.

This is very nice, quality work and I am more than 100% satisfied with the results and the price. Not cheap, but it was under $5K so I am happy, and that included a new coil for the A/C unit...

And I also have to give some credit to State Farm insurance, because I thought they would "Katrina" me, but they did not. They sent an adjuster here to JC and looked over the damage and the planned repair and then in just 5 days they sent me a check right to the penny (less my deductible of course). So hats off to State Farm for being very decent to work with.

Oh, and the campground that I was at when the tree came down was also very nice (family owned) and they paid me back my insurance deductible so net out-of-pocket for the repair was zero.... Yes, zero cents... I still can't beleive it. I guess I did have to buy gas for 2 runs out to Ohio and back (takes me 40 gals with trailer and 30 gals without each way).

All in all it worked out ok.

regards, Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0630.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	60513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0694.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	60514  

AIR#23096
" I am lost and have gone Airstreaming to find myself, If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait..."
Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Yaaaa!!!!

All betta now! Looks great.

Enjoy!

See you down the road. Paula
Old 05-16-2008, 04:10 PM   #33
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I thought you said in your 1st post, the Bambi was not insured. What kind of insurance is your State Farm? Home Owners? Looks very nice. Congrats!

Just curious
Thanks
Dale

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 05-16-2008, 04:15 PM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Is that a new Fantastic Vent I see poking up out of the repair? Looks good!
Old 05-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #35
_

. , .
hey the repair looks great dave...

did they remove the interior and buck rivet it or do the repair from outside with olympic rivets?

while both approached work fine, the price difference between the two approaches is significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerda
... I am not a believer in insurance so this will be an out of pocket repair that I know is going to set me back a nice chunk of change, ...
yeah whats up with this, we all wanna know!

are you now a believer in insurance?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:20 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Central Part , Maryland
Hi again,

The repairs had to have all been from the outside as the inside has not been touched at all. It really looks nice on the outside though. If looking real close at the rivet heads, on the 2 sections they replaced the rivets are just a smidge smaller head so I would think the repair was all from the outside. And since this is also an aluminum skin inside it would have been about impossible to do from the inside.

And for the insurance, I am not a believer in insurance (since I think I will always just pay and never collect a dime). I would not ordinarily have had any insurance on the Bambi (there is no loan on it) but the campground I stay at year-around requires every trailer to be licensed and insured. So a couple of years ago I called State Farm and just got whatever the basic insurance package was for an RV trailer and figured it was just money down the drain. But it made the campground people happy.

But then this tree limb comes down, so I figured I would just give State Farm a call and then when they came up with whatever the reason-of-the-day was as to why it was not covered, then I was going to use that as a reason to just cancel the policy.

But, low and behold, they were actually very nice. They asked where did I want it repaired, I said the factory at JC, they said "ok" and that they would send an adjuster to JC.

So, I sent Chris Burch the service advisor at JC a note saying State Farm would be showing up, and the JC folks showed the adjuster what was needed, and 5, yes just 5, business days later there was a check in my mailbox.

So now I have 40+ years of mistrust of the insurance industry all discombobulated. I don't know what to think.... But in this instance, State Farm was more than fair and I thought I would never get a dime. So I just don't know...

And yes, that is a nice shiny new Fantastic Fan in place of the original rear vent (I paid out of pocket for the Fan upgrade and some other goodies).

Since I was so far ahead of where I thought I would be (since I had already mentally figured I was out-of-pocket 5K for repairs), but then wasn't, I thought it was only right that I should still spend the 5K and get some goodies for the trailer.

So, I got a new Fantastic Fan for the rear, the solar charging system with 2 new AGM batteries, and the rear and street side awnings. Couple pics attached of the rear awning, the solar panel, the street side awning and the "C" ring at the JC Terraport.

Anyway, heading back to MD in the morning..

best regards, Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0696.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	60523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0703.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	60524  

Name:	DSCN0705.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	60525   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0706.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	60526  

Name:	DSCN0707.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	60527  
AIR#23096
Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
looks good...does this mean there is 5K of vacation $$$$? that you did not figure on!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
The repairs look great, Dave. Good news about the insurance too, especially since I'm also insured by State Farm.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #39

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Glad to see JC and State Farm worked out for you. They did good by me more than once. They still won't insure my property though. No structures on it.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #40
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Glad to see JC and State Farm worked out for you. They did good by me more than once. They still won't insure my property though. No structures on it.
Do you know if they would insure if you had an outbuilding on the property? Something like a small pre-fab shed or barn?