Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Fairview , North Carolina
Double-pronged power cord?

I can't find the answer to this, please help!

I have been removing bad additions (stick on tiles, carpet) and making small repairs to my new airstream but am not sure about the big stuff. My safari came with a few papers and hand written notes but I see that there was no owner's manuals until 1964. The original owners are long gone, the last user of the airstream is dead and his children sold it to me without knowing much about it.

I am locked out of the back exterior compartment (under the bathroom sink) and wonder if anyone can tell me what is *supposed* to go in there. And also where I expected to find a cord which would allow me to hook-up to power, I only have an outlet. Do I need a power cord with prongs at each end? If anyone can help, please let me know!

Thank you!
PinkLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Manchester , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLady View Post

I have been removing bad additions (stick on tiles, carpet) and making small repairs to my new airstream but am not sure about the big stuff. My safari came with a few papers and hand written notes but I see that there was no owner's manuals until 1964. The original owners are long gone, the last user of the airstream is dead and his children sold it to me without knowing much about it.

I am locked out of the back exterior compartment (under the bathroom sink) and wonder if anyone can tell me what is *supposed* to go in there. And also where I expected to find a cord which would allow me to hook-up to power, I only have an outlet. Do I need a power cord with prongs at each end? If anyone can help, please let me know!

Thank you!
Might want to look for cord in bumper compartment where the sewer hose is just a idea not sure what Trailer you have..

2004 Nissan Titan with BT package
K/N Cool intake air
Duel power exhaust
Mrcrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 PM   #3
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLady View Post

And also where I expected to find a cord which would allow me to hook-up to power, I only have an outlet. Do I need a power cord with prongs at each end? If anyone can help, please let me know!

Thank you!
Hi and welcome to the forums. Can you post a picture of this plug in outlet on the outside of the trailer. Airstream used a couple of different set-ups and a photo or two would really help in identifying what you have.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Using a double pronged custom extension cord is a dangerous practice. Your trailer does have a 110 volt outlet on the side of it which is to be used for external 110 volt stuff when the trailer is plugged into 110. There should be an attached extension cord in a fold down access panel on the side of the trailer toward the back (usually on the street side). There is also a hose connection point in that compartment. You have to get down on your back to view it properly. The back compartment may contain the breaker box for the 110 as well as dry storage for such things as stabilizing jacks and levelling boards. If you can get a locksmith to come out an open it at a reasonable cost, that would be my suggestion. If he is unreasonable, you can always just drill out the lock and replace it.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #5
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Everyone's exterior storage compartments of that era were keyed alike. All keys except the entry door where keyed alike. Find someone with a trailer near you and borrow his key for that door long enough to make a copy. His key will work on your trailer. I am told that Wally did this on purpose after experiencing numerous lost keys first hand on caravanns he led to exotic places.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I had a 60 Avion that had one of those double male power cords
Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Sounds like you need to get the back compartment door open. That is where the power cord and breaker box are located on my '61 Safari. I drilled out and replaced the old lock on mine. My back compartment door has a "notch" built into the right side of the door for the cord to pass through when the door is closed. If you need, I can supply photos of the area.
Do not try using a "double pronged" cord. Could cause serious problems because the prongs on your factory plug might be contacting the aluminum or other conductor in the back compartment. They could become energized by backfeed through the breaker box and cause a short or electric shock.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Fairview , North Carolina
Thank you so much, everyone! Mission today: get into the compartment
PinkLady is offline   Reply With Quote