Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Donating Airstream To Charity

I've been seriously considering donating my 68 Overlander to the forum to restore and sell for charity, but not sure how to go about it.
I've owned it about 6 years and aquired it when I bought my 34 footer as a package deal from the owner. I've never spent one night in it.
It's a solid unit with no dents in the skin, at least 3 years ago when I last left it in a warehouse. Everything worked and the interior is solid.
The catch is that somebody in or near Alabama would have to tow it to some place where various vendors could contribute to the effort. Naturally I would supply whatever electrical supplies I could.
I briefly started to restore it like I did my 76 but moved to Idaho and left it in storage and will not likely have time to finish it in the near future.
I'm totally open to suggestions but envision vendors contributing much like the VAP except the sale proceeds would go to a charity to be determined by the forum.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Have you considered raffling it off as is and donating the proceeds to a charity? Might be simpler.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
I've been seriously considering donating my 68 Overlander to the forum to restore and sell for charity, but not sure how to go about it.

I'm totally open to suggestions but envision vendors contributing much like the VAP except the sale proceeds would go to a charity to be determined by the forum.
Randy,

I'm not sure when you say donate it to the forum as to whether you are talking about the "Forum" as the owner and entity to deal with this, or the "forum" as an individual member or collection of members.

My suggestion is that you choose a charity or solicit the Forum members suggest a charity. Go to the charity directly and transfer ownership of the trailer "as-is" to them. Then with the charity's approval solicit folks to contribute, money, talents, services to the charity to increase the value of the trailer. The charity can determine how much they want done, who will work on the trailer and when to sell.

You've got potential for liability, hurt feelings, and all kinds of issues that would be best put in the lap of the charity to handle. I think you are very kind to make the offer.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
No I had not thought of that. Was thinking that maybe the forum could build something if there was interest. If not, maybe just sell it or let it sit. I think the forum could raise more money for charity that I can sell it for.
Just throwing the idea out there.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I think this is a lovely and generous idea. Can I suggest that you message Andy R and work out some details?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I don't have the answer. I'm willing to let it go if somebody has the time to make something of it for charity.
I tried to get some ideas from the makeover project from Andy but nobody is allowed to ask about that for some reason and it gets deleted. I want no money for it.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 PM   #7
_

. , .
one of the florida wb' units fixed up and raffled an old trailer 2 years past.

jbond? may have details about how they handled this, and who did the repairs and polishing...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...lts-27006.html

contact him, the info could help in a forum raffle or charity event and your 'stream is already close to florida.

or IF you'd like to donate it to the human fund, we'll take care of the details...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Be interesting to see how many raffle tickets you could have accounted for in a month. Naw, there would be a regulatory agency somewhere sayin you couldn't.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:43 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander
I tried to get some ideas from the makeover project from Andy but nobody is allowed to ask about that for some reason and it gets deleted. I want no money for it.
At this time per policy of the Forum owner, that particular project is off limits for discussion here on the Forum. You can contact Inland RV privately if you would like to discuss the particulars of that project. Sorry.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Charity

When I was considering my first Airstream, there was an e-bay auction for a Squarestream that had been given to a church by the estate of the late owners. The church auctioned it off. I put one question on the forums about whether a squarestream would be considered a real airstream and eligible for the WBCCI.... and by the time I got back to the auction, someone had exercised the "buy it now" option (at $4K). Wah!....

But happy endings, I ended up with a new one I still like real well.

So, that's one simple and fast way to auction it off!

Paula
Old 04-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
If this doesn't grow legs, I just might do that. I will always have my other Airstream but two doesn't really make sense at this point.
Again, the intent is for the forum to actually own it and restore it with contributions from all of the vendors or whom ever wants to donate little items or time to spruce it up. It could even travel to different ralleys for people to tinker with.
In the end, 1, 2 or 5 years down the road, somebody gets it and the auction proceeds go to charity or something the community benifits from.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I think it's a fantastic idea! And a generous one.

Just keep in mind that it will no doubt end up being a fairly time-consuming part-time job, coodinating all of the various actions and inputs from donors/sponsors/volunteers/interested passersby.

In my non-full-time-working life, I'm also a Founder and Corporate Director of a small non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable corporation. We raise about $10,000 per year from donations at our charitable events, which we then funnel directly into the various charities we support. We are able to do this because all of our overhead for food and beverages at these events are covered by our sponsors, and the rest is simply volunteer efforts that must be coordinated. But I can tell you from a decade of experience that those activities take quite a bit of time to coordinate, and our events aren't anywhere close to as complicated or far-reaching as restoring/renovating an antique trailer coach.

Still, I think it would be well worth your efforts to put in the time for this, and whatever charity or charities benefitted would be tremendously grateful.

The things I'd think about are the following:

1) Establish the charity or charities ahead of time and stick to it. All of your sponsors and donors and volunteers will want to know who will benefit, and you'll need to be able to tell them. This will actually be your strongest selling point for gaining their donations of time and/or money and/or parts and/or labor.

2) Establish the extent of reno/resto you want and stick to it as closely as possible. This way you will be able to line up your sponsors/donors well ahead of time.

3) Establish a timeline for all activities and stick to it as closely as possible. With volunteer labor and donated parts, the schedule will inevitably slip. But you'll need to decide ahead of time if it's going to be a one-year, two-year, or five-year project, because your sponsors and donors will need to know when their input is expected, as well as when to expect the completed project.

4) From the above, I would highly recommend making it a one-year or less project. The excitement and enthusiasm levels will be quite high initially, but these inevitably drop off. If you don't get tangible results quick, you'll run the risk of losing your audience, and the donations of time/labor/parts/money will dry up.

I honestly think it can be done. But it will take a LOT of work to organize it. From my experience, I seldom have a problem finding volunteers to do the work, even hard physical labor. But if the activities are not completely organized and scheduled well in advance, you'll lose a lot of efficiency, and you'll also lose the interest of your volunteers, who WANT to work, but don't want to waste their time waiting around to be told what to do.

Good luck in efforts. If you decide to go through with it, your generosity will be tremendously beneficial to whomever you decide to help.

Best,
-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #13
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
68overlander,

I think your idea to donate your trailer for charity is very generous. Unfortunately we can't take on that project as a "forum project" because of liability issues. I think Jack had the best advice to find a charity, transfer the title to them and then work with vendors to get it fixed up and ultimately sold for the charity.

Regards,

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I guess I misspoke about the "forum" actually doing the project but rather mean't the volunteer "members" of the forum if that makes sense.
Not a bad idea to find some entity to transfer it to though.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
I'm sure you could find some entity to accept this from you. My charitable corporation has taken donated items like this in the past. For example, we used some Dell LCD HDTVs at our events for a couple of years, and then when Dell donated new ones to us, we raffled off the old ones. There are probably organizations that would do it for you that are near you.

Heck, I'd even offer to let my charitable corporation do it, but it would be awfully tough for me to oversee the refurbishment of a 60s Overlander, when that's exactly what I want and I don't even have one of my own yet...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94
Heck, I'd even offer to let my charitable corporation do it, but it would be awfully tough for me to oversee the refurbishment of a 60s Overlander, when that's exactly what I want and I don't even have one of my own yet...
Thats funny.
I'll let the thread accumlate ideas for awhile and maybe something will come of it, maybe not. Thanks for the suggestions, good stuff.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:22 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
One suggestion. Check with your local Hospice. I know our local one has a garage sale nce a year with everything from clothes to cars. Everything is from donations. They can sale it for you and the moeny would go to a worthwhile cause. I am here in Florida near Pensacola, but I am sure most places the Hospices work the same way.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #18

NY , New York
Hi Randy,
Are you still interested in donating your Airstream? I work for an educational non-profit that is looking to acquire a vintage Airstream -- we would definitely be happy to receive a donation -- and make it tax-deductible!
If it's still available and you're interested, I can give you more information.
Thanks!
Sarah
biobus is offline   Reply With Quote