Old 07-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Virginia
Dometic Refrigerator Operation

Fellow Streamers!

I have a 2015 FC 25ft. FB. I'm also an obsessive reader of operation manuals; and probably need psychotherapy for the need to completely understand how something works😉! I'm also very new to this experience, but loving every minute of this grand experiment of my middle age. Now the question. The fridge has three buttons, on and off, auto/gas mode selector button, and temperature set button. It also is equipped with an automatic energy selector control system, which again, the book tells me; selects "the most suitable energy source available. ( the use of "suitable" leads me to ask many follow up questions, scenarios with the thought process, "how does it choose, what is "suitable?" ).

The Dometic manual has a listing of various led displays, and what they mean. 1. Auto Mode : AC operation: one indicator light on
2. Manual LP gas operation: one indicator light

3. Auto mode AND LP gas operation. Two indicator lights on. THIS IS WHAT I CAN'T UNDERSTAND. I do understand that in this modality, I'm running on gas. But please help me physics professors, how can you have both led lights illuminated when you have a selector button that you either "push in" for AC, or "leave out" for LP.? How can you be in both auto mode and gas operation at the same time?

I'm currently hooked up to shore power for an extended period of time. Because of low voltage in the park in sweltering heat, I've switched back and forth between AC and LP to conserve power for the air conditioner. But how you are in AUTO mode and LP gas operation at the same time is still not sinking into my 61-year old brain. I've called Dometic. They can't explain it to me either. Thanks in advance for all of you engineers and experienced folks in advance!

Patti G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
If you are in auto mode and there is no AC power, it will automatically switch to LP gas. That's what it means by auto mode. It tries to run on AC first, and if that's not available. It runs on LP gas.

There is no option for AC only. Only Auto and LP Only. It works because if you have AC, Auto will run on AC. If you don't have AC, they assume you'd want to run on gas or you'd just turn the thing off.

Make sense?

1974 Overlander In Progress
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Tin Man
1983 27' Excella
Currently Looking...
Charlottesville , Virginia
As long as your fridge is staying cold, don't worry about the lights

My only complaint is that the check light is the same color as the others. If it were red it would catch my attention sooner.
83 Excella 27
07 Tundra Limited
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Welcome Patti G. This is a great place to come with questions. Hopefully you will find some answers as well.

Mine is older than yours but this is how mine works.

1. I have an on/off button. Turn it on and a light comes on

2. I have a second button that can toggle between automatic and gas. Make a selection and another light comes on. The automatic setting is usually the way to go. As soon as there is electricity provided to the device the element heats by electricity alone. If you unplug it "automatically" switches over to gas. You can save propane using this feature even though the consumption of propane is quite small here.

3. I have a temperature control button that allows me to select a temperature setting. This also has a light. (3 lights now)

4. When the gas fails to ignite a "check" light comes on.

I love the fridge and the actual mechanics remain a mystery to me. All I know is that it continues to work after 10 years.

Here is another thing to consider. On mine there is a toggle switch hiding just behind the fridge door at the top. It is some sort of "defroster" but I have yet to see any change when I am using it. It should remain off unless you are hooked into electricity. It is a battery drain thing when not. Perhaps someone who full times can speak as to the value of this device but I choose to leave mine off.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Virginia
Thanks everybody for the warm welcome.! I think I got it now...Patti
Old 07-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #6
Home of Vortex tuning
2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I had a fuse blow that powered the AC side of the refer. Both indicator lights at the temp display were lit. It wanted to run on AC but no power so it ran on gas. It is possible to get both, replaced the fuse, back to normal.
"Chip Tank" is in Vacaville Ca..
CDONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Alexandria , Virginia
I did some more experiments and finally figured it out....I had set the fridge to run on auto, and turned off the shore power. When I came back inside, the display had both indicators lighted (auto and gas....) turned on SP...only auto light illuminated. So, it seems to only read " both" when power has been interrupted.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
There are times where you may be sharing electric power with a number of other users, such as at a rally where you are supposed to only draw 3 amps per AS. In such a case you would asked to turn off the "auto" mode and run on "gas". All the control circuits of the the Dometic run off 12-VDC.

AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote