Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Murray , UT
Dometic on 120V? Am I missing something?

Hello All

And a big thanks in advance this forum is awesome!! I love the community vibe and all of the helpful advice!! That being said I recently landed my Argosy in a spot for a few months as i will be working 75 miles from my home and thought why not beat the commute by hanging in the argo a few nights a week. after getting leveled and hooked up i tried to get my fridge going on 120v? switched it to electric and nothing seemed to happen? it was the end of the day and since i had to drive home still i did not spend to much time at it...the fridge functions fine on LP but i have never really tried it on 120v? as ii have not had the coach long.. Any hints would be appreciated..

All the Best

bOot
Bootsinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Make sure it is plugged in to the outlet behind the refer and that there is power to the outlet.
If there is power, you can check for that by opening the outside hatch.
Follow the power cord to where it terminates. Then with your meter set on AC volts, check for 120 volts.
If you have power then look for 2 wires coming from the terminal strip going up and behind the sheet metal covers on the right side. If you have 120 volts on the wires and the sheet metal is not warm or hot to the touch. The heating element is probably bad. It can be replaced.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Murray , UT
After a few Q&A i am realizing that I most likely wasn't patient enough?? I expected to hear something but as i understand there is nothing to hear ?

Thanks Everyone
Bootsinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the freezer floor is getting cold. You are in business. Keep in mind that the electric heating element does not put out the BTU's that the propane burner does. If you find the refer not keeping up in the electric mode. Switch it back to propane, it will do better on the hotter days.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
A Hint, lost the 120 heat element in my 1975 Dometic fridge, old element had cast itself into
mounting hole, did not want to try and drill it out, afraid of making a hole in something I shouldn't
Next to it was another mounting hole, intended for a 12 Volt heater option, almost rusted shut, cleaned it
out with a rat tail file, put new 120 v element in, and it works great.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote