Old 10-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Does this repair look okay? Safari Sport

Just looking for opinions. Had a leak in the front of the trailer. There's another thread with details. Puddle on the floor, mouse fur was saturated under the front window and to the curb side of the front window, and dinette cushions soaked on the curb side. The analysis was that water was building up in the plexiglass cover over the front window. Repair was to cut two notches into the rubber gasket seal at the bottom.

Maybe they were supposed to be there from the beginning. Does anyone else have non-panoramic windows with a plexiglass window over it? Are there notches at the base of the seal? It sill leaks inside the trailer. Trying to figure out where it could be coming from.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121017_01.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	170568   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121017_02.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	170569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121017_03.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	170570  

Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I don't believe that's your answer. You need to find where the leak in the shell is. Mine is not exactly like yours, but there are no "drains" in my rock guard.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Check the rooftop radio antenna seal and the winegard antenna mount.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
At the same time they cut the notches, they went up on the roof and re-sealed everything. It's odd that the water is under the window and to the curb side or the window. Above the window is fine. Street side from the window is fine. I'm waiting for a reply from Airstream. Not sure what they'll want me to do. It spent 60+ days this year in service centers already.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
"Tinbad ... the Trailer"

1971 25' Tradewind
1965 26' Overlander
Ferndale , Washington
nesvt; I just replaced the plexy and gasket on my tt rock guard. No "notches" in gasket.
I had my tt "re-sealed" as well and they missed two areas.
The gasket sealing the Fantastic Fan plexy "dome" had separated where the two ends meet.
The F-fan caulking can not be well inspected unless the "dome" is in up position. So double check that area.
As regards your description of the "wet areas".....note that water can travel in the most unexpected directions.....you may want to check all your exterior running light bases and gaskets as well.
Un-likely it's coming through the window frame gasket.....but there are little notches in the bottom that allow drainage (and a little ventilation)....if they are clogged up you'd get a back up inside.
Good luck
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
I'll have to get on top and check the entire roof again. Never thought about the water traveling from the other end of the trailer. Have been focusing around and above this leak.
I don't have a Fantastic Fan, but the skylight dome was broken when we got the trailer. They replaced it before we picked it up, and I also had it re-checked at the first trip to the service center.
Yes, as a matter of fact, two of the running lights had water in them. They removed and re-sealed at the same time those notches were cut. They also checked all of the other lights.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another opinion to find out where actual trailer (skins and windows) is leaking, and why.. Nobody else has "Notches" and they're not needed of window seal and other possible openings are water-tight.... Sorry to hear of troubles.. We did discover a while back that small leak related to impropoer adjustment of front window latches, which weren't pulling glass and frame tight enough against rubber window gasket...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Did they do a pressurized leak test of your trailer?
Some dealers have a device to pressurize the trailer then they put soapy water on the outside of the trailer to find bubbles.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Sounds like there shouldn't be any notches cut in that seal. Super.

I don't mean to sound so negative about the repair attempts. The first authorized service center was great to work with, went over everything on my list, and even checked and repaired things I did not notice. The second place is very new, but they were also fine to work with. I just want the leaks to stop.

As far as the leak test, I asked. Was told they don't use Sealtek testers because of the amount of seams and rivets on the trailer... the pressure test would show air where there are in fact no leaks.

When the leak at the front was first noticed, I saw mold... at least I thought it was mold. There was a grey/black fuzz on the wall just an inch above the floor. This is where it was the most wet. It was small. Only a couple inches. I asked them to check and was told they did not find any mold. Just wondering what the inner walls look like..... and the floor under the vinyl.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesvt View Post

As far as the leak test, I asked. Was told they don't use Sealtek testers because of the amount of seams and rivets on the trailer... the pressure test would show air where there are in fact no leaks.

It there were no leaks, then air wouldn't leak out either. It's not like they air the trailer up as much as a tire.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Your repair job of the gaskets being cut is not any repair at all... if they did that, they were assuming the water was pooling behind the gasket and leaking into the lower window seal. The fix (if that was the issue) would have been to re-glaze or re-seal the window. You're leak could be coming from higher, but it is doubtful... if it is under the window, it's fairly hard for water to get from the shell around the window and directly underneath.

Have you checked the C-channel where the shell bolts on? Is there water in it? That is another way for water to travel a long way from its source.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Okay I'm gonna repeat myself which I rarely do but back in May I suggested you take it to Colin and have him sealtech it for leaks. Just do it. Seal it yourself and be done with it. Warranty or not, for a couple hundred you could be done with this. If your trailer floor keeps getting wet you are going to be in serious trouble. You paid more to get winterized than he'd probably charge you. Cripes, I'm telling you this knowing it will probably delay work on my own trailer which supposedly goes in next week ...
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:44 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
lol. Hey reinergirl! How have you been? Why not repeat yourself? I do it all the time, but then again, I still have a kid in the house.

The trips to the two different authorized repair centers have involved more than this leak under the window. It's been everything from the water pouring out under the shower outside, to replacing the entrance door handle, broken microwave, sensors, tambour door, lifted floor covering, thermostat, new battery, hitch cable,broken jack lift, missing parts, leaking Italian bathroom faucet, and more. That reminds me, I wonder why my battery keeps draining? It's brand new. Anyway, for this last visit, they dropped the grey tank again and installed a new sensor. With a change in jobs last year and a salary cut in half, I can't afford anything out of my own pocket. You may see my kidney listed on craigslist soon. Was attempting to utilize the so-called warranty. Yet, it seems I am paying in both time, money, and indigestion.

If I had known a new trailer would have so many issues that would end up costing me more, I would have purchased a used Airstream and had it restored by Colin. At this point, I'm 50/50 on making another attempt to repair the leak or give up and check into the Lemon Law. I believe in Vermont it requires three attempts at a repair -or- thirty days at a repair center (cumulative or consecutive) while under warranty. It's spent 60+ days at service centers in the last year.

I contacted Airstream three days ago. Specifically requested approval to bring it to Colin to determine the source of the leak and fix it. Still no reply. I'm probably on their "list".
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
They want me to bring it back to NJ, drop it off, return to VT, wait until it's fixed again, then go from VT back to NJ to pick it up, and return home.
Can't remember what they said about the Sealtek testing. Something about not a lot of faith or it showing lots of leaks where there aren't any.

Still thinking about it all. If I want to get it fixed permanently and have them pay for as much as possible (does it need new window gaskets, etc), I should probably bring it to Colin, have him Sealtek test it, mark with a black sharpie marker where it is leaking, bring it to NJ for the actual repairs, bring it home when it's done, and see if I can remove the sharpie marks. Yeah, that's it.