Old 10-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Why not take an early vacation and just take it to JC and have them fix it. With all the driving back and forth to Colin and NJ it would probably be less expensive n the long run.
you could stay over night there and "supervise" the work.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesvt View Post
Can't remember what they said about the Sealtek testing. Something about not a lot of faith or it showing lots of leaks where there aren't any.
That sounds like the dealer is trying to scam Airstream at your expense.
Keep getting Airstream to pay them to try to fix it and have you bring it back after you find out it didn't work.

Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Green Mountains , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
Why not take an early vacation and just take it to JC and have them fix it. With all the driving back and forth to Colin and NJ it would probably be less expensive n the long run.
you could stay over night there and "supervise" the work.
That's an interesting idea. One roundtrip to JC is about the same as two trips to NJ.... and the terra port is free, right? I've had to pay for the overnight campground stays myself during these repairs. I only have a couple of vacation days left and was hoping to save them for the holidays. Stupid question... do they have WiFi at the terraport? I work over the internet. I could pitch a tent during the day or work from my vehicle. Don't laugh. Well, okay. Laugh.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I had a recurring leak that looked like it was coming through a pano. Turned out it was from the hinge of the center solar guard. It's something I now keep an eye on.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
That sounds like the dealer is trying to scam Airstream at your expense.
Keep getting Airstream to pay them to try to fix it and have you bring it back after you find out it didn't work.

Maybe I'm just being cynical.
Actually, I was told this twice. Once from the dealer. Once from Airstream customer service. I think the latter was because I asked them to pay to get it Sealtek tested at Colin Hyde's shop.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #20
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
The terraport is free if you are having service performed, $10 otherwise. WiFi is available at your campsite and when your trailer is in the service bay you can work in the customer lounge area.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia
We were just at Jackson Center on Monday and both my husband and I worked from there. Wifi connection was good both at the terraport and inside service center but phone service wasn't good in the service center (not sure about outside - didn't check) . My huband has ATT and had no bars so couldn't use his phone for calls. I have Verizon, had one bar and was able to make phone calls okay.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I think the leak is around the glazing or window frame on the panoramic window. Ask me how I know.......... Fixed with Acyl-R.
The dark spot behind the mouse fur could possibly be where a rivet is rubbing and making aluminum dust that shows up through the wall covering. Oxyclean may help clean that spot.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
I suggest you check for gaps where the rubber gasket is glued together at the corners of the front center window.

I had a large leak in the Center Panoramic Window of my trailer. The leaking water filled the lower channel between the window screen and the window glass. The water then over flowed through the window latches and ran down the interior wall and soaked the mattress. The problem was caused by small gaps where the Upper and Lower gaskets were glued to Road Side gasket. By chance I found the source of the leak by sitting in the trailer on a rainy day and unlatching the window without opening it, and to my amazement the water stopped filling the lower channel. The RV tech that fixed it for me used a black rubber product made by the 3M Company. After the gaps were filled no more leak.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Thanks again for the replies, info, and suggestions.

I can't get any time off from work right now. May try another approach and attempt to fix it myself. I have other issues like a loose door handle, brand new battery going dead, leak under the shower, circuit breakers that are wired differently than shown in the manual.... will consider a trip to NJ or OH next Spring. Just need to focus on the leak near the front window to avoid more damage.

It was windy yesterday. Inside the trailer, I can hear air hissing through the front window. It was closed. It rained hard yesterday. This morning, the wall is wet again. I can see water on the window screen inside. I can see watermarks running vertically on the outside glass, under the plexiglass window.

Took a closer look. Took some pictures. They are not the best. Need suggestions on what caulking/sealant to use for four different "gaps". Hopefully something I can buy at Lowes or Home Depot.

1. On the plexiglass window, there are two metal strips/brackets with a line of grey caulking running horizontally. It's part of the assembly for the plexiglass window. The caulking looks good for the few inches on the left; the rest is open all the way to the right side. This is metal on metal with grey caulking.

2. The glass window has black caulking around the top. I can see where it was touched up at one of the service centers. Looks like there is still some small holes. This looks like black caulking between rubber and an aluminum panel.

3. There is a two inch gap in the seal at the bottom of the glass window. This is black caulking between glass and the rubber seal.

4. Noticed a small gap on the roof near the skylight. This is white caulking between the plastic frame of the skylight and the white aluminum panel.

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20121020_01.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	170857   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121020_03.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	170858  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20121020_04.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	170859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20121020_05.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	170860  

Old 10-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
When I acquired my trailer from its PO, I noticed that there was evidence of a leak somewhere in the front streetside corner (mold on the arm of the gaucho). Since I had made an appointment to have corner segment protectors installed at Jackson Center, when I arrived I asked that priority be given to and fixing the leak.

It turned out that the leak was caused by dried up and missing caulking (sealant) around the corner window which was covered by the plexiglass stone guard. JC resealed the front windows and put a new gasket around the front window. They then water tested the repair, which was successful. At the same time, the water test showed that there was some water seeping in around several of the rivets where the roof meets the front end cap (the Fantastic Fan housing had been dropped as I asked them to install a cellular antenna just in front of the fan.

That repair was more involved, as JC had to remove part of the interior to drill out and hand buck in new rivets. During the time this was done I stayed with the trailer – it was moved out to the terraport and the end of the work day so I could live in it and then hauled back in at 7:30am the next day.

You may want to consider talking with Chris at JC to set up an appointment - if it is only the window seals & gaskets, it would likely be a one-day job, and you’ll know it was done right.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 22' Sport
Update-
I went to Jackson Center. Stayed six nights. All week. They did an outstanding job. Spent all week on the trailer. I could not get time off, but was able to work over their internet without any problems.

You want details?
Leak from the front window-Water run over the front of the trailer for hours, but no apparent leaking inside. Put it through the Sealtech machine and noted large bubbles in several areas including the front window, window cover, window cover arm bracket mount on trailer, awning bracket, and more. Everything was sealed or removed and replaced, then re-tested.

They removed a lot of the furniture inside and took down the mouse fur. Removed the front panel inside under the window. Peeled back the vinyl floor. Checked for damage on the floor. Replaced the panel, re-taped the panels inside on the walls and ceiling, put new matching mouse fur on sections that had stained. Re-glued in other places.

Leak under the shower-Water run into the shower drain did not find leak. Ended up pressurizing water system and located faulty fitting. They replaced seven feet of water line and the fittings. They also removed the caulking in and around the shower and re-caulked.

They spent a few hours removing all the old caulking on the roof around the vents, awning rails, antenna, and re-sealed. They also touched up several spots around the trailer.

They don't cover filiform under warranty, but we had a great deal on the day we drove it off the lot (where it sat for several years). Most of the noticeable filiform was at the horizontal seam all around the trailer. They removed the corrosion, treated it, and installed a belt-line around the trailer. I think it looks great.

There was a list of other things- door tightening, shade replacement, water spout on fresh tank, inside trim piece, tambour door track.
Everything went great. Everything covered under warranty. Close to 40 hours plus parts. The technician that did the work was great keeping me informed throughout the day. Trailer returned to the terra-port each day at 4pm.

Looking forward to the next trip.

Norm
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Glad it all went well, Norm. Co-incidentally, I'm now in JC getting service done. Each time I head south for the winter or back home in the spring, I pass through JC and make sure that all my running gear is A-OK. Right now I'm waiting while they do an axle alignment - the trip I took to Northern Ontario at the end of August over roads that were under construction (imagine the Trans-Canada Highway with 10-miles of potholed dirt road) managed to put an axle out of alignment to the extent that within 2,000 miles of driving, one tire was totally worn.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Norm, you have a rebuilt trailer! Good for you.

Gene