Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Whoa, this thread took a turn. Originally awetsch was asking a question pertaining to a 1961 Overlander. All useful info here but odds are he was tossed a curve with the horizontal mounted shock. awetsch, if you're scratching you head about horizontally mounted shocks our era rigs have vertical mounted. Decent grade auto shocks have worked fine for me. Its these new post '60s "modern" rigs that have there shocks on sideways!!!!!!!!!!!!!

putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
1970 29' Ambassador
1959 22' Flying Cloud
1957 26' Overlander
Reno , Nevada
Send a message via AIM to albert Send a message via Yahoo to albert
OK, the shocks are going to be put on!!!! Thanks to Andy for supplying me with e mounts etc. now to find a welder to do the dirty work as the axle installer, cut off my frame mounts! WHY? I have NO idea!
Are there any photos of what the shocks like like in place? reason for asking is that when I peeked underneath today I noticed that the frame mounts are at the back of each axle, so Im not sure how they will connect to the axle...

albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Here is photo from underneath looking towards front Shocks mount at top of axle mount and slope down to frame mount ahead of axle, at least on our '88 Excella... As wheels rise and trailing arm goes up, it compresses shocks.

(These are new Monroe Yellow RV Gas shocks, painted a more subtle gray color to avoid standing out like sore....)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axles-Shocks-new.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	206875  

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member
1961 26' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Putback, things did get a little off course, haha, but my questions were answered after talking to Colin and Andy on the phone. Thanks everyone for your answers!

awetsch is offline   Reply With Quote