Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
Do I caulk here, yes or no?

After a lot of anxiety, my sealing job on my 1981 Excella is off to a good start (several windows complete). I'm still confused about where to apply caulk and have some specific questions with pictures below.

Not sure how to match text to pictures so I'll just number them…

#1 This is my curb side awning rail. Someone said I should caulk on top/cover each rivet, in addition to sealing along the top seam. Is this true? If so, I assume it's so for the front and back awning as well.

#2 This is the light over my door. Do I need to remove it to seal somewhere underneath, or just seal along the sides and top?

#3 Not sure what you call this whole brake light panel. I was told to seal the top of the upper rub rail (which runs along the top of these lights) and the top of the lower rub rail (which runs below them). My question is this, if I can somehow get a small syringe of caulk in below the light panel (which would be the top of the lower rub rail), do I really want to seal there since it would not allow any potential water in the lights to drain out? Well, another question too: is there anywhere I need to seal around each individual light in this panel?

#4 Not sure what you call this light in the back. Again, I was told to seal along the top of this rub rail. What do I do when I get to the light? I assume seal the top and sides? What about underneath the light which is on top of the rub rail--again the concern it might trap any potential water.

Thanks everyone!!!
Kim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 10.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	211480   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 11.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	211481  

Name:	Image 12.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	211482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 13.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	211483  

simple sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Seal above all the awning rails. Remove old caulk. Put Parbond as first layer then Trempro 635 on top of that. You probably don't need to seal rivets that are solid rivets. If they are pop rivets holding on the awning rails then Parbond them. Any loose solid rivets need sealing.

The light above the door has a cover that comes off. Remove the cover and seal below it. Parbond then Trempro. Sometimes Parbond is enough. Put Parbond under the screw heads to seal them but don't caulk the outside of the cover.

Use Parbond on the clearance light thing or remove it and Trempro the wires and Parbond around screw heads.

Remove the tail light assemblies. There is a plastic box on the back side. Make sure you seal all areas of that box to the shell. They are most likely leaking. They tend to crack. I would seal the top of the rub rail with Trempro.

I had lots of leak problems from loose rivets around the door and to both sides of the door where there are rivets. I also had problems with leaks around fixed windows. The gaskets go bad and water gets in the trailer and between the two panes of glass. Seal seams in the window frames. Seal around all window frames with Parbond and the Trempro if you need to fill large gaps of make a fillet. The big window to the right of the door was a leaker.

Pull the sewer vents and put in a new gasket. The ones that it comes with last a couple yrs. I am using Trempro only around the pipe to skin joint and it is doing ok. Trempro and the stock gasket over that would not hurt. I would put a big fillet of Trempro around the pipe let it dry then use the gasket.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
thanks perry!!! real helpful to hear about the door light and tail light removal. i might have more questions once i pull those if it's not self explanatory where to put the caulk. while i did buy parrbond and have it on hand, i've only been using trempro 635 over top of windows and along the sides (both sides taped off, caulk applied with small syringe, smoothed in with my finger)…hope that works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	211531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	211532  

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Looks good.

Perry
Old 05-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

, North Carolina
Thanks Perry. Some relief to get a thumbs up. I'm a slow caulker! Some new questions and pictures below. Hoping to get to a lot of this tomorrow/Mother's Day and Monday while the weather forecast is clear!

#1 How do I seal over the front and back end windows when there is an awning there? The front one in particular sits directly on top of the window (see picture below). Is it relatively easy to unscrew the bolt at the end of the tube and slide the awning out (and get back in)? There is no diagram for the awnings in my manual.

#2 When i seal around the box behind the tail lights (second picture), do I wait and let that cure before I replace the assembly or do it while wet so it can help with sealing? Would i also put some tremrpo in the screw holes? If so, will it be possible to remove the tail light assembly easily if I need to replace a bulb? And do I seal around/in the big hole where the wires are coming in or assume doing the perimeter will prevent water from going there?

#3 For the light over the door, when I remove the cover there is just the one hole for the wires which has some sort of small gasket (third picture). Do I need to get a new one or just trempro around it as well as the holes for the screws before replacing the cover?

#4 The rain gutter over the door is different than the ones over the windows (see picture)…there are two lips. Do I caulk and cover over all of this to the outer edge or just to the most interior lip?

Thanks all for reading and advising! If I can't have an experienced renovator in person by my side, I feel better knowing I can rely on support here!
~Kim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image 7.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	211642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 4.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	211643  

Name:	Image 5.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	211644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	211645  

Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would put the Trempro over that gromet area so it won't leak. Put some over the screw hole and install the screw wet. Seal both lips around the top of the door. Parbond then Trempro if you need it.

Clean everything well. Those plastic boxes you want to seal any place it can leak. You don't want to seal the tail light to the box. Water is supposed to be able to get out of there. Mine leaked where the box touched the skin and was maybe cracked in a spot or two. Won't hurt to seal the wires as well. let everything dry before replacing the tail lights bit it won't hurt to have some Trempro where the screws go through. You can use that wet.

I removed my awning brackets that were already loose and then sealed the window frame then put Trempro under the bracket and riveted it on. Use Parbond over the top edge if needed and on all the pop rivet heads.

Perry
Old 05-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Nice post Perryg114

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
When in doubt , glue it shut!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Before sealing the tail light assembly, you may want to consider upgrading the lights to LED's. I did that on my '87 Excella - got them from Dan at LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles - check out the videos about these lights that he has on his site.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The sealing I am talking about has nothing to do with what sort of lights you are using. Seal the plastic cup and you will be fine. When you get around to upgrading to LED tails lights you just insert them into the cups for the existing lights. Leaks are your first order of business. The rest can wait.

Perry
Old 05-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1989 32' Excella
Bay City , Texas
where can parbond and tempro be purchased?
capt ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt ken View Post
where can parbond and tempro be purchased?
Airstreamsupply.com has them both. I am sure there are others as well.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Vintage trailer supply has both and Fastenal has the Trempro.

Perry