Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
DIY propane cylinder lock

Instead of spending money on a lock contraption for the propane cylinders, I did this...

First, bend down one of the "ears" of the giant wing nut until its parallel with the aluminum support bracket that the long all-thread bolt goes through.
https://i.imgur.com/9NVl2xb.jpg

Im sure you can already see the solution. Slide the wing nut rubber out of the way. Drill a hole through the wing nut so that your padlock hasp will go through. Then turn the wing nut until it's aligned with the aluminum support bracket. Mark where you want the hole AND THEN MOVE THE WINGNUT OUT OF THE WAY. Don't try to drill the hole through the aluminum with the drill bit still going through the wing nut. That's a sure way do Injure/damage something.
https://i.imgur.com/YExJWr4.jpg

Now your padlock will secure the wing nut to the support bracket. I stretched a piece of old bicycle innertube over the padlock, and another piece over the bracket that holds the two tanks in position. This eliminates any clanging. Return the wing nut rubber and cut holes as needed.
https://i.imgur.com/M1EAOUQ.jpg

And here's how it looks locked. I drilled the holes just barely larger than the diameter of the lock hasp. Because of the close tolerances, I'm unable to "rotate" the lock into a convenient position for unlocking, but this also seems like a further inconvenience for a would-be thief. You could drill larger holes allowing for padlock rotation, or insert the lock "upside down". If you keep it tight like I did, you may want to keep the key on a cord for easier retrieval if it drops.
https://i.imgur.com/J1Hvx4i.jpg

--Sean
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:21 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
I go the low tech route and use a strong steel cable with lock. That said, I will keep on record your more elegant solution. Thanks.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , California
Great idea. That’s next on the list.

Thanks
mike1up5dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Santa Rosa , California
dh and mike, if you try this, post your results here

--Sean
SeanWasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I wondered why more people don't do that!
Someone is selling a specific tank lock for $80! Yikes!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Auburn , California
So here is my version. The wing nut is a little different. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	317378

Mike
mike1up5dn is offline   Reply With Quote