Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
I just sold my 77 Excella to Warner Bros. Productions in Vancouver, BC. Are you aware that 77 AS's have vacuum over hydralic brakes? The brakes are hydralic but attivated by vacuum through a hose which must be attached to your tow vehicle. Of course, a vacuum line most be routed to the rear of your tow vechile. I didn't know this until after I purchased mine. Everyone I consulted said, "convert to electric because the vacuum system is not reliable". There is a conversion unit by "AccuBrake" which sells for around $700.00 plus installation. Warner Bros. wasn't concerned so they bought it as is. It will be featured in the movie, "Cats and Dogs II" Good Luck, Airstray
Contrary to some opinions, the Excella-vac disc brakes that Airstream used, was far superior to any travel trailer electric brake system ever devised.

The false story that you heard, is usually caused by a lack of knowledge as to how to repair them and where to obtain parts for them.

We have had all the remaining original disc brake parts for some time.

Yes, the old actuator can be replaced with the Actibrake, and works very well. It also eliminates the need for a source of vacuum.

Disc brakes, always have and always will, be superior in performance to electric brakes. Disc brakes are also superior to the old style hydraulic brakes that was used on cars and trucks for many years.

Disc brakes also cost less to maintain, than electric brakes.

Andy

Old 11-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer View Post
If I may add to my above thinking on the axle rubber improvement. I am guessing that Airstream stocked as few axles as they could get away with during a production cycle. After all Henschen was just down the street (or at least nearby). So good purchasing practice would be to let Henschen inventory and stock the axles, thus incurring no expense onto Airstream until the latest date.
I also will guess that Henschen did not market axles with regards to a model year market. So perhaps we can deduct that the rubber improvement was instigated as soon as it was determined to be an improvement. But the act of removing old style rubbers from the axle shafts was such a difficult and time consuming task that I seriously doubt Henschen went back and converted those in the inventory warehouse.
Therefore can not we assume that not every '74 and a half or '75 Airstream was fitted with axles that contained the new rubbers. Perhaps even some '76's or later might have the old. Not a happy thought, but just my guess at common sense axle marketing.
I guess all this axle talk belongs on some other thread, sorta.

All 1974 and older Airstreams, had axles with the incorrect composition of rubber rods.

Torsion axles, regardless of the manufacturer, will fail, when not used some what frequently. Parking a unit equipped with torsion axles, without removing most of the weight from the axles, is an absolute death sentence for the rubber rods.

Axles are being replaced on 2005 and 2006 trailers, due to failures.

Rubber must be exercised, to stay alive.

Andy

Old 11-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
1977 31' Excella 500
1966 26' Overlander
Shelton , Washington
Disc brakes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Contrary to some opinions, the Excella-vac disc brakes that Airstream used, was far superior to any travel trailer electric brake system ever devised.

The false story that you heard, is usually caused by a lack of knowledge as to how to repair them and where to obtain parts for them.

We have had all the remaining original disc brake parts for some time.

Yes, the old actuator can be replaced with the Actibrake, and works very well. It also eliminates the need for a source of vacuum.

Disc brakes, always have and always will, be superior in performance to electric brakes. Disc brakes are also superior to the old style hydraulic brakes that was used on cars and trucks for many years.

Disc brakes also cost less to maintain, than electric brakes.

Andy
I agree with Andy. I didn't mean to imply that you should change to electric brackes. I meant to say, the Actibrake, which electrically activates the hydraulic disc brakes, is the better choice, in my opinion. That's why I mention the Actibrake conversion. Airstray
Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstray View Post
I agree with Andy. I didn't mean to imply that you should change to electric brackes. I meant to say, the Actibrake, which electrically activates the hydraulic disc brakes, is the better choice, in my opinion. That's why I mention the Actibrake conversion. Airstray
If and when the original disc brake actuator that's in the large container behind the LPG fails, all is not lost.

It can be replaced with the best actuator on the market, which is Actibrake.

The Acribrake actuator can be mounted behind the front lounge instead of outside, where it's prey to being borrowed by those unfriendly people, that enjoy stealing.

Adding a couple of wires, and the job is done.

The need for a "vacuum" supply is no longer necessary when using the Actibrake.

We rebuild the original actuator "sync valves," and then test them to assure proper operation.

Unfortunately, the "vacuum booster" is subject to internal failure because of rust. When that happens, simply replace the complete booster assembly, with the Actibrake, and it's done.

Then all you have to do, is go back to enjoying Airstreaming.

Andy
Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd48463 View Post

Well, I have been going through everything with my "new to me" 1977 Excella. I am beginning to think that I overpaid! Here is a list of the major projects needed:

1. New Tires ( bought 4 new yokohama's this weekend; plus shocks, balancers, lug nuts & weld 2 mounts)

3. New Awning Material (stiching is deteriorated; have two brands/colors)

5. [Rear] Bathroom floor rot from a toilet supply valve leak.

7. Small floor rot under [starboard front window]

8. Electrical [original inverter problematic]
Any advice?

Nate
We bought a trailer built to a higher standard than an A/S and these were problems shared with ours; and we paid a good deal more than you for a nice, two-owner trailer. I think that all trailers of this age -- outside of the very few that were garaged in a climate beneficial to long storage -- will have problems of this sort. Then, there are problems endemic to each brand with differing methods of construction and materials.

$5,000 is cheap, IMO, even if you spend three times that, in total, for a "new" trailer a little ways down the road. I see some very nice A/S trailers on this site that have been gone through and it is obvious their owners enjoy them greatly. I hope you have no serious metal-related "rot" (the reason A/S trailers were third on my list of brands to purchase) and that the work is as pleasurable, in the end, as some of your camping trips.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote