Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Graford , Texas
Discouraged again!

So we traded in the new kz connect due to so many issues and unhappy with the service for a 2020 Globetrotter 23’. Upon picking it up at the airstream dealer they said oh forgot to mention there is a very small crack in one of the inside wood panels and they have one on order and also they couldn’t get the tv antenna to work so ordered another one. Well if I had known this during the negotiation process perhaps we would have tried to negotiate the price a little lower! So took it out for a couple nights for a test run before our big trip in October, went to dump the black and grey and neither would work! Called the dealer and they had us try a couple different things and nothing worked. So off we go tomorrow on a 2 hr trip to the dealer tomorrow to have it fixed. This is precisely why we spent tons more to get an airstream, thinking there would be less problems. Love it otherwise. So much easier for hubby to tow. Just had to vent. So mad!
Quiltermimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Give it a 100% top to bottom, front to back check over

Frustration is a better term I use. Experience of owning a previous Airstream, with a personal pre-purchase shake down, discovers these kinds of issues.

My first Airstream was the 2006 23 foot Safari. I was not mad... I was SICK to my stomach when we ended up with a list of problems. Although after taking it to Jackson Center... it was a wonderful, dependable trailer. Hopefully you have the new 15 inch Goodyear tires.

Our Dealer was indifferent... 'will fit you in... someday when the Moon and Jupiter align' type of attitude.

You now own this trailer. The Dealer is giving you the attention immediately.

Get a note pad. Check everything. EVERYTHING to know it is operational. Fill the Fresh Water Tank. Add Water to the Black and Grey. Connect to 30 amp power and check the Air Conditioner.

Once cool... fire up the furnace if possible.

Dometic refrigerator fan... does it work? Is it noisy? If it vents through the roof...not an issue.

Outside shower head and hose work under pressure?

Is your water pump... NOISY? Maybe they can tame the 'BEAST'. You will know noisy from quiet.

Does the Radio, Television work? Faucets. Have water under pressure. Any Leaks. Have the hot water tank on electric. Then to Propane. Refrigerator on electric, and then on propane. Are Propane tanks FULL? (They should be full.)

Does your awning pull out, retract and secure as it should.

Windows, open and close. Shades roll up properly. Fan(s) on ceiling operational?

Open and close all drawers and cabinet doors. Plastic locking mechanisms will click shut. Any hinges loose? Wiggle them. Either snug... or they have play.

Batteries need to be checked. Often they come DEAD from sitting and not charged. Check the voltage of the BATTERIES without being plugged in. Do they discharge fast, or keep a charge? This is a frequent problem on trailers that have been around since early 2019. You may be fine... but check them anyways.

Do you have a spare tire? Check the air pressure in your tires. Have the dealer check the wheel torque. Get a ladder to look at the top. Any wires or covers look not attached?

This is a House on Wheels. The final inspection by someone who has owned an Airstream or two learned this the... same way you are learning. By discovering any small problems on this trip to the Dealer... have them properly walk you through the entire trailer, showing HOW to operate everything. Don't be in a hurry this time to get home. If you are not satisfied, ask to camp out in their lot.

The buyer should not be responsible to check and verify... but you have to. The dealer may have fifty trailers on the lot and they cannot catch everything.

Arid and Hot climates will create shrinkage on inside panels. I see that in new trailers sitting on the lot. Sometimes by having a five gallon bucket of water sitting in the shower will add humidity in an arid hot trailer. That might help prevent cracking of a panel. Not only walls... but the overhead cabinet interiors. Especially the bottom surface panel and sides.

The 23 foot is a go anywhere Airstream. Have it set up as if you are going to keep it forever. Eventually you will be getting a 25 foot Airstream and will know HOW to check the entire trailer out and before you buy... have it fixed.

Our current 2019 27 foot International had a final walk through before we signed the check. When we did the through check list, like above and others, we are 100% satisfied. Airstream of Las Vegas... a hearty Thank You. Job well done.

Your Dealer seems to be responding to your issues. Check it out now. Not after you return home. After a few uneventful trips... you will be grinning. Your reward for hanging in there. We did after our first Airstream, a 23 foot. Kept it for 8 years. Learned a lot. You will as well.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
That is an issue with your dealer, really,

They didn't do a proper pre delivery inspection. No trailer from any manufacturer is perfect off the assembly line. Dealer is ultimately taking down margin dollars on the transaction and needs to put in the work effort to deliver an issue-free unit to the end customer.

I wouldn't blame airstream, you don't know if root cause of the issues - maybe the dealer was the one that messed it up in the first place
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Sorry to hear about your troubles. We’ve all had some kind of issue, some worse than others. Once you get it sorted out, I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. As you mentioned, an Airstream is a dream to tow. And, your new 23’ GT is a really nice combination of features + size. We moved up from a Flying Cloud 23FB to our 27’ Globetrotter and haven’t regretted it.

Welcome to the Airstream Community!
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #5
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltermimi View Post
So we traded in the new kz connect due to so many issues and unhappy with the service for a 2020 Globetrotter 23’. Upon picking it up at the airstream dealer they said oh forgot to mention there is a very small crack in one of the inside wood panels and they have one on order and also they couldn’t get the tv antenna to work so ordered another one. Well if I had known this during the negotiation process perhaps we would have tried to negotiate the price a little lower! So took it out for a couple nights for a test run before our big trip in October, went to dump the black and grey and neither would work! Called the dealer and they had us try a couple different things and nothing worked. So off we go tomorrow on a 2 hr trip to the dealer tomorrow to have it fixed. This is precisely why we spent tons more to get an airstream, thinking there would be less problems. Love it otherwise. So much easier for hubby to tow. Just had to vent. So mad!
Hi Quiltermimi,*

Congratulations on your new Airstream. We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. We know you are taking it in to get fixed, but please let us know if any assistance is needed. Please do not hesitate to reach out.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 09-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #6
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The issues about whether Airstreams are really a premium trailer have been argued on this Forum for many years. Some owners think they are essentially problem free, others say they have many, many problems and aren’t worth the money, some have dealers that don’t seem to care, some will claim all RV’s have problems and relax, and so it goes on and on. We had around 60 items to fix during the warranty period and had to take it to Airstream in Jackson Center twice since the Colorado dealer was very difficult to deal with. It appears quality control is spotty and it is a crap shoot whether you get one with lots of problems or few. Good luck getting things fixed. And I agree, they are easier to tow than boxy trailers.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Exclamation Dealer QC Responsibility for Delivery

According to a former (10 years) AS mechanic who went rouge & began his own business; dealers are required to do the final inspection & repairs before delivery to we, the customers.

They do it at their own expense. This should speak for itself. When in doubt, follow the money. Some businesses (dealers) will be willing to step up & do the right thing. They will hire/train/pay their employees to do what is right. Others, well, as I said before...
So 'em
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Just a note: If the TV doesn't work (antenna) it may not be the antenna. It could be the Wingard TV booster. It's the switchplate like device on the wall near the tv that the cable comes out of to the antenna connection on the TV. There is a "booster" button that has to be pressed to get the antenna to work. If that is not the problem, take the panel off the wall (two screws) and look at the circuit board inside. Is the TV antenna hooked to it? You will also see the CATV (cable) connection coming from the outside cable/sat compartment.

You might say, "It's not my problem to fix this stuff", but just remember, if you can fix a simple problem, you don't have to schedule and appointment with the dealer and live with the problem for 3 months! It's also a good thing to learn about how your Airstream works and how to keep it running. This might be the perfect time to learn about one thing in your trailer. Pretty soon you will understand all of it and feel more confident traveling in it.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I was surprised to read above that the dealer does not get paid for the final inspection. Some years ago they got paid something more than $200 for that inspection. Of course, some of them just pocketed the money, did a quickie inspection and figured they could get paid again when warranty work inevitably came along.

Even during the warranty period I did fix some things myself just to get it done. I did it resentfully because my time is worth more to me than working for Airatream for free to fulfill their obligations.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
We bought a 2017 International Serenity. We have a few issues, but nothing to severe:
1). Had some AC vents that would fall down while traveling. Easy fix.
2). Our vanity door with mirror would come open while traveling. Just put an extra latch on it. Easy fix.
3). We had a hole in the awning. That was fixed.
4). Our batteries were crap from sitting on the lot. Found that out too late. We did buy new batteries. No problems since.
5). Our mixing valve also went out. I could have gotten a replacement part from AS, but the fix was too easy. Just ordered one up on Amazon, came in 2 days, and installed myself since the dealer is 3 hours away. Not worth the trip.

But that’s about it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post

You might say, "It's not my problem to fix this stuff", but just remember, if you can fix a simple problem, you don't have to schedule and appointment with the dealer and live with the problem for 3 months! It's also a good thing to learn about how your Airstream works and how to keep it running. This might be the perfect time to learn about one thing in your trailer. Pretty soon you will understand all of it and feel more confident traveling in it.
I agree with this statement. Learn how to fix things yourself. Your AS will not always be in warranty. The only thing I didn’t want to tackle was putting the new power awning on. That is a big big task. Some things you can tackle and other things just get it done by a pro. The more things you learn the better off you will be when you are out on the road and something needs to be fixed.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote