Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Disappointed in Dealer Body Work.

Hello all,

I was hoping to get an opinion from those that might have some experience with the following. We had a bad storm come through our area that caused a tree branch to fall onto the front top right "quarter panel" of our 23ft 2009 Airstream. The damage was limited to just the center area of that corner panel and did not cross over to other aluminum sheets. So basically the repair entailed just replacing the rounded corner sheet. I picked the trailer up the other day from an "authorized dealer" and was not exactly happy with the work performed. I was expecting the trailer to look like what I would expect my car to look like after getting it back from a body shop. I expected the repair to look as if the trailer just stepped off the factor line. Perfect. Well it did not. It wasn't an awful job. But there were noticeable imperfections. The shop manager after sensing my unhappiness kindly explained that "He should have told me, before the work was performed that it would never look factory original."

What do you all think. Should I expect factory original workmanship? Or can that only be expected from the craftsman back in Ohio?

Thanks for listening.
tmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi t'

posts photos.

at least the AFTERs but before repair pics would be good too.

you did document this mashup and fix visually right?

replacing 1 curved segment of end cap is NOT complicated and should look almost original...

the rivets may look a tiny bit different (olympic style) on close inspection,

but the actual end cap segment IS an oem piece.

did they REPLACE or OVERLAY the new curved segment?

with wrap/pano windows at the front this adds to the puzzle but still should look good.

IF your insurance is paying for the repair AND you weren't satisfied, don't accept the work as is...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ditto on contacting your insurance company. Especially if this is one of their "approved" shops, they will make it right with the shop or send you elsewhere.

Maggie
Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
Hello all,

I was hoping to get an opinion from those that might have some experience with the following. We had a bad storm come through our area that caused a tree branch to fall onto the front top right "quarter panel" of our 23ft 2009 Airstream. The damage was limited to just the center area of that corner panel and did not cross over to other aluminum sheets. So basically the repair entailed just replacing the rounded corner sheet. I picked the trailer up the other day from an "authorized dealer" and was not exactly happy with the work performed. I was expecting the trailer to look like what I would expect my car to look like after getting it back from a body shop. I expected the repair to look as if the trailer just stepped off the factor line. Perfect. Well it did not. It wasn't an awful job. But there were noticeable imperfections. The shop manager after sensing my unhappiness kindly explained that "He should have told me, before the work was performed that it would never look factory original."

What do you all think. Should I expect factory original workmanship? Or can that only be expected from the craftsman back in Ohio?

Thanks for listening.
In field replacement of sheet metal on an Airstream, is not difficult, but it is some what of an art.

The only difference in appearance should be the appearance of the rivet heads, and only if you examine them from about a foot away. Carefully shaved Olympic rivet heads will very closely match the original buck rivets.

You may have a problem with the insurance company, if "you" selected the dealer.

How about posting a couple of closeup photos especially showing the seams?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You have to post a picture.

Replacing next to older panels will never match in color. That is just a fact of life, but unless your trailer was exposed to extreme elements over the last year color should not be a problem.

Finished metal has a grain to it and that can be a problem when 2 panels have different grains. The same problem you see when you place to pieces of valor next to each other and turn one 180 degrees. This problem will happen when the panel is made and no attention was paid to the grain of the panel before it is placed in the press.

As for alignment and rivet placement that is a funtion of the skill of the installer. The rivet alignment along the seam where the new panel goes under the old should be good as there they use the old holes as a template. Where the new panel is on the outside would require a good eye or some measurement and layout.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
You have to post a picture.

Replacing next to older panels will never match in color. That is just a fact of life, but unless your trailer was exposed to extreme elements over the last year color should not be a problem.

Where the new panel is on the outside would require a good eye or some measurement and layout.
Howie.

I would think a new panel on a 2009 trailer would match exactly, especially since the new type clearcoat no longer takes on an opaque coloring, or appearance.

Also, the lower seam of all segments, has the holes already punched out, eliminating the need to do any measuring of any kind. Sole exception is the quarter panels, but their lower seam is hidden by the rub rails anyway.

Andy
Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
tmarquis,

Your expectation is right on. It should have looked as if it came off the factory floor. There should be little to no noticeable difference in the alum skin or repair work vs factory build as this was an authorized service center using OEM parts which are readily available.

I have seen pictures of repair work completed by the factory service center that was far, far, far worse than you describe. The before and after pics were stunning and as hard as I could try, I could not find any discernible difference in appearance from the factory repair work, to what it would have looked like after initial production.

I would first try to work with the dealer and that didn't pan out, then talk to Airstream in conjunction with your insurance company. Given what I've seen done, your expectation is a valid one....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina
You seem to be an expert on repair, thus my question. We and our new 2009 had a slight run-in with a post (yikes!) and now have scratches and a slash of green paint to show for it. Any suggestions about first aid for our mishap? We'll take it to the dealer for repair but thought maybe there is something we try ourselves first without damaging the clearcoat. Thanks in advance if you have advice.
donna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna01 View Post
You seem to be an expert on repair, thus my question. We and our new 2009 had a slight run-in with a post (yikes!) and now have scratches and a slash of green paint to show for it. Any suggestions about first aid for our mishap? We'll take it to the dealer for repair but thought maybe there is something we try ourselves first without damaging the clearcoat. Thanks in advance if you have advice.
Please post some photo's along with a gtood closeup.

Andy
Old 04-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
I can only respond as a rookie with all of this Airstream stuff.

However, this is from an unfortunate experience. I would love to be able to say that a tree fell on my trailer, but it was the other way around. <hangs head in shame> I bought the trailer on April fools day (26 days ago) and the "in-artful parking" took place on Easter day, one hour before I made it home from the dealer. I call it the Easter Massacre. ;>)

The right rear bottom corner panel was bent and creased. It had to be replaced.

I took it the 8 hour drive to my dealer (Sutton RV) in Eugene, Oregon.

It took the "artist" a full 8 hours to replace the skin. He worked the entire time, as I watched him from a chair about 10' away. These folks treated me like a King. It was quite a process and taken with great care and personal pride in craftsmanship. He wasn't going to accept ANYTHING less than perfect.

The finished job was flawless and it matched the existing panels in every way. They use different rivets than stock, but unless you know to look and unless you are very close, the untrained eye would never notice the difference.

I didn't use my insurance... they would have covered it, but it was my fault, so I took the hit. I thought that $2200 to replace one skin was a rip off, until I saw what all the guy had to do, do it with perfection..... and the outstanding results.

Good luck.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113244 View Post
I can only respond as a rookie with all of this Airstream stuff.

However, this is from an unfortunate experience. I would love to be able to say that a tree fell on my trailer, but it was the other way around. <hangs head in shame>

The right rear bottom corner panel was bent and creased. It had to be replaced.

I took it the 8 hour drive to my dealer (Sutton RV) in Eugene, Oregon.

It took the "artist" a full 8 hours to replace the skin. He worked the entire time, as I watched him. It was quite a process and taken with great care and personal pride in craftsmanship. He wasn't going to accept ANYTHING less than perfect.

The finished job was flawless and it matched the existing panels in every way. They use different rivets than stock, but unless you know to look and unless you are very close, the untrained eye would never notice the difference.

I didn't use my insurance... they would have covered it, but it was my fault, so I took the hit. I thought that $2200 was a rip off, until I saw what all the guy had to do, do it with perfection..... and the outstanding results.
Quarter panels cost about $1200.00 to replace, and does take 8 hours, with all the moldings and trim.

Anyd
Old 04-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
After lurking here for years I decided in a circumstance like this I think I would bite the bullet and head to Ohio. That said, if you took it to an Airstream dealer (in Fredericksburg?) and they took the job on, I would expect it to look like new other than perhaps a slight variance in the alum sheen due to aging. Like everyone else says.....please post some photos! Sorry you have to deal with this problem.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Ouch... so I might have gotten ripped off. Hmmm.

I must be an easy mark. One thing is for sure... they did an outstanding job.
Gator113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna01 View Post
Since you are somewhat close, I would forgo a dealer and go right to Jackson Center. Folks who have gone to the factory for these kinds of repairs are not disappointed. I mean seriously, if the factory can't fix it as if it were new, who can. There are many great dealers out there, but even of the great dealers out there that sell them, there are only a handful I would even consider tearing into my Airstream. Lucky for me, the factory is as far as the closest good dealer so to me it's a no brainer.

Go to the factory...you won't be disappointed.

If you went elsewhere I have heard great repair stories from these dealers:

Ace Fogdall- Iowa
Airstream of Arkansas- Arkansas
Inland RV- Corona CA
Sutton RV- Washington
Some dealer down in Texas, but I heard their main guy left or retired

These are the only places I'd consider IMHO from what I know if I didn't go to the factory. That is not to say there aren't other good servicing dealers, these are the only ones I have some info about having been streamin' for about 7 or 8 years now.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Join the club of unhappy dealer body panel service. Our right upper rear top panel was 70% close to a factory install but the "we fix all makes of trailers" dealer did not do a very good job. A lazy job with dents made in other panels. Just sucked. To make up for it the dealer gave me a new panel with all the rivets, vulkem, tape and everything I would need to redo the entire job myself, except removing the new dents. I guess that says how poorly the job was. Even the best may make mistakes. Just little mistakes that can be fixed easly, after all some of the AS authorized service centers are really busy. Anyway good luck and learn to replace your own panels. Take your time and don't rush it.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am going to be traveling this week (not in our AS) and will get a picture posted in a few days. The advice to go to Jackson Center is a great idea!
donna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
Hello all,

Thanks for listening.
What dealership the shody work for you?
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Just had 6 (3 in the front and 3 in the back) end cap panels replaced. It looks just like new. We took ours to P&S and are very satisfied.
nswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #19
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Quarter panels cost about $1200.00 to replace, and does take 8 hours, with all the moldings and trim.

Anyd
Andy do you mean $1200 for the panel + 8 hours labor? In that case $2200 for the panel, other parts and materials, labor, and tax would be very reasonable.

If the $1200 includes parts and labor then $2200 is a ripoff.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Satisfied

I had a rear upper left-side panel replaced and it is virtually impossible to tell it had been done. I have challenged folks on occasion to tell me which panel it was.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bodywork, repair