Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middleport , Ohio
From the pics it looks like a blind, drunk, angry baboon used a lead hammer and custom formed your repair section then had a three toed sloth align the rivets for the elephant to set with his back foot. I sure hope this gets corrected for you.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucep View Post
From the pics it looks like a blind, drunk, angry baboon used a lead hammer and custom formed your repair section then had a three toed sloth align the rivets for the elephant to set with his back foot. I sure hope this gets corrected for you.
Hi, with such a detailed discription of how this trailer was repaired, you must have been an eye witness.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Portsmouth , Virginia
Was the dealer in Fredericksburg? I took my 75 Argosy that had a big dent in the front from a tree limb that fell during a bad storm in Oct. 09 to the Airstream dealer in Fredericksburg. I went through the proper Insurance channels etc. and felt good about gettting it fixed and maybe even a paint job as my insurance co. was willing to spend about 4k. The dealer in Fredericksburg came back with an estimate for $11,700!!!! yes you read it right. almost 12g's I politely said wow, you are not going to get that job and the service writer actualy acted surprised. So I picked up my poor dented argy (see my pics) and pretty much had come to grips with living with the dent. ( I did not want to drill holes and pull the dent out because I thought the Argosy, like Airstream was aluminum all over. Well its not, once I found this out I quickly got ahold of a good body man, he used the weld-on studs to pull the dent out (no holes drilled-no leaks!) got it almost perfectly back to shape and smoothed it out with marine type adhesive body filler & painted the end cap. I'm so happy and very satisfied with the repair! (cost: we traded some work, I fixed his car, he fixed my camper!!) My point is I have to wonder about this dealerships integrity. I mean if they priced way out there to just not get the job why not just tell me. My family has been in the Rv business since the 70's. I went to them because we don't do airstreams, never have. (Even though I secretly always thought they were AWESOME, my Dad would say they were just to expensive.) Now I have my Argosy and I see firsthand what outstanding quality goes into these babies! I doubt there are very many 1975 campers of any brand still in use except for the products built by Airstream. Beware of these guys (if we are talking about the same dealer) and I hope they get everything taken care of for you. There is no excuse for poor workmanship at any price.
Good luck! PD
Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
No, I moved out west from Virginia to Colorado. I'm going to hold off naming the dealer since he is making an effort to make the situation right. I'll be dropping the trailer off next week. Cross you fingers. Hopefully everything will look as good as new.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
UPDATE!
I would like to say that I have picked up my AS from the dealer and it looks great! Yes it took a long time. (Some parts were shipped to the wrong address.) But throughout the whole ordeal the dealer and employees were always professional and did the right thing. Thanks to Kirk at Windish RV in Lakewood CO
Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
No, I moved out west from Virginia to Colorado. I'm going to hold off naming the dealer since he is making an effort to make the situation right. I'll be dropping the trailer off next week. Cross you fingers. Hopefully everything will look as good as new.
If things go sideways, please keep your fellow Coloradans posted.... I can guess but would love to know if they don't do right by you.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Here's a thread on a good experience with a Colorado AS dealer and insurance company that was on the ball:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f351...ory-29275.html
Old 10-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
I believe Sutton RV is in Eugene OR. There is a new dealer in the Portland OR area that we used recently and had very good results.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:26 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
UPDATE!
I would like to say that I have picked up my AS from the dealer and it looks great!
I'm glad to hear you got it done right. Our experiences with that dealer were not good, but after a long period of difficult communication, we got our claim satisfied.

I hope you get to do some camping with it now, though I believe the Front Range has had some snow.

Gene
Old 11-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Cary , NC
Fredrickburg?

My Airstream is currently waiting for repair at the Thornburg, VA dealer. Is that where you had your work done? Can you post pictures, before and after?

How long did the repair take? They are telling me 4-6 weeks.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #67
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by alreardon View Post
My Airstream is currently waiting for repair at the Thornburg, VA dealer. Is that where you had your work done? Can you post pictures, before and after?

How long did the repair take? They are telling me 4-6 weeks.
Since this all happened 7 years ago, and the OP hasn't returned to the forums in nearly 4 years, a response from them may not be promptly forthcoming.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:32 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The only place I would take my Airstream for skin work would be Jackson Center.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Orillia , Ontario
Dealers name

I would post dealers name re regardless so no one else ends up with bad workmanship. If they are in the repair business they should no how it is done or go back for more training.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
The only place I would take my Airstream for skin work would be Jackson Center.

Ditto. Just did for some damage my storage yard neighbor did to my 2012 Flying Cloud. Couldn't imagine taking it anywhere else. It's >700 miles for us which meant a 6 hour drive to a Campground for an overnight for another 6 hour drive to get to the factory. And of course the reverse for the ride home. Just couldn't see doing it any other way.

Other stuff? There's an RV dealer in walking distance from the storage yard - they've done plenty of the non-specific stuff like all the commodity products used inside - but body or frame work? I would only go to the factory.

Good luck!

Tags
bodywork, repair