Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Join the club of unhappy dealer body panel service. Our right upper rear top panel was 70% close to a factory install but the "we fix all makes of trailers" dealer did not do a very good job. A lazy job with dents made in other panels. Just sucked. To make up for it the dealer gave me a new panel with all the rivets, vulkem, tape and everything I would need to redo the entire job myself, except removing the new dents. I guess that says how poorly the job was. Even the best may make mistakes. Just little mistakes that can be fixed easly, after all some of the AS authorized service centers are really busy. Anyway good luck and learn to replace your own panels. Take your time and don't rush it.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I am going to be traveling this week (not in our AS) and will get a picture posted in a few days. The advice to go to Jackson Center is a great idea!

Old 04-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarquis View Post
Hello all,

I was hoping to get an opinion from those that might have some experience with the following. We had a bad storm come through our area that caused a tree branch to fall onto the front top right "quarter panel" of our 23ft 2009 Airstream. The damage was limited to just the center area of that corner panel and did not cross over to other aluminum sheets. So basically the repair entailed just replacing the rounded corner sheet. I picked the trailer up the other day from an "authorized dealer" and was not exactly happy with the work performed. I was expecting the trailer to look like what I would expect my car to look like after getting it back from a body shop. I expected the repair to look as if the trailer just stepped off the factor line. Perfect. Well it did not. It wasn't an awful job. But there were noticeable imperfections. The shop manager after sensing my unhappiness kindly explained that "He should have told me, before the work was performed that it would never look factory original."

What do you all think. Should I expect factory original workmanship? Or can that only be expected from the craftsman back in Ohio?

Thanks for listening.
What dealership the shody work for you?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic S/O
Phoenix , Arizona
Just had 6 (3 in the front and 3 in the back) end cap panels replaced. It looks just like new. We took ours to P&S and are very satisfied.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Quarter panels cost about $1200.00 to replace, and does take 8 hours, with all the moldings and trim.

Anyd
Andy do you mean $1200 for the panel + 8 hours labor? In that case $2200 for the panel, other parts and materials, labor, and tax would be very reasonable.

If the $1200 includes parts and labor then $2200 is a ripoff.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Satisfied

I had a rear upper left-side panel replaced and it is virtually impossible to tell it had been done. I have challenged folks on occasion to tell me which panel it was.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Andy do you mean $1200 for the panel + 8 hours labor? In that case $2200 for the panel, other parts and materials, labor, and tax would be very reasonable.

If the $1200 includes parts and labor then $2200 is a ripoff.
Ball park, segments cost about $1100.00 and quarter panels cost a little more.

The price for labor varies sometimes with the year, because of moldings, etc.

The above prices are for complete labor, sheet metal, rivets and sealers, but no sales tax.

If shipping the part in from Airstream was extra, then that must be added.

In my opinion, as the author of the only Airstream crash book, even at today's inflated prices, what you paid, should have included a free trip for your family to Disneyland, or maybe even Hawaii.

Shops that charge insurance companies excessively, only contribute to the insurance rates increasing, or sometimes even having that customer's insurance cancelled.

Insurance policies provide financial protection for the owners of an Airstream, as well as many other things. Submitting a reasonable claim, does not except in repeated cases, cause someones policy to be cancelled, or for their rates to increase.

The policy wording usually says the insured is covered for their "negligence". In simpler terms, that means "mistakes".

Mistakes, we all make, sometimes small, and sometimes big. But, we all make them.

If you have a policy covering damages to your Airstream, for heavens sakes, use it.

Andy

Andy

However, many dealers receive their parts in a new coach, therefore freight cost is zero.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
All Airstream body work, should be inspected, prior to acceptance.

If within reason, the repair job is not up to reasonable standards, then you, as the insured, or customer, have the right to refuse the work. You can make that refusal on a repair order, or send a special letter, stating your objections to the quality of repair.

The next thing to do, is document and document, and inform Airstream including photo's.

Airstream cannot and does not control what a dealer may or may not do, but Airstream certainly can withdraw their agreement with any dealer, any time.

Airstream, in spite of some glitches here and there, still want the new coach owners, to be happy, before, during and especially after the sale.

Andy
Old 04-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would like to see some photos of said inferior work.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
All Airstream body work, should be inspected, prior to acceptance.

If within reason, the repair job is not up to reasonable standards, then you, as the insured, or customer, have the right to refuse the work. You can make that refusal on a repair order, or send a special letter, stating your objections to the quality of repair.

The next thing to do, is document and document, and inform Airstream including photo's.

Airstream cannot and does not control what a dealer may or may not do, but Airstream certainly can withdraw their agreement with any dealer, any time.

Airstream, in spite of some glitches here and there, still want the new coach owners, to be happy, before, during and especially after the sale.

Andy
one problem is that the shop will not release the vehicle without payment. then they will add daily storage charges until the matter is settled. how do you add a refusal to the repair order after the work is done?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
one problem is that the shop will not release the vehicle without payment. then they will add daily storage charges until the matter is settled. how do you add a refusal to the repair order after the work is done?
You can sign the repair order, as requested.

However, you are free to whatever you wish, on that repair order.

You can say "poor workmanship", "workmanship has caused loss of value", "inferior quality", etc.

Then, if the dealer refuses to reasonably cooperate, you can always go to small claims court, especially if the charges were excessive and the workmanship is not up to reasonable standards.

Getting an estimate from another dealer always helps, along with before and after photo's.

Having good credentials for many years with the Airstream program, is a huge plus.

I just made GMAC insurance, back off and pay a claim, without any changes. But, it took over 2 weeks to get it done.

GMAC claimed that they could go "on line" and determine the value of an Airstream. I told them, and convinced them that since most Airstream owners continuously upgrade their coaches, and have bills to prove it, that the only way they could determine a coaches value, is by having it personally inspected, by someone with Airstream credentials.

They finally agreed, that they were indeed "WRONG", and paid the claim in full, minus the deductible.

Final Score:

Consumer 1
Insurance Co. 0

Pays to know your business.

Andy
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Do trailer repair facilities in California fall under the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)?

How about motorhome repair facilities?

Is there such a bureau in Virginia?
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the laws amy be different in CA. i've worked in the auto repair industry for a number of years, a few lives ago. as a worker and as a customer, i've never seen a repair order given to a customer to sign off on. the only exception might have been for an insurance claim. in that case i believe it was a separate form and more of a release for the check.

maybe it should be required.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Do trailer repair facilities in California fall under the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR)?

How about motorhome repair facilities?

Is there such a bureau in Virginia?
If the shop has a state automotive license, which they must do if they sell trailers, then they are under state BAR rules.

But, if they do not sell trailers or motorhomes, or work on drive lines or engines, then they do not come under the state BAR rules.

If the shop is not required to have the license, the state can visit that shop, but they cannot tell them what to do, or how to do it.

Andy

Tags
bodywork, repair