Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
Disappointed by Jackson Center again...

I previously started a thread about JC not winterizing my trailer correctly.

In all fairness to them, they were great taking care of that issue.

The reason that I had the trailer to JC in the first place was to repair some sheet metal damage to the trailer at the lower corners of the front storage compartment above the A-frame.

Somehow, that didn't quite pan out like expected either. The repair required the storage compartment door be replaced. It was replaced. This past week when we finally drove in the rain, so much water got into the storage compartment that it looked like someone took a garden hose with a sprayer on it and hosed it down. After looking at the door more closely, the hinge was not attached to the door correctly, resulting in the bottom of the door being held away from the seal somewhat.

I know JC will take care of this too. They already told me this. All I have to do is drive the 4.5 hours one way to get the trailer to them and wait for them to fix it.

Short term, I took this product:

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-w...475403&ipos=35

I ran it completely around the perimeter of the door so that it will contact the weather seal that is already in place. I had to adjust the latches at the top of the door to get it to close properly. I guess I will see if it works short term until I can get the trailer back to JC.

Anybody have any other suggestions about fixing this temporarily?

I can post a pic of my fix tomorrow.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7091.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	307342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7097.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	307344  

Name:	IMG_7102.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	307345  
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #2
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We had our forward storage door (27FB) serviced repeatedly and even replaced with a door that uses two latches. Still leaked. We finally did pretty much the same thing, using EDPM rubber weather stripping from Lowe's to get a better seal all the way around. We used two different thicknesses to get optimal seals everywhere, as the space around the door varies from top to bottom. So far, that extra work has stopped nearly all the leaking. It's probably time for us to replace those seals to ensure a continued tight fit, but it's the only thing I've found that actually works.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' International
Renton , Washington
Hmmmm, this is the exact problem we have with our 2009 27FB. I haven’t been able to diagnose exactly how the water comes in past the seal. I’ll have a look at the hinge.
Wconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 03:51 AM   #4
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Wow... something to keep an eye out for. If Rocinante can do it then we all surely can try as well
Cheers

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
We had our forward storage door (27FB) serviced repeatedly and even replaced with a door that uses two latches. Still leaked. We finally did pretty much the same thing, using EDPM rubber weather stripping from Lowe's to get a better seal all the way around. We used two different thicknesses to get optimal seals everywhere, as the space around the door varies from top to bottom. So far, that extra work has stopped nearly all the leaking. It's probably time for us to replace those seals to ensure a continued tight fit, but it's the only thing I've found that actually works.
Did the same on the rear of my classic. Works well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
Wow... something to keep an eye out for. If Rocinante can do it then we all surely can try as well
Cheers

You got that right, haha. If we can do it, anybody can!

Old 03-28-2018, 08:58 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Here are pics of the hinge, and my "fix", with the profile of the weather stripping I used.

You can see in the door pic with the red circle how the hinge is not positioned correctly on the edge of the door. Holding the bottom of the door out. It was that way across the entire bottom of the door. You can also see the area immediately adjacent to the hinge where there was "blow by".

My fix was the weather stripping with the wider foot print, a littie more solid feel to it. My thought being it would seal better against the existing. I did need to adjust the latches. Time will tell.

Next time I drive in the rain... crossing my fingers.

Hope this helps others to deal with this problem.

Thanks,

Blair
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7091[1].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	307366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7122.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	307367  

Name:	IMG_7123.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	307368  
Old 03-28-2018, 10:23 AM   #8

Looks awesome! We used white EDPM and put it around the edge of the door, but backing it up with black EDPM the way you did would be a great enhancement. Off to Lowe's I go, for more EDPM before we tow extensively in the rain next Tuesday!

Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
All I have to add is similar disappointment with JC service.

I drove 8 Hours one way to drop off my 27fb for several warranty repairs because of all the great success I have read about on the forums. They would need it for a week or two in order to fix the issues I had so I dropped it and headed back home. Two weeks later I made the trek again to pick it up and then all the way back home. When I arrived home, after the first rain storm, water still poured from my AC intake vents like a waterfall.

Oh yes, bring it back for us to try again... I think not.

I can confirm all other repairs were made to my satisfaction, however this was the biggest issue and left me very disappointed.
TylerWilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxGuy View Post
Here are pics of the hinge, and my "fix", with the profile of the weather stripping I used.

You can see in the door pic with the red circle how the hinge is not positioned correctly on the edge of the door. Holding the bottom of the door out. It was that way across the entire bottom of the door. You can also see the area immediately adjacent to the hinge where there was "blow by".

My fix was the weather stripping with the wider foot print, a littie more solid feel to it. My thought being it would seal better against the existing. I did need to adjust the latches. Time will tell.

Next time I drive in the rain... crossing my fingers.

Hope this helps others to deal with this problem.

Thanks,

Blair
Blair,

I would look for a drier place for the torque wench.

Bob
Old 03-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
I feel so fortunate to not have had any issues that required a trip to JC (about 1,200 miles), and equally fortunate that I have an RV repair shop within 30 miles that I trust (if I can't fix it myself).

Hello? Airstream Ambassador? If you are monitoring this, I might suggest that someone simply telling a patron to "bring it back" isn't creating any goodwill. They've already taken time to take it, leave it, and return to pick it up, all at their own time and $$ expense. Someone didn't do their job correctly, and in this case, QC didn't adequately check for leaks post "repairs". If it has to be brought back because of faulty repairs, AS should at least reimburse the customer mileage at the current IRS rate. Just sayin'.......
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Wow, I just returned from a 1,072 mile (each way) from Jackson Center and I am absolutely delighted with the work that was done on my 2017 Classic. I had 2 major issues and 18 very minor problems that needed to be addressed. All 20 issues were fixed or repaired completely and everything worked great for the 1,072 mile trip back home and is still working perfectly today.
I was able to watch as they worked on my wounded end cap and panels, watched as they installed 2 Maxim skylights for me, watched while they repaired a pierced elbow joint that was a result of a design flaw, was there on site while they worked through and implement design changes to all new Classic twin, watched while they installed a new multistage converter for me and showed me how I could do it myself if I needed to next time, I hung around all week and was encouraged to ask questions and they were extremely helpful with their knowledge, skill, hard work and customer care. They asked me each morning if I was happy with the work that was completed the day before. I plan to make the trip back to JC once a year if needed.
I am still relatively new to the while RV world and still have much to learn but I am not afraid to get in there and get my hands dirty to repair or replace minor little things as they pop up and I know they will pop up.
Should I ever need serious repairs or advice it is nice to know that the hard working, dedicated employees that I met in Jackson Center, while I was there for 6 days, will be there for me in the future.
Would I have driven 50 miles out of my way for a broken seal? Probably not, but if it’s something I can’t fix I know where to go.
Sorry your experience was different from mine.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
I feel so fortunate to not have had any issues that required a trip to JC (about 1,200 miles), and equally fortunate that I have an RV repair shop within 30 miles that I trust (if I can't fix it myself).

Hello? Airstream Ambassador? If you are monitoring this, I might suggest that someone simply telling a patron to "bring it back" isn't creating any goodwill. They've already taken time to take it, leave it, and return to pick it up, all at their own time and $$ expense. Someone didn't do their job correctly, and in this case, QC didn't adequately check for leaks post "repairs". If it has to be brought back because of faulty repairs, AS should at least reimburse the customer mileage at the current IRS rate. Just sayin'.......
In all fairness to Airstream, they did offer to send out RV roadside assistance if that's what I wanted. But I really don't think that would have resulted in an acceptable outcome for me. Just me probably being picky. I did decline their offer, my choice. My fault for not being clear on that part. Sorry.

But in my case it was 2 of the 3 things I asked them to do didn't work out right. That's my frustration.

Thanks again

Blair
Old 03-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Wouldn’t it be super if Airstream had a working quality control team!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Double D weather strip.

Hi, this is a fix for leaky storage doors that I did several years ago and it has never failed. I bought what I call double D weather seal and install it all the way around the outer rim of the door. In the pictures, I originally only did one side but later did the other one. On our trailer we didn't have a water leak situation, but rather cold air leaking under our bed. These seals made a huge difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1465.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	307485   Click image for larger version

Name:	1467.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	307486  

Name:	1469.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	307487  
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #16

Yup, we did a modified version of this fix. Has worked well for us so far. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2018, 06:50 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Deforest , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this is a fix for leaky storage doors that I did several years ago and it has never failed. I bought what I call double D weather seal and install it all the way around the outer rim of the door. In the pictures, I originally only did one side but later did the other one. On our trailer we didn't have a water leak situation, but rather cold air leaking under our bed. These seals made a huge difference.
Thanks for posting the pics of how you fixed your storage doors. The gap on my door was rather large so I wanted to try mounting a wider seal (slightly stiffer) seal where I did to bridge the gap. Drove 3 hours in the rain on Friday, so far so good. No leaks!! I am going to add the extra protection like you and Rocinante have put on your doors.

And Bob....the torque wrench is in a much better place.

Thanks again,

Blair
Old 04-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #18
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thanks for sharing all, can see this being good to see info for most folks.

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote