Old 05-06-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Portland , Maine
Dinette Table rattle

Greetings ~ We have a newly purchased 2011 28' International and the dinette table is driving me crazy. From what I can tell, the design, which allows the table to be lowered to the height of the bench seats, is designed for ease and convenience of this conversion. But as a result the wall-mounted brace and the table-mounted lip that slips into it are not secure and rattle and shift every time someone puts an elbow on the table. Surly, I'm not the first to find this annoying. Does anyone have a suggested fix? We just took to full-timing it and this is going to have to be addressed!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Doug

Old 05-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Austin , Texas
I have the same issue. I read elsewhere on these forums that a solution is to remove the metal mounting clips from the wall and tap them with a hammer to flatten them a little. Once you reinstall the wall clips the table should rattle less.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:41 AM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Is that the same bracket that I have on the dinette in our 1987 Avion? Basically a couple of slotted brackets on the wall and corresponding tabs on the wall-end of the table that slip into those slots?

If so, I recently fixed the annoying "squeak, squeak, squeak" that ours did with the slightest movement of the table.

I formed (bent) the tabs on the table to have less gap between the tab and the table edge, creating a more snug fit in the wall brackets.

Nice and quiet now.

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
If you are talking about movement, you can either bend the clips slightly, or drill a small hole in the edge of the bracket where it will hold the round mount against the bracket. Put a screw in the hole, and tighten it until it keeps the mount from moving up and down.
If you are talking about a rattle, or noise, you can remove the round mount, and slide a piece of tubing over it, and place the tubing where it will go into the wall mount. That will stop any metal-on-metal rattle or noise.
Old 05-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
It seems that my metal clips bend a bit over time, which causes them to be a bit more free-flowing when inside the brackets. I bend them back and then they fit tighter, eliminating wobble and rattling noise.

I am seriously contemplating swapping to a center post-mounted table, if that's feasible. I don't really like the flimsy swing-up leg.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBOskiBear View Post
It seems that my metal clips bend a bit over time, which causes them to be a bit more free-flowing when inside the brackets. I bend them back and then they fit tighter, eliminating wobble and rattling noise.

I am seriously contemplating swapping to a center post-mounted table, if that's feasible. I don't really like the flimsy swing-up leg.
You could probably use something like the single-pedestal table in the Sport 22. Get the collapsible pedestal, and install it on the bottom of your current table, and screw it to the floor.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:28 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Portland , Maine
Thank you friends for your solutions. I put a adhesive-backed rubber strip on the table edge against the wall. That helped somewhat. I considered gently closing the metal clips but held off pending the response here. Looks like that is the next step. Your assistance is much appreciated.
Doug