Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Did you have quality issues requiring warranty repair?
Yes 11 73.33%
No 4 26.67%
Model year 5 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Did you have quality issues for warranty repair?

I have been on the Forum for over a year after purchasing our lightly used 2012 International Serenity 25FB. I had warranty remaining and did not need to use it. I am confident the PO did use the warranty either. I am pleased that our Airstream was built as intended, but I see quite a number of references to quality issues out of the factory.
For grins I would to get an idea whether that has been an issue for many forum members or whether it is a vocal minority.
Indicate your model year and feel free to expand on the problems you had.
Whoops, my model year idea did not work.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We had no quality problems with our new 25' FC when delivered, very nicely assembled.

Over the three years since I have found four minor water leaks with a moisture detection meter, none of which were present when new (I tested it). We took it to Jackson Center for a recliner conversion and had a Seal Tech leak test done where they confirmed and repaired the minor leaks under warranty. I have since found another minor leak and fixed it.

Our 2007 Safari SE had spots of corrosion on it when new (two year old dealer stock), we were able to stop and prevent further corrosion using CorrosionX and Boeshield T9. Using these corrosion preventive products, we have no corrosion on our 2012 FC in three years since new.

So the warranty sealed four leaks on the 2012, a new converter/charger on the 2007. Other problems will develop and some may be partly caused by two very stiff w.d. hitches we had and a conversion to 16" LT tires run at 80 psi.

We now use a more flexible hitch and lower tire pressure. Leaks and corrosion will happen and equipment will break, so I use a quarterly inspection, systems check, and corrosion treatment schedule, repairing any problems to keep our Airstream in good condition.

My lesson, inspect the Airstream throughly before you buy it and maintain it from the start. The warranty protects equipment that should last two years anyway, after that it's yours to take care of.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Bought mine used, out of warranty, but pretty much unused. So I had many quality issues which AS did not address----but I did.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Chicagoland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Bought mine used, out of warranty, but pretty much unused. So I had many quality issues which AS did not address----but I did.
I also bought mine used and out of warranty. Mine also appeared to be pretty much unused. I've had numerous issues. I've addressed many of them already, but still have a list of things to accomplish.

By the way I didn't vote as I didn't think I fit into any of the categories provided.
Airrogant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Many problems seem to be caused by "lot rot", in that an Airstream sits for an extended period not used. So, in order to keep from having problems, you should use your Airstream regularly. "Use it or lose it".
Old 09-20-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Had it about a year (new 2014 model.) The only problem we've had is a shower drain leak when the shower tub is filled (using the stopper.) We will be taking to JC in November to address. I'm sure it will turn out to be a loose fitting on the drain assembly but it's hard to reach!!

After reading the forum before we took delivery, I was frankly prepared for an unmitigated disaster. I am pleased with the general build quality of our unit.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Furnace sail switch got stuck somehow - easy fix by me after figuring it out anyway

Drawer catches for large drawers at crap - I replaced them myself (although on retrospect I may have just used a bungee cord type travel solution as the new hinges while working well are kinda annoying to open and close)

Some trash they left over (aluminum scaps) got into the furnace intake and it broke the fur case blower fan - Atwood is mailing my replacement as we speak

Some of the screws that hold hinge hardware on for overhead storage were over tightened and are loose - found this out after one hinge came loose and off ripping out - I fixed it to where it still works - checked other screws - some were tight - and some just kept turning (stripped) - a number will require some glue

We had a leak it looks like from the front storage compartment (I presume) - I got the edges of the flooring up and the plywood on edges remains dry now for a few months even with heavy rain - leak must have been when driving in certain rain conditions - it will need the wardrobe and bed take up and let the wood dry up and leak tested which I spoke to my dealer and AS and we will have this done next year

My son broke one of those swiveling led lights - the one in the bunkhouse - terrible fixture choice for a kids room

Overall we have been pleased and immensely enjoyed camping with our unit and despite these few problems - overall it looks like they out it together nicely - the front hatch design is just a bad design IMO

No corrosion so far - one leak found and seems to be under control from an easy fix source

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airrogant View Post
I also bought mine used and out of warranty. Mine also appeared to be pretty much unused. I've had numerous issues. I've addressed many of them already, but still have a list of things to accomplish.

By the way I didn't vote as I didn't think I fit into any of the categories provided.
I did not vote either since OOW.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Other problems will develop and some may be partly caused by two very stiff w.d. hitches we had and a conversion to 16" LT tires run at 80 psi.
So, Doug, what PSI did you settle into on the 16"
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
So, Doug, what PSI did you settle into on the 16"
Next long trip (next month) it will be 75 psi, and I'll watch the tire temps and handling. If okay we'll try 70 and see how that goes, I'd like to see 65 psi.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Did you have quality issues for warranty repair?

The votey thing doesn't show up on my iPad.

Yes, we had quality-related warranty issues that required repair. We're on a first name basis with our dealer's service department.

Stuff I can think of at the moment, all fixed under warranty:
* Pantry drawer did not latch properly
* Sliding door for the cabinet above the galley kept sliding open while towing
* Friction pads in the bathroom cabinets all peeled up and then those sliding doors didn't work right.
* Front storage door leaked like crazy while towing in the rain
* Light over the entry door had a loose ground wire and thus flickered so badly it was unusable
* One or two lights in the ceiling had problems. One didn't work, and the other was loose (e.g. coming out).
* Entry door had a huge air gap between the door and the frame at the bottom when closed / latched.
* Screen door was poorly adjusted for the frame, had air gaps at top and bottom.
* Fantastic fan frame in bedroom was not properly attached to the ceiling in one corner.
* Under-sink water filter was cracked and had to be replaced.
* Battery capacities had been damaged by sitting too long on the lot at low charge before we bought the trailer. They gave us new ones.
* External Cable TV port leaked water every time it rained. That one was odd. The symptom was that if you opened that port after a rainstorm, a bit of water would spill out of the port. They've replaced it with a new one and verified the water wasn't draining there from another leak. It probably just wasn't properly sealed to the trailer.
* The screw for one stabilizer jack was bent and wobbly when raising or lowering that jack. The jack worked, but it was wicked annoying.

There may be a few other things, but that's the bulk of them.

Off-topic but maybe interesting: little things we've done to customize the trailer since we bought it:
* Added a dealer-installed 150 Watt Zamp solar panel package (It works fine, but in retrospect I would have chosen a smarter solar charging system if I'd known they existed)
* Added a temperature sensor to the Zamp solar charger so it does temp-compensated charging
* Swapped out the Parallax 7355 charger for the Progressive Dynamics 4655 smart charger
* Added Fantastic Fan vent covers to we can leave the fans open any time, regardless of rain
* Added bug screens to the vent covers to keep critters out of the vent covers
* Added a Voyager camera
* Added Truck Systems Technology TPMS sensors and a repeater
* Added switches that make it easy to turn off the camera and repeater when we don't need them (important for boondocking in the shade)
* Added Hypervent under our mattress to help prevent condensation / mildew in cold weather: http://hyperventmarine.com/
* Added a layer of Reflectix bubble plastic to the plywood under the bed to help insulate the thermal differential between the bedroom and the front storage compartment
* Added a memory foam topper to the stock AS mattress
(So, the bed sandwich is: plywood / double-sided carpet tape / Reflectix / flannel sheet / Hypervent / AS mattress / memory foam topper. The flannel sheet protects the Reflectix from the somewhat pokey hypervent. The bed is now ridiculously comfy, and hopefully we won't get condensation beneath it. We may yet add another layer of Reflectix to the bed platform, depending on the results this winter.)

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:02 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
There were a few items that required replacement and resetting. One the items was a section of the internal panels. Since this is a Sterling, the internal panels are a major design feature. What I originally thought was simply a small piece that could be changed turned out to be an entire section that was not installed correctly. Once I saw the finished repair, it was obvious that the panel was wrong from the beginning and was not caught by any quality control inspection during assembly. Fortunately for us, we had a superb experience with the warranty repair group at Colonial. Our AS looks even more fantastic and we thank them for their work and recommend them.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Thumbs down

I had a screw in (not though the water line causing the showers inside and out to stop working.

And Airstream refused to cover it! They told me I didn't transfer the warranty. ($250)
I ask what the warranty covers and was told only what Airstream builds.

It took me about 4/5 hours to figure it out and fix it. I'm a pipefitter.

Verse going 2 hours each way to the nearest and newest dealer.

I sent Dan a bill for $500 and he refused to pay it. I wrote Trailer Life and they inform me they are only intermeadetors and are only able to forward my concerns to Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	223341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	223342  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	223343   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	223344  

Old 10-01-2014, 07:52 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Overall we have been pleased and immensely enjoyed camping with our unit and despite these few problems - overall it looks like they out it together nicely - the front hatch design is just a bad design IMO
PharmGeek,

I noticed on the new 2015 models that they have two latches that hold the front hatch door whereas I think the 2014 models only had one latch.

Also I saw that Airstream upgraded the drawer latches to a heavier duty latch in the 2015 models.

So someone must of listened to you.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
So it seems - many more had warranty repairs as such I suspect

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I had a list of probably 60 warranty items. I will share the list at some point. I took it to Jackson center 3 weeks ago and they fixed everything, no questions asked, and did not charge me a penny. They worked on the trailer for 2 1/2 days. I was very impressed with there customer service. Each morning at 7 they come get the trailer from the Terraport and put it in a service bay with a John Deere tug. The first day a service writer creates service orders for every item on the list. A mechanic comes to get you to do a walk around and discuss/describe every problem. At end of day, 4 PM, the mechanic comes to get you again to go over what he did/fixed/repaired that day. Then the little green tug takes the trailer back to the Terraport. The process repeats each day until all work is done. Upon completion, the mechanic once again comes to get you to go over the entire list item by item to assure that the customer is 110% satisfied. I was very pleased with the entire process.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
What you left out was the 3 month wait to get is to Airstream service center.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I waited longer than that. I planned the trip back in January so it would correspond with another trip.
The difference in quality issues in the Airstream versus my previous sob trailer is this- none of the 60 or so little problems kept me from using the trailer. No problem ever kept me from camping. The problems I had with the Forest River Wildwood forced me to leave it at the dealership for weeks at a time without camping.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Reed Point , Montana
This thread is the reason I sold my new Airstream after six months of ownership......pathetic.
Bigskyrider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #20
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
To each his or her own, but after the effort of getting all those in-warranty repairs made, there's no way we're selling this one or buying another until we've enjoyed our trailer for a while in its temporarily "perfect" state.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote