Old 03-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Brian, welcome aboard. I'm working on the first youtube as text. Hopefully it will be up in the next couple of hours.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyCorpsman View Post
Alright, I've downloaded and did the tutorials. Standing by for more instruction. I played with this program about a year back, but never really got the hang of it.

I'm going to be customizing the interior of my '75 Sovereign and this will help out tremendously!!

NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
instruction

Something that will be needed from all participants is .jpg pictures of the front, back, and both sides of you trailer. If you don't have pictures or a way to get them, go to vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html and find picture that are similar to you trailer. Having a copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 will help you start this work. You can download a trial version of this program. The one month trial should be plenty for what we need.
Don

Old 03-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
instruction

This should be a click-able link to Vintage Trailer Archives.
http://vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html
Don
Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Are these pictures what I need to use to "build" the shell shape or is there an Airstream template into which I can put windows and design elements?

I haven't researched what's currently available on Sketchup with respect to Airstreams. I played around with it a lot a couple of years ago when thinking of designing a cabin.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I used it a while back, too...not for shell or interior stuff. (too advanced for me). But sketchup was used extensively at my former place of employment. (architecture firm--its one of their main tools!).

One thing its really handy for, is for planning tank arrangements in the frame area. I had a facimile of the airstream frame made up, and I see how stock tank "objects" could be fit inside. Lots of the stock tank manufacturers give pretty detailed dimensions, and you can easily re-create them as sketchup objects, and drop them into place, see how they fit, how you might plumb them together, etc, etc.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
instruction

Yes the pictures will help in getting the correct shape of your trailer year. It also helps in the location of the windows, doors, and other openings that are in your trailer. At present there is no template. As you know the shape of an Airstream has change over the years. The approach I'm using here is so that you can start out designing your trailer. If you have pictures you should be able to adapt the instruction to your needs. The following site has trailer shapes form 1935 to 1981.
If you rig is newer you will have to search the web for pictures, unless you can take some picture yourself. Even pictures from a cell phone will work.
http://vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
Are these pictures what I need to use to "build" the shell shape or is there an Airstream template into which I can put windows and design elements?

I haven't researched what's currently available on Sketchup with respect to Airstreams. I played around with it a lot a couple of years ago when thinking of designing a cabin.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
My plan is to approach these lessons so anyone can create there trailer. Also my having this be a sharing site. It should help anyone who wants to try this.
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I used it a while back, too...not for shell or interior stuff. (too advanced for me). But sketchup was used extensively at my former place of employment. (architecture firm--its one of their main tools!).

One thing its really handy for, is for planning tank arrangements in the frame area. I had a facimile of the airstream frame made up, and I see how stock tank "objects" could be fit inside. Lots of the stock tank manufacturers give pretty detailed dimensions, and you can easily re-create them as sketchup objects, and drop them into place, see how they fit, how you might plumb them together, etc, etc.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
error

The first video loaded had no sound. I will reload.
There will two parts at this point 1a and 1b.
Sorry for the inconvenience
Don.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
instruction

Here are the first two youtube videos for instruction.
YouTube - Beginning Shell 1a.mp4
YouTube - Beginning Shell 1b.mp4
Please let me know what you think.
Thanks Don
I should have one or two more by tomorrow night.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:59 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
West Richland , Washington
I need to go to school also. I tinkered a bit with sketchup previously but I didn't get the hang of it. I watched the tutorials and noticed there were a lot more tools than I have on the freebie sketchup. Are there more tools available? I'm waiting for the bell to ring.

My 68 Overlander also needs some remodelling, so now is the time to use something like this to helpl me plan it out.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Jim and PJ, welcome to the Airstream Design Thread. If you go to the View tab and click on it and Toolbars you should get a window that has more tools. Let me know what you find.
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMandPJ View Post
I need to go to school also. I tinkered a bit with sketchup previously but I didn't get the hang of it. I watched the tutorials and noticed there were a lot more tools than I have on the freebie sketchup. Are there more tools available? I'm waiting for the bell to ring.

My 68 Overlander also needs some remodelling, so now is the time to use something like this to helpl me plan it out.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wichita , Kansas
I`m willing to lend any help that I can. I`m rather new to Sketchup, but I`ve learned a lot in the few months that I have been playing with it.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:32 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Biloxi , Mississippi
Wahooo!! Made my first thing in SketchUp. Things seem to be coming along quite nice. Standing by for the next lesson in the series.

I wish that I could have started this a couple of months ago. I'm still a ways from even starting my interior, but can't tell you how much this is going to help!!!

'75 31ft Airstream Sovereign

Come check out my restoration progress:
http://crazycorpsman-silverbullet.blogspot.com/
CrzyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
instruction

Here is the third lesson segment in the Beginning to draw an Airstream trailer in SketchUp. This is 1c
YouTube - Beginning Shell 1c.mp4
Thanks Don

If you click in the middle of the video window once the video starts. It will take you right to youtube and a larger image.