Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

2000 30' Limited
Wilton Manors , Florida
Dented back panel

Good Afternoon.
I recently bought a 2015 Airstream 22FB Safari and on the first trip I slightly bend 2 panels on the right and above the rear window.
It is not very deep and looks as if a dent doctor could just pull it out but then when I asked those companies they said they can't do it.
my friendly dealer wants 9000 USD to get it repaired.
Is there a solution or should I just keep it as a reminder to watch when going backwards.
Looking forward to anyones advice and appreciate it already

Rainer
Rainerschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
This is a bummer but hopefully you have insurance!
I have seen the tools that they use on ebay for a reasonable amount but I would bet they are afraid of the coating. Not sue I would try it with a new trailer. I would have it repaired by a dealer that would warranty the work.
Here is a link to a backup camera system that could be installed...maybe even easier if done during the repair?
http://www.rearviewsafety.com/

I purchased a system for our motorhome and have been very happy with it. Came with everything, installed easy and works great.
PS they also have backup sensors.
Good Luck!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I just remembered that I bought one of these to use on my 1958 Airstream;
https://www.swifthitch.com/
I found the SH02 on ebay. The SH02 has a suction cup to hols the camera but I use the rear bumper and it works great. I used it to get my AS into the covered parking but wouldn't mind having the 2 camera system.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 12:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainerschi View Post
Good Afternoon.
I recently bought a 2015 Airstream 22FB Safari and on the first trip I slightly bend 2 panels on the right and above the rear window.
It is not very deep and looks as if a dent doctor could just pull it out but then when I asked those companies they said they can't do it.
my friendly dealer wants 9000 USD to get it repaired.
Is there a solution or should I just keep it as a reminder to watch when going backwards.
Looking forward to anyones advice and appreciate it already

Rainer
Depending on the size and contour of the dent, you may be able to pop it out with a vacuum dent puller. I damaged the curbside lower curved segment on my trailer. I bought a vacuum dent puller from Harbor Freight. You will need a good medium-sized compressor to operate it. For it to work, the dents need to be larger than the suction cup size (it comes with two) and have smooth edges. One of mine was more of a crease, with a line down the middle. The tool is a slide hammer attached to a threaded rod for the suction cups. The compressor creates a vacuum by flowing air over an orifice. You place the suction cup in the dent area and pull a trigger to enable the vacuum. Then you slide the weighted handle up (fast and hard). When it strikes the end of the tool it can pop out the dent.

It made a substantial improvement in my dents, but I ended up replacing the panel. I paid substantially less than $2000, so you might want to shop around. The factory was a few hundred more than the dealer I ended up using. PM me and I'll send you the dealer info, if you are interested.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
A tree fell on my Classic last winter. I tried pulling the dents out but found the aluminum to be too tough for a dent puller. The insurance company (Erie) was great about paying for the repair. Of course except for the $500 deductible. I took it to JC for the repair because they did a leak check as part of the repair. Colonial said that a leak check was an extra. The factory did a terrific job replacing three panels for $6700. The cost is mostly labor drilling out a thousand rivets and replacing them. Took a week to complete.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote