Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Dent formed in side

I woke up this morning and looked outside and there is a dent in the side of my trailer. Now we just bought this trailer a week ago and stayed in it last night in our driveway. Dent wasn't there when we went to bed. How could it be there now!

I am a bit upset. Is this normal? Last night was the first cool night we've had here in a long time. It went down to 56 degrees. this morning the sun is hitting the trailer on that side. Could this be an issue with how it was put together? I will post some pictures later, but the dent is about a foot around.

Any ideas?

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Oil canning. Aluminum changes dimensions with varying temperature. Should look normal soon as it warms up.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Normal expansion of the shell panels, the "dent" will most probably go away when the sun moves away and the shell cools tonight. The underbody panels act the same way, and sometimes may be heard as thunder just walking through the Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1967 28' Ambassador
1964 19' Globetrotter
1960 24' Tradewind
Edgewood , Kentucky
the stabilizing Jack's can cause this issue also. The longer the trailer the more susceptible it is to this issue. If the heat doesn't correct it try putting it back on its tires and see if that fixed it
Keeping the Art on the road, one project at a time
ArtisanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have a dent (previous owner) on the right rear side. It comes and goes as the seasons change. Just another of those little Airstream quirks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470588186.381202.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	268501

Here is the first one. A second one developed as I watched

Tom & Doty
Old 08-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1470588274.361858.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	268502

Second one under vent

Tom & Doty
Old 08-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Try holding an ice cube in the middle of the dent and see what it does! My guess it will suck right back to normal but reappear when sun first hits that panel. I don't know if you can stop this from happening without going through a lot of work to permanently shrink that panel a bit. Probably not worth the effort.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Best not to mess with it, may cause permanent crease. The panel metal has to expand in the sun's heat, it's the nature of things.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
It's brand new, I'd call the factory!
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Streamer View Post
It's brand new, I'd call the factory!
I agree. I do get some very mild panel deformation with sun heat but nothing like as much as that. I would not be happy with that, especially on a new trailer.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 01:52 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Stabilizers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtisanAir View Post
the stabilizing Jack's can cause this issue also. The longer the trailer the more susceptible it is to this issue. If the heat doesn't correct it try putting it back on its tires and see if that fixed it

Just in passing, and I do NOT have a full grasp of your understanding of stabilizing jacks, the stabilizing jacks are not to be used to lift the tires off the ground. I realize that's not exactly what you said, but I take "putting it back on its tires" means they were off the ground.

You may know this (some don't), but just in case, the trailer should be levelled in some fashion (and there are several ways to do this, of course), and the stabilizing pads should be extended to put maybe a 1/2 inch or so lift to the trailer at each of the pads to keep the trailer from rocking when someone is walking inside.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if wrinkles (maybe permanent ones) were to develop by using the stabilizing jacks as lifts to take the tires off the ground. There are a couple of other bad results to that practice, as well.....

Did I miss your point?

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent M View Post
Just in passing, and I do NOT have a full grasp of your understanding of stabilizing jacks, the stabilizing jacks are not to be used to lift the tires off the ground. I realize that's not exactly what you said, but I take "putting it back on its tires" means they were off the ground.

You may know this (some don't), but just in case, the trailer should be levelled in some fashion (and there are several ways to do this, of course), and the stabilizing pads should be extended to put maybe a 1/2 inch or so lift to the trailer at each of the pads to keep the trailer from rocking when someone is walking inside.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if wrinkles (maybe permanent ones) were to develop by using the stabilizing jacks as lifts to take the tires off the ground. There are a couple of other bad results to that practice, as well.....

Did I miss your point?

Kent
Houston

Nothing left the ground. I was told how to use the stabilizers and just snugged the ground to stop rocking.

As the sun grew higher in the sky, the dents dissappeared. I guess i will have to keep as eye on it. I dont really want them to be a permanent thing.

Tom & Doty
Old 08-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
Regarding Stabilizers and "dents"

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Nothing left the ground. I was told how to use the stabilizers and just snugged the ground to stop rocking.

As the sun grew higher in the sky, the dents dissappeared. I guess i will have to keep as eye on it. I dont really want them to be a permanent thing.

My comment was two fold, but mostly to confirm that no one would use the stabilizers as trailer jacks.

One less-than-serious question I do have of you is "Why keep an eye on them?" If they do it again, you have excellent reason to believe they won't be permanent, just as others above related. It's an interesting phenomenon, to be sure, and an excellent conversation starter.....

Kent
Houston
Kent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I agree with Safari and Wingeezer that is a lot of oil canning. A large unsupported area will do that with heat change. But those relative small panel areas? and the sharp small size of the canning? I would have trouble living with that. I doubt if there is anything that can be done other than maybe the metal may relax given time and not react so aggressively to temp changes. That panel is under stress, so some part of the construction process did not run as smoothly as with sister trailers.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2014 25 foot International 'indented area'

I have a 2014 25 foot International, purchased new.

First noticed an area that was not 'flat', where is should be flat... after bringing the trailer home after purchase. It almost appears as if someone leaned their 'back side' into the trailer or pushed into it with some effort.

The slight dented area is between the riveted area, under the rear two side windows, on the door side of the trailer. The panel area measures 41" wide between rivets, and 33" below the lower window frame. This light indent has not changed since purchase.

This indent could be from:

-the original aluminum panel had a 'bow' in that section when cutting to size
-when riveted there was too much and bowed inward some

Although nothing like those posted. Just enough to notice. Although in my case, not enough to care.

It is noticed best after a wet road throws spray onto the sides of the trailer. This area is slightly indented, so the road spray passes over and the dried road dirt is reduced in the indented area. Maybe 30" x 20" total within this section.

I have put a four foot level straight level edge across it to even measure the indent and 'three quarters' will drop between the skin and edge. From flush on top, increasing to three quarters indent, back to flush as you go further down the side.

I suspect my Airstream was 'hand made' by Earthlings and differs, somewhat, from those that were not made ON this World, but somewhere else...

If you were not aware it existed, one would not notice. But if the lighting is right... I found it. Turk123 would prefer mine over theirs any day!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent M View Post
My comment was two fold, but mostly to confirm that no one would use the stabilizers as trailer jacks.

One less-than-serious question I do have of you is "Why keep an eye on them?" If they do it again, you have excellent reason to believe they won't be permanent, just as others above related. It's an interesting phenomenon, to be sure, and an excellent conversation starter.....

Kent
Houstan
You're right. I did send pictures to my dealer though just in case.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Sun deformation removal

First timer posting from a South Pacific Island, my 345 had this prob, tension in how panel was first installed maybe, anyway it upset me so in checking it out I found the pink insulation material had shrunk or slipped in behind the panel, so I managed to repack new insulation from the inside using trickery. No more buckle lovely..
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote