Old 06-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Deep dent

Hi all, pulled my airstream from storage and discovered a 1.5 inch dent in the front top quarter panel. Whatever hit it placed a nice sharp dent but not hard enough to penetrate the outer skin. The two pics give an idea of the damage. Is this something that can be repaired or am I best advised to just leave it alone.
Comments are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-733977490.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	161677   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-696670888.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	161678  

Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
An uncreased dent isn't too hard to push out, and with a roller on the back side, minimize to a point where you are the only one who notices it. With a gouge like that, you can either live with it, replace the whole panel, or ... find someone who repairs AIRCRAFT skin and have him/her have a go at it. It will never be perfect, but it could look a lot less bad. This isn't something that I'd try - but if you do decide to take it on, get some scrap aluminum, and do some practice repairs first.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
If you can't get it to where you like it you could put a cool looking patch over it... could do a matching one on the other side too:-) I'm cutting some custom shapes for patches this week.
I've been big into patches lately, they give the trailer a lot of character I think, granted it's due to the fact I have a lot of holes to patch!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
You could contact the Aircraft Structures' Program at a community/vocational college. Students are always looking for "skins" to work on. This is the one in B.C. Aircraft Structures Technician
easily distracted by shiny objects
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Well, I have decide to fill the gouge with a clear sealant to keep the moisture out since the aluminum is stressed at the point. I will then order a weatherproof vinyl decal to cover. I am trying not to be upset about it. But it is frustrating that people who cause accidental damage are 1st not more careful around other peoples property and 2nd own up to it if they cause the damage.
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Yeah... the tales an Airstream tells from it's nicks and dents... Removing this panel to repair it will cause more problems that it solves...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

I think along the same lines as Eric H. In fact. I saw a late model Airstream with a few decals that were fake bullet holes in the front of the trailer covering up some road dings acquired on an Alaskan trip. I think it comes with the philosophy of "let's use it and enjoy it, it's not going to stay perfect forever." There is a chance that later down the road this same panel may encounter a dent serious enough to get replaced and you will regret having obsessed over this very minor ding.

Sun City Center, FL
1988 25' Excella
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote

« First Flat | Top | Dinette »