Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Debadging a 2016 Classic

Hello All.

I am new on here and am wondering if it is possible to debadge a 2016 classic? I know it sounds funny but I want be low key about my purchase and would like to either put different custom badges(maybe with my Last name or something else) or maybe no badge at all.

I live in a small town and don't want anyone googling the value with the make and model shown. Silly I know, but people can be haters.

I even thought of putting "sport" badges on it. Lol

Suggestions?

Old 05-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, badges or no badges, it will be identified as an Airstream and dollar signs will flash in the minds of those interested. In the SOB world all Airstreams are extremely expensive trailers.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:04 AM   #3
Site Team

, Minnesota
I understand. Let them think it's a cheap imitation made in Mexico, or a factory reject. Call it a StreemAire and say it's a East European knockoff.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You could remove the Classic badges, and replace them with Flying Cloud badges.
Save the Classic badges in case you want to sell it, or you move to a less judgmental area.
I really don't think it would make much difference, to most people, they all look alike.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Yep, a pig in a tuxedo is still a pig.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clozzzer View Post
I live in a small town and don't want anyone googling the value with the make and model shown. Silly I know, but people can be haters.

Suggestions?
To the uninitiated, an Airstream is an Airstream is an Airstream. Airstreams as a brand are iconic, with no distinction made between different models, because of their distinctive shape and materials. There is no way to visually devalue yours without actually devaluing it by ruining it— such as (badly) painting it some lurid color or denting the bejeezus out of it. Merely debadging or rebadging it will not do the trick, because it will still look like an Airstream to the average person.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Is there a company that makes engraved badges that can be customized? That would be pretty cool. Right? Sort of like subtle originality.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
One of the things I like about Airstreams is their unobtrusive badging. They have no need for big swooping decals, pimp paint jobs and three foot high lettering.
OP welcome to Airforums. I feel there might just be more to your story if you care to share.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
Call the factory or a dealer and ask them what holds the large Classic Letters to the surface. Someone that has done repairs might tell you the best way. Likely a bit of heat gun, slowly pealing and then Goo Off or something to get off the residue.

Expensive option. Get a sign shop to do a full body graphics wrap so that it looks old with lots of scratches and dings and filiform. Would be easier to remove later than having the local Army reserve use it for painting practice in desert camouflage.

Sorry it's Friday and its been a long week and I needed the humor
ProPride
NØVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Take it to one of those places that does "body wraps" to cars, trucks and buses etc and have it done in camo.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Usual advice on car debadging I see is to warm the badge with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive tape first.

Then slide dental floss in, and gently work it between the surface and the badge. Buff off excess glue with a good automotive finish wax/polish. I'd defer to the experts on the Aluminum finish of an Airstream being similar to Automotive mild steel in this regard.

Tend to agree with the above, though. 99.99% of the public have no idea there are even different models of Airstream trailers.

Good luck.

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
One of the things I like about Airstreams is their unobtrusive badging. They have no need for big swooping decals, pimp paint jobs and three foot high lettering.
OP welcome to Airforums. I feel there might just be more to your story if you care to share.
There is more to my story lol. My wife doesn't like to be to flashy. She think my employees will google the value of the trailer and want a raise. Seriously, she thinks like this.

The badges are held on by two rivets that could be easily drilled out. Unfortunately to rivet holes would be left behind. That's why I thought about have a custom badge made, made with my business logo or last name. Use the same airstream style , but change it up a bit.

By the way, thank you everyone for your replies, this is a very large and welcoming group.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clozzzer View Post
The badges are held on by two rivets that could be easily drilled out. Unfortunately to rivet holes would be left behind. That's why I thought about have a custom badge made, made with my business logo or last name. Use the same airstream style , but change it up a bit.
Or just put new rivets into the holes, with no badge at all. There's no law saying that rivets can't just go through a single thickness of aluminum.

It's still not going to disguise the trailer or its obvious value, but as the saying goes, "Happy wife, happy life."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If it upsets your employees, get different employees...

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote