Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2016, 01:56 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Debadging a 2016 Classic

Hello All.

I am new on here and am wondering if it is possible to debadge a 2016 classic? I know it sounds funny but I want be low key about my purchase and would like to either put different custom badges(maybe with my Last name or something else) or maybe no badge at all.

I live in a small town and don't want anyone googling the value with the make and model shown. Silly I know, but people can be haters.

I even thought of putting "sport" badges on it. Lol

Suggestions?
Clozzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, badges or no badges, it will be identified as an Airstream and dollar signs will flash in the minds of those interested. In the SOB world all Airstreams are extremely expensive trailers.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I understand. Let them think it's a cheap imitation made in Mexico, or a factory reject. Call it a StreemAire and say it's a East European knockoff.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:10 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You could remove the Classic badges, and replace them with Flying Cloud badges.
Save the Classic badges in case you want to sell it, or you move to a less judgmental area.
I really don't think it would make much difference, to most people, they all look alike.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Yep, a pig in a tuxedo is still a pig.
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clozzzer View Post
I live in a small town and don't want anyone googling the value with the make and model shown. Silly I know, but people can be haters.

Suggestions?
To the uninitiated, an Airstream is an Airstream is an Airstream. Airstreams as a brand are iconic, with no distinction made between different models, because of their distinctive shape and materials. There is no way to visually devalue yours without actually devaluing it by ruining it— such as (badly) painting it some lurid color or denting the bejeezus out of it. Merely debadging or rebadging it will not do the trick, because it will still look like an Airstream to the average person.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Is there a company that makes engraved badges that can be customized? That would be pretty cool. Right? Sort of like subtle originality.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
One of the things I like about Airstreams is their unobtrusive badging. They have no need for big swooping decals, pimp paint jobs and three foot high lettering.
OP welcome to Airforums. I feel there might just be more to your story if you care to share.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #9
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Call the factory or a dealer and ask them what holds the large Classic Letters to the surface. Someone that has done repairs might tell you the best way. Likely a bit of heat gun, slowly pealing and then Goo Off or something to get off the residue.

Expensive option. Get a sign shop to do a full body graphics wrap so that it looks old with lots of scratches and dings and filiform. Would be easier to remove later than having the local Army reserve use it for painting practice in desert camouflage.

Sorry it's Friday and its been a long week and I needed the humor
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Take it to one of those places that does "body wraps" to cars, trucks and buses etc and have it done in camo.
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Usual advice on car debadging I see is to warm the badge with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive tape first.

Then slide dental floss in, and gently work it between the surface and the badge. Buff off excess glue with a good automotive finish wax/polish. I'd defer to the experts on the Aluminum finish of an Airstream being similar to Automotive mild steel in this regard.

Tend to agree with the above, though. 99.99% of the public have no idea there are even different models of Airstream trailers.

Good luck.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Casa grande , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
One of the things I like about Airstreams is their unobtrusive badging. They have no need for big swooping decals, pimp paint jobs and three foot high lettering.
OP welcome to Airforums. I feel there might just be more to your story if you care to share.
There is more to my story lol. My wife doesn't like to be to flashy. She think my employees will google the value of the trailer and want a raise. Seriously, she thinks like this.

The badges are held on by two rivets that could be easily drilled out. Unfortunately to rivet holes would be left behind. That's why I thought about have a custom badge made, made with my business logo or last name. Use the same airstream style , but change it up a bit.

By the way, thank you everyone for your replies, this is a very large and welcoming group.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clozzzer View Post
The badges are held on by two rivets that could be easily drilled out. Unfortunately to rivet holes would be left behind. That's why I thought about have a custom badge made, made with my business logo or last name. Use the same airstream style , but change it up a bit.
Or just put new rivets into the holes, with no badge at all. There's no law saying that rivets can't just go through a single thickness of aluminum.

It's still not going to disguise the trailer or its obvious value, but as the saying goes, "Happy wife, happy life."
Old 05-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
If it upsets your employees, get different employees...
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #15
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
My employees know about my bambi, now 10. I had no idea someone would think to look up price and question you. At end of day youbwork very hard, your wife supports you and it is really no business of your staff. I sign shop could make you replacement badges of your choice. Welcome to forum and enjoy your Airstream.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
To the uninitiated, an Airstream is an Airstream is an Airstream. Airstreams as a brand are iconic, with no distinction made between different models, because of their distinctive shape and materials. There is no way to visually devalue yours without actually devaluing it by ruining it— such as (badly) painting it some lurid color or denting the bejeezus out of it. Merely debadging or rebadging it will not do the trick, because it will still look like an Airstream to the average person.

Very true. Our 76 gets all kinds of attention and might as well be a 2016 to those unfamiliar with the brand. Badge removal will only confuse the initiated, it will make no difference to the average passerby.

Loud cruiser motorcycles are Harley-Davidson's to many non-motorcyclists, same goes for Airstreams for most folks. If it is a shiny travel trailer, it must be an Airstream and therefore expensive.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The trailer will still be identifiable as a Classic by the arrangement of the windows, door, refrigerator vent, furnace cover, water heater cover, awning locations
There is no need to de-badge the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
...Expensive option. Get a sign shop to do a full body graphics wrap so that it looks old with lots of scratches and dings and filiform. Would be easier to remove later than having the local Army reserve use it for painting practice in desert camouflage....
I like that! Wonderful idea, with lots of options.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:44 AM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
From my encounters with the general public neighbors and friends, the fact that my previous Airstream was labeled Safari and my current Classic made no difference on how they perceived the trailer.

The one common comment that I hear the most is "you bought the Cadillac of trailers". So bottom line as most everyone has told you, they aren't going to be on the web site searching prices, they will always know you spent a bundle.

You can probably use the analogy based on they kind of car you drive. If you show up to work in a Caddy or any type of luxury car, the folks don't rush down to figure out the model and whether it's the "cheap" one or expensive one. The brand of the vehicle makes the statement.

My advice is to quit worrying about how others perceive you. No matter what you do to your Classic, it will make no difference to the haters. If you pay your folks a fair wage for the work they do, then the majority of them understand in this day and age that the folks at the top make the most bucks. Always has been that way and always will.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If you worry about what others think of you then your life is not your own.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote