Old 05-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Of course, now that you've bought the Classic, you cant afford to give out raises. 😱

phann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Castle Rock, CO & Boulder City, NV , CO/NV
Downsized TENT to an Airstream

My first wife married me as I had a nice TENT. A portal entrance. Two side vents that opened and closed. A external waterproof exterior cover to insulate and keep us comfortable.

My second and last ever wife married me as I had a nice TENT and I, because she is one heck of a cook while camping.

We both agreed to downsize and bought an Airstream in 2006.

Downsized once again in 2014.

She still is a heck of a cook, and I like the extra room to store rocks and fossils.

Makes us both happy, happy, happy...

Our neighbors now feel sorry for us having to downsize.

An Airstream is just another trailer camped in the forest Boondocking. Some day, if the economy improves, we will find that TENT and buy it back from the last Airstream owner who UPsized, and make us... happy, happier, happiest of all.

Added: Our two Blue Heelers consider the Airstream as a Dog House. An upgrade from a Pet Porter, but still... a Dog House.

Human Bean
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
gainesville , Virginia
Whatever you do -- don't put your name on the outside! Several years ago a friend traveling and "camping" by trailer in BAJA was awakened in the middle of the night with a caller banging on the door with a "Telegram for Mr. Allen." Mr. Allen opened the door to eyeball the front end of a double barreled shotgun. You won't need to guess the rest, but they lived to tell it. YMMV

As for removing the goop from under insignia after heating it with a hair dryer -- Goof Off does great and won't remove the factory paint. It'll remove tagger's spray-can paint though.
GEEEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:41 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Originally Posted by Clozzzer View Post
There is more to my story lol. My wife doesn't like to be to flashy. She think my employees will google the value of the trailer and want a raise. Seriously, she thinks like this.

The badges are held on by two rivets that could be easily drilled out. Unfortunately to rivet holes would be left behind. That's why I thought about have a custom badge made, made with my business logo or last name. Use the same airstream style , but change it up a bit.

By the way, thank you everyone for your replies, this is a very large and welcoming group.
Your wife is not that far off base. I have worked places where some of the employees thought the same way about our companies owners "toys".

Originally Posted by Clozzzer View Post
Hello All.

I am new on here and am wondering if it is possible to debadge a 2016 classic? I know it sounds funny but I want be low key about my purchase and would like to either put different custom badges(maybe with my Last name or something else) or maybe no badge at all.

I live in a small town and don't want anyone googling the value with the make and model shown. Silly I know, but people can be haters.

I even thought of putting "sport" badges on it. Lol

Dingo Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:33 AM   #33

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Airstreams are expensive and as others here have commented it would not make a difference what badge your Airstream has on its side. My comment is this; your home or residence may have already given you away. Maybe the biggest house on the block or you may own the whole block? If you're employees know or have seen your home and there is no animosity then you are worried for not.
Congratulations on your Airstream and enjoy every day that it is used and never feel ashamed of your accomplishments.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:37 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, badges or no badges, it will be identified as an Airstream and dollar signs will flash in the minds of those interested. In the SOB world all Airstreams are extremely expensive trailers.

PS living in Peyton Place can be challenging! Maybe that is why there is a forum here about full-timing in an Airstream?

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #35
Rivet Slave
2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Debadging a 2016 Classic

People who know nothing else about Airstreams know only one thing: They're expensive.

Those folks don't know the different trim lines; can't tell the difference between a Flying Cloud and a Land Yacht.

Several times in campgrounds we've had folks stop by to visit, and they often start with some version of, "Wow, that's an Airstream, right? Boy, they're expensive! How much did you pay for yours?"

It may help to keep this aphorism in mind:

“You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.”

This is often attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt, but here's some fun background on it:
Rocinante is our 2014 International Signature 27FB
(Named for John Steinbeck's camper from "Travels With Charley")

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:52 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Gee, we winter in Casa Grande and nobody even gives us a second look!

Actually, a couple of years ago we stopped for a quick bathroom break at an "enroute" rest area on Highway 401 while going to Toronto. When we came out from the building there were several people taking pictures of my rig.
AIR 12148
1987 Excella 32-foot
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
One of the things I like about Airstreams is their unobtrusive badging. They have no need for big swooping decals, pimp paint jobs and three foot high lettering.
OP welcome to Airforums. I feel there might just be more to your story if you care to share.
I agree. One of the things that turned me off the other brands. Why would you want all these swooshes and race car graphics all over your RV?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:29 PM   #38
Site Team
, Minnesota
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I agree. One of the things that turned me off the other brands. Why would you want all these swooshes and race car graphics all over your RV?
Can you imagine what they would look like without the swooshes? They would look like a Walmart truck.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member
2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
Can you imagine what they would look like without the swooshes? They would look like a Walmart truck.
All white looks good to me and would resist the sun the most:

Since I avoid hot areas, I would paint the whole thing a nice forest great to really blend in.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member
2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Most people I've encountered think Airstreams are old, even the new ones, not necessarily expensive. The "they still make them?" is what I normally hear.

That being said, I do understand the concern that employees will Google the model to see what the owner paid for one of their toys. They will probably do it and on company time.

It is not uncommon for people to debadge their Mercedes or BMW to hide which specific model they are driving.

Maybe a Flying Cloud name plate is the same size as the Classic and would be an easy swap out.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
San Anselmo , California
O.P. please re-read Kevin's last tag/quote from Eleanor Roosevelt, and don''t diguise the cool, good, shiney travelers you are...and hey! Being genuine is good leadership practice for your employees.
Ars Gratia Artis
ondaroadagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I'm retiring from owning a small business - in 3 more Days...
Free at last, Free at last! Great God Almighty, Free at last!

Aside from that, my partner went nearly insane about 15 years ago when I bought a Lexus. Same reason as your wife. I made a simple and true announcement - It's used. Well pre-owned, Lexus owners don't have "used" car's do they?

It really IS highly unlikely anyone will make a huge fuss, but you can always say you bought it as a repossessed trailer for about 60% off - then tell horrible stories about how it looked like a cow had given birth on the mattress and how your wife had to scrub grease out of the kitchen walls floor, stove and cabinets for a week.

Of course if you don't rub their noses in it, they'll probably never notice you have one. (Or - and I've never told this to anyone - I brought mine to our office parking lot one time, and one of my operators said, "Gee Paula How many horses do you carry in that trailer?" The look on my face must have been alarming (see Paula have a stroke?) but the guy had never seen an Airstream and tought it was really a horse trailer.

THAT was depressing in a way, but you know unless one of your people are deeply into the RV world they may have no idea what "Airstream" means and why or if it's all that.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote