Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
Dealer says why remove clearcoat...it's bad

Need help....I know folks have spoken about redundancy....but I have spent hours and hours on this site....the reading has been informative and fun for the most part....but I need quick response.
We have renovated our 79 Ambassador interior... it was time to get plumbing and electric checked....took it to the closest Airstream dealer. (not impressed with them so far...but will recommend them if the result is good)
He called for a number of reasons...but long story short....asked why we were removing the clear coat. We have done this on several units. We explained that we like the shine...it's worked for us....we are willing to put in the time and effort.
He stated that this "was not a good idea....clearcoat is a sealant....it will cause leaks in seams and rivets." So far we have not had this problem.
As I said....we've done our homework on this site....haven't seen this statement....could I have a competent response to send?
Thanks,
Frustrated and frightened customer at the nearest Airstream Dealership
cutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterbug View Post
Need help....I know folks have spoken about redundancy....but I have spent hours and hours on this site....the reading has been informative and fun for the most part....but I need quick response.
We have renovated our 79 Ambassador interior... it was time to get plumbing and electric checked....took it to the closest Airstream dealer. (not impressed with them so far...but will recommend them if the result is good)
He called for a number of reasons...but long story short....asked why we were removing the clear coat. We have done this on several units. We explained that we like the shine...it's worked for us....we are willing to put in the time and effort.
He stated that this "was not a good idea....clearcoat is a sealant....it will cause leaks in seams and rivets." So far we have not had this problem.
As I said....we've done our homework on this site....haven't seen this statement....could I have a competent response to send?
Thanks,
Frustrated and frightened customer at the nearest Airstream Dealership
If the clearcoat is the original on that 79, then it's been aged out for about 25 years.

The clearcoat has never been claimed by anyone that I know of, that it stops water leaks.

Removing the clearcoat, may require sealing seams, only because some of that sealer will be removed when the clearcoat is removed.

The biggest "leak" creator, is lack of proper running gear balance, and bad exterior gaskets, including the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
afton , Virginia
Thanks

Andy,
Thanks so much...just as I thought. I will send this one on.
cutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I can only draw one conclusion. That this dealership is more interested in sales than it knows about service. Especially vintage units. RUN Cutterbug RUN.