Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
Daughter's blog on the International Rebuild

I have asked a lot of questions and gotten a lot of great help and advice here on Airforums.

I stink at posting pics for some reason, so my daughter and her fiancé finally started a little blog on the project. She has only posted a couple of pics so far but will be adding more. Here is a link

https://ourlittlerollinghomee.wordpress.com/

As you can see, a COMPLETE gut, strip, frame off rebuild and remodel.

The kids are getting married Sept. 21, 2014 and then a 12 day honeymoon and then they hope to move into the 31' Int Sov Land Yacht.

We have completely changed the floor plan and are making it more of a park model since they will be full timing it. Rear bedroom with queen mattress on top of a lift box for center storage and then some narrow pull out drawers for clothes all under the mattress. All custom fabbed.

We have made a front living room with a full size couch with a fold out bed for visitors that is situated along the street side wall from front to rear and a small folding table and chairs for dining next to the entry door.

The kitchen and bathroom {washroom for my Canadian friends} are center over the wheel wells. The mid size apt fridge is right next to the entry door, then the RV stove will be set in a narrowed cabinet, the a sink base that we are narrowing so save a few inches of walkway and the a few small cabinets and some uppers above the windows that we will custom cut to fit the curve.

The restroom is on the street side and starts right next to the couch and is about 3' deep and 10' wide. Center door in front of the sink base which again we have narrowed to about 20" deep and notched the bottom to sit over the wheel well. A standard 36x36 walk in shower is fore {to the right of entry, and the standard porcelain toilet is aft, with a propane powered tankless water heater mounted on the wall above the toilet. There will be some small cabinet for towels and toiletries next to the lav over the wheel well. The wall of the restroom are a cool idea we came up with and we have never seen it before, but we think it is a great idea to save space, be flexible for towing movement and also looks GREAT...we think.

The wall is framed out of 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum C-channel I found at my metals supply. A bottom and top track is attached plumb with each other. Corner pieces are fitted vertically and pieces next to the door. Think of metal stud framing style but out of aluminum C. Then, cut and fitted to sit inside of the channel horizontally are high grade 1 x 6 T&G Cedar planking. The finish dimension of the cedar is 5/8" thick and that is the same as the gap between the flanges of the aluminum C-channel. Cool look with the unstained but sealed Cedar wall on both sides and some aluminum ribs for support...all in only 3/4" thick which added some space again for the walk way.

coming along, slow but sure....heading back out.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Lake Elsinore , California
Not sure if anyone has actually looked at their blog but a bunch of new pics today.
MacDad is offline   Reply With Quote