Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2016, 05:55 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelr View Post
We have a 2005 AS which was in pristine condition until this past weekend. While returning from a camping trip last week, we stopped at a Cracker Barrel restaurant for breakfast, parking in the RV section behind the restaurant. When we came out we found that someone had hit the driver's side of the AS, leaving a deep crease and a three foot smear of white paint. We reported it to the restaurant and the local police, who initiated a "hit and run" investigation. Since it was on the side of an interstate highway with fairly large volume of traffic, I do not expect that anything will come of the investigation. My question is as to the cost of repair. The damage is in the middle of the aluminum panel which extends to most of the side of the trailer. Has anyone had such damage repaired, and, if so, about what did it cost?
Take a picture of the damage and send it to airstream and they will send U a quote
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Frustrating!

We had an incident a few years ago when someone must have gotten too close to our trailer when parked overnight at a Fying J.

They bent the awning supports - which I was able to straighten, but also put a slight scratch into the skin maybe two feet long - not major but enough to cause a very slght indentation and perhaps break through the clear coat.

I was pretty sick about it but what can you do? I figured that to fix it to my satisfaction would require replacement of the whole side panel. Just not worth it, so I have come to live with it! At least the trailer was not new and already had a couple of minor blemishes!

I never really thought to contact my insurance, but in reality, I somehow doubt they would have agreed to spend $10k to fix a minor scratch!

I did carefully go over the scratch with clear coat in case the original coating had been compromised and so far no filiform corrosion has happened at that location.

I surely would have been ticked off if my trailer was much newer when this happened!

It is still an annoyance but I have come to accept it - not a lot of choice! Probably I notice it far more than anyone else does

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
At least the trailer was not new and already had a couple of minor blemishes!
One reason I'm happy to drive used vehicles!

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote