Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
The adjuster sounds like the one that examined My Peterbilt after it was damaged by a forklift at a delivery point. He and the lady in the office wanted to treat it like a pickup repair. Bondo on the cracked hood and crumpled fender. WRONG. Miles and rough roads wouldn't let it hold up. Also it was all one color to start and would be when repaired with new parts. The ins co is so lost when dealing with something different that they try to save money where it can't be saved. I feel for your problem and wish you good luck with the ins co. I am sure that Andy can give you a good estimate and repair. They should give you a replacement trailer while yours is being repaired. Just remain positive and firm to having it repaired to your specs.

Kay

Old 01-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinsue
Oh my gosh, I am totally taken back by the messages that have been posted on this forum to me. You are such wonderful people to offer help to a stranger. Although Craig is not a stranger, enjoyed several rallys with him and Kathy. Had a blast.

Ok, the latest on this chapter of my life. First I was backed into so their insurance AAA of California is covering the damage. The appraiser came out today and took many pictures. He asked me what that stuff on the ground was and I had to explain to him it was the support bars for my awning. I knew then I was in trouble. There happened to be a AS parked next to me so I showed him their awning.
He tooks notes and I told him I had to have something to live in since there are times I am on call 24 hours here in the park so I can not go outside to live. Then I said I would like to have my AS transported to the repair shop since I was afraid of causing more damage in case I got tangled up with this wonder California traffic. He said all he could do was report to the adjuster and he/she would take over. His parting remark was he was going back to the office because this was more than he could handle. With that we shook hands and off he went. And off I went to eat something good and fattening to sooth my stress level.....laughing. Soooooooooo we shall see what happens next. Life definitely is an adventure, I just got my car back from the shop after it being there a month. I was parked in the Home Depot parking lot and while I was shopping some guy bounced around and struck three vehicles, one of which was my Burb. Took two weeks for his State Farm to even say he had enough libiality to repair all 3 cars. Crazy. Then additional damage was found in the shop and they had to wrangle for another week with State Farm to ok that repair. I had it 3 days then this happened.
Someone in the park said I needed a new rabbits foot, mine must be moth eaten. I agreed with him...lol

I did hear from Andy so I sure felt better.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and help.

Sue
travelinesue
Sue.

Keep in mind, that an adjuster may attempt to make an estimate and cut you a check.

DON'T DO IT.

In my 42 years, I have yet to find an adjuster, anywhere in the US, that can make a fair estimate on an Airstream product.

First of all, they have no access to parts prices, and then they have no idea how the trailer is actually constructed, therefore they don't have a clue about the labor hours.

The "ONLY" easy way to resolve this issue, is very basic.

Make an appointment with the dealer you chose, "AND," make the same appointment with the insurance company, at the dealers facility.

At that time, the estimate can be prepared, approved on the spot by the insurance company, and work can begin immediately.

Most importantly, if the insurance company has any questions, the dealer, on your behalf, will answer them. Keeps you out of the technical end.

It appears to me, that the insurance company already has caused you unnecessary delays, that you can stop, today.

I wrote the Airstream "crash book," in 1970 when I was with the insurance division of Airstream.

AAA and Inland work together, very well, and have for over 20 years.

I would also suggest that you telephone the dealer, instead of using e-mail.

Andy

Old 01-17-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
So sorry to hear about your accident, Sue...we just never know when the forces will turn, do we?... But you sound like you are handling it well and getting done what needs to get done...remember—though we know you love your AS—it can be repaired or replaced and we are glad you were not injured... Hang in there and as others have said, this will all get taken care of and a year from now it will make a great story... I know, easy for me to say, huh? I don't mean to make light of it....just wanted to tell you that you are handling it famously and doing the right things...really...and we know you will persevere and get through it OK...

TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

So sorry to hear about your trailer.

I have had good luck with C&G Trailer in Bellflower. They are an Airstream Factory Service Center.

They have been associated with Airstream since at least 1946. Rod's father was plant superintendent for Airstream until he went on his own in 1964.

They only work on Airstreams and do beautiful metal work and all the other Airstream stuff too.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:02 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Flower Mound , The whole country
Thank you Andy for your advice, it is good to have someone tell you something that you already know but have never had to think about. I was married to an adjuster for 28 years and I know how they work, but..........dealing with a damaged auto is totally different than dealing with the damage to my home and a RV that is totaly unlike any other sob. Where ever I take Mariposa, her name, I will let them deal with the Ins company. The only thing I am concerned about is AAA renting a replacement for me to live in while the repairs are being made.

If I don't hear from AAA by Monday noon, I will call them and see what they intend to do.

We shall see.

travelinsue
Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, travelinsue. Please keep us updated. As Andy stated that AAA and Inland RV work well together. I also have AAA so I'm really interested in how they take care of you and your situation.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 12:21 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Yikes! What a bad day... and your car got it too??? I think I would travel away from that part of California.... too many little black clouds over your head there!

Sure hope you get this resolved, quickly and painlessly! Please keep us posted! Best to you!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
At least the guy they sent out admitted he was over his head, rather than try to handle a job he wasn't equipped for. With any luck, AAA will get someone from Inland, or whatever shop you decide to have the work done at, to go out and look it over, so you don't have to schlep the trailer all over getting estimates.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Sue
Sorry To hear about all this. I'd probably be in jail for murder if that had happened to my AS. U have some great expertise thats only a call away here.Best of Luck To U
Roger
Old 01-20-2008, 01:00 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Sue,
I'd go ahead and take the trailer to the dealer of your choice and let them start on the estimate. They can work out any details with AAA.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:23 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Flower Mound , The whole country
Well, one more chapter here.

I have picked Andy at Inland RV to repair Mariposa. I talked to him on Sunday, he said he would call AAA and expedite this claim. I had not heard from them so I said to go ahead. He called them Monday but AAA was closed for MLK day so he called them Tuesday and they called me within an hour. They said they would have my AS towed to his facility and would work with him.

In fact, I have two adjusters, one for my AS and one for my problem of where to live while the repairs are being done. They said they were not able to find a replacement for me that they would be billed so they are giving me a per diem and so this is something I can work with. They said this claim was new territory to them so I am on my own which is fine. No problem.

With one phone call from Andy to AAA they contacted me and my worries I believe are over.

The only concern I have is if the repair amount is more than Mariposa is worth. But Andy said do not worry, so I will cross that bridge only if I have to.

travelinsue
Old 01-23-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
travelinsue,

It's good to know you are being taken care of. At least with someone like Andy involved you won't get misled, you know the folks at AAA will be dealt with in an effective way, and it leaves you with confidence that your Airstream will be properly repaired.

Good luck with the housing situation.

Barry
Old 01-23-2008, 08:48 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Good news, Sue...It's gonna be OK...congrats on your diligence and just plain ol' hanging in there at a time when it would have been easy to be overwhelmed...

You'll be fine...
TB
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, travelinsue. Good to hear that the ball is rolling; Now all we need are some before and after photos posted on the forum either by Sue or Andy. [or both]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote