Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Crack in our kitchen countertop

This will be something we have AS address under warranty, but I thought I'd put it out there to see how folks who know what they are doing have successfully fixed this kind of issue.

So, we just found this crack in the Corian kitchen countertop in our 2014 International Signature 27FB. Is this something others have seen and fixed?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1416704919.431453.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	227175

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Gig Harbor , Washington
With a new AS, I would go back to the dealer to have this covered by warranty. It most likely happened while towing it and they should replace it for you.
dave_oleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It seems like there ought to be something flexible between the inflexible Corian top and the flexible cabinet attached to the flexible Airstream structure. Maybe a very thick bead of soft sealant/adhesive.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #4

Thanks. We'll definitely go back to the dealer for warranty service on this, possibly insisting they replace the entire countertop, as I don't want a cracked countertop with a silicon bead on it. That just seems a recipe for unhappiness. I just wondered whether other people have had this happen and if so, what typically fixes it once and for all, aside from a complete replacement.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It seems like there ought to be something flexible between the inflexible Corian top and the flexible cabinet attached to the flexible Airstream structure. Maybe a very thick bead of soft sealant/adhesive.
This was really not meant as a fix to repair the present crack but a possible way to mount the new replacement. If it broke once and they just put a on new one same as before it'll probably crack again. Something caused it to crack.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:24 PM   #6

Right you are - some kind of flexibility in the mounting that allows for the inevitable flexing during travel seems well-advised.

Old 11-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Or a high spot under the edge that cracked off.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #8

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll ask them to check for this and level off any high spots before making the replacement.

I've heard that Corian can be repaired in ways that make the original injury invisible. Here's one quick search result that says cracks can be repaired, though I don't want a repaired crack showing - it would have to be blended in somehow. http://homeguides.sfgate.com/repair-...ops-30237.html

So, I'll ask them to replace the countertop under warranty, ensure a level plane across all the cabinet tops, and consider whether they should be putting something between the counter and the cabinets that would help absorb flex instead of transferring it to the counter and introducing another crack.

While we're at it, we'll have them take a look at the outside light above the door, which once again requires a good slap on the fixture to get it working after I turn it on. That connection must have come loose again.

Old 11-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
KatieMacSC

1975 31' Sovereign
Morganton , katherynhartzell
Talking to a local granite installer, he has replaced RV countertops. He says be sure you have a flex gap between the front of the cabinet and the rolled edge. This looks like the cabinet may have been flush with the under edge of the countertop. He also leaves flex space on all wall sides that will be covered by backsplash, then shims up the backsplash for space and finishes with flexible caulk.
katherynhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

Ah, thanks for that idea, much appreciated. I just sent email with photos and suggestions about possible causes to my dealer to start the chat about fixing this under warranty. We'll see what develops. They've been really good thus far about warranty work, so I'm confident we'll get this resolved as well.

Old 12-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

So, Airstream says they want to repair the counter vs. replacing it. If they repair the cause and then repair the crack so that it cannot be seen, I'd be willing to let them do that. Otherwise, I'm going to press them hard for a replacement.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If they can fix it well in place I would be inclined to think this is the best solution.

The idea is that they will not need to take so much apart. As a rule I think that the less factory stuff that needs to come apart the better.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Is that the crack continuing on the gray surface next to the ivory counter top?

I'd be interested in their repair process. If they don't remove the top, how are they going to determine why it cracked? If there is a high spot on the front edge or corner and they patch the crack it will just crack again. If they are going to remove the top, why not replace it?

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:36 PM   #14

Hey, John, let's hope you're right, though I'm concerned that whatever caused the crack will continue to stress / damage the counter after they fix the crack.

Still, I'm willing to let them give the crack-fix a shot, for the same reason - the less they tear apart, the better, as long as they can figure out what broke it and eliminate that cause.

Al, I will also be interested to know how they're going to fix it.

Oh, and the crack does not continue into the gray surface - that's actually the aluminum wall, and it's reflecting the image of the crack.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 22
cranbrook , British Columbia
Been making Corian countertops for 20 years. The repair, if done properly will be stronger that the original material. The countertop should be removed for proper perpetration, clamping and sanding. At which time the mounting surface can be inspected for high spots. After the repair is blended into the countertop, it needs to be re-polished. This sometimes means doing the whole countertop to get a consistent sheen. If the repair is not invisible, I would expect them to provide you with a new replacement countertop.
kootenayken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenayken View Post
Been making Corian countertops for 20 years. The repair, if done properly will be stronger that the original material. The countertop should be removed for proper perpetration, clamping and sanding. At which time the mounting surface can be inspected for high spots. After the repair is blended into the countertop, it needs to be re-polished. This sometimes means doing the whole countertop to get a consistent sheen. If the repair is not invisible, I would expect them to provide you with a new replacement countertop.
I have been using a Corian "polish periodically, and it helps for awhile, but is there a product to be used every few years to perform a deeper scratch removal polish?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
When I had a corian sink and countertop I was into keeping it like new. I used automotive rubbing compound, two different grades, followed by polish. If there were real scratches I used emery cloth, the grade depended on the scratch depth, but then rubbing compound and polish.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:06 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just a silly observation - everyone's taste is different - but I just don't why anyone really wants granite, quartz or marble countertops. And concrete? Uh, the aesthetic? Poo on the aesthetic - the stuff has to be resealed often or it becomes a bacteria haven. Drop a glass on any stone like surface and it'll explode not merely break. Formica surfaces will allow sturdier glassware to bounce, not break. Corian I understand - mainly because you can get a totally integrated sink, countertop and backsplash which means no moldy or leaky joints, and yes it CAN be repaired, but NO don't put a really hot pan down on it because it will melt.

Why has "fashion" made plain old Formica (and equivalent brands) so undesirable? New Formica is attractive, the surface is pretty durable and very inexpensive. After 5-10 years if it starts to look shabby - rip it out and redecorate without guilt or huge expense.

I'm just amazed that people will spend a year's college tuition for countertops - then when they put the house up for sale, lo and behold the prospective buyers will hate the counters and want a price allowance for the cost of brand new counters.

--------------------------------
Back on topic - looking at the picture of the crack, it almost looks like the corner has been pried away from the cabinet front. All the cabinets flex, but it could be that the sidewall of that cabinet is not properly anchored at all.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #19

Thanks, guys. I think we'll give them a chance to find / repair the cause and then repair the countertop. Then we'll see what it looks like. If the crack is invisible, as I expect it to be, then we'll be just fine with that vs. a new counter.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
<snip>
Why has "fashion" made plain old Formica (and equivalent brands) so undesirable? New Formica is attractive, the surface is pretty durable and very inexpensive. After 5-10 years if it starts to look shabby - rip it out and redecorate without guilt or huge expense.

I'm just amazed that people will spend a year's college tuition for countertops - then when they put the house up for sale, lo and behold the prospective buyers will hate the counters and want a price allowance for the cost of brand new counters.
<snip>
--------------------------------
I'm actually looking hard at the Formica 180FX with the bullnose IdealEdge for the new countertops in our coach. Should I start a new thread on it?