Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 PM   #1

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
converter fan on 2017 25" internation runing all the time

Hi all,

We have a new 17 International which has solar panels and the new jel. batteries which are suppose to be better than the deep cell marine's. The fuse panel is located under the bed. From day one, my wife complains about the fan running and noise it makes under the bed. I was told by the dealer it runs to cool the converter compartment and there is nothing you can do about it, it was designed that way from airstream. Ok, we are living with the noise. We have two factory installed solar panels. This trailer has run by itself not plugged in for several days. We run the fridge, led lighting but no air or microwave of course. The converter fan has never came on. Twice now while plugged into the 120v AC. this fan has come on and never turned off even in 60 degree weather. if I unplug the AC, the fan will drain my batteries to dead overnight. I have turned this issue into the dealer who has sent a message to airstream but we are still waiting for a response. Has anyone else experienced this issue before?

Old 10-11-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
my , house
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgoodie8 View Post

if I unplug the AC, the fan will drain my batteries to dead overnight

I believe the converter fan will stop when you disconnect from shore power. Mine does, I am pretty sure.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
converter fan on 2017 25" internation runing all the time

Whether you are on shore power or on batteries, and regardless if the battery disconnect switch is on or off, the inverter fan will run 100% of the time if the inverter is turned on via the remote on/off switch.

Look for a grey switch with a small green light and press that button. It will turn off the inverter and hence the fan. My switch is located in the kitchen area in my 30’.

If the switch is malfunctioning, then just disconnect the red and black 4ga inverter cables from your battery to remove the inverter from the system until your dealer can fix or replace. This will not affect any of the other 12v items in the trailer as the inverter runs on its own dedicated connection to the battery.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Doh!

Sorry I guess you can disregard my advice :-) thought you were talking about the inverter not your converter.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
So, boondocking on solar no converter fan, but on shore power - fan on, unplug from shore power - fan stays on to drain battery?

My converter fan on only on shore power, under heavy dc load, and then just intermittently.

Mine is under wardrobe, Classic, 2017, replaced after first one failed in under two months, as the fan never came on.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Battery Issue

I just recently experienced a battery failure not sure as to actual cause.
I'm always verifying air pressure and battery levels. Took off on 4 day trip and between the solar panel and the coach panel I was experiencing a differential reading. Not to concerned at this point but confused. Returned home and plugged into shore power and after about an hour started to smell a sulphur smell. Verified one battery was extremely hot and very low on water. Removed batteries and of course the hot battery was toast / sulfated. Remaining battery checked good and went forward and replaced both batteries. Having sold Interstate Batteries myself for 30yrs I've seen strange a few times. I'm marking mine up to internal failure. Life cycle of battery in question 24 months.....I did notice my fan was running for short periods of times where as before I never heard it run since purchase of unit.
2016 27' FC / Solar panels
Old 10-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #7

2017 27' International
Agoura Hills , California
We just returned from a 17 day trip that spanned over 3800 miles and had a very interesting experience that ties to this problem. While in Yellowstone and plugged into 50amp service, our batteries died after a number of days due to a bad converter. Needless to say, we headed down to Utah of Airstream in Salt Lake City who coordinated the overnight delivery of a new converter. They and Airstream did a great job in getting us back on the road....thank you!
That said, we were back on the road the next day and discovered as you suggested, the fan runs non-stop when plugged into shore power. This is the way it is meant to operate, but is evident noise when the coach is otherwise quiet.
What I did learn and you may know, is that the solar panels are meant to directly trickle charge the batteries when not hooked up to shore power and have nothing to do with the converter. When hooked to the tow vehicle, similar can occur in that the batteries are kept charged ad the converter does not operate. The converter only operates when plugged into shore power and the only way to shut it down or bypass is to flip the breaker. If you do that then your batteries may drain over time less you are charging through solar (during the days) or plugging into the tow vehicle. I suspect for me, the lesser evil is the noise and hoping the converter doesn't go bad again as a result of constant running.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
On my first trip with my 2017 20' FC, I noticed the converter fan constantly running ("noticed" meaning it kept me up most of the night). I called my dealer the next day who said that's the way it's supposed to operate and to flip the battery switch to off to make it stop. It worked and since I was plugged into shore power for microwave, blow dryer, TV, AC, and frig, I had no issues. I also didn't stay in one place long enough for the battery to drain.

However, I don't have solar panels (I plan to purchase in the future) and have yet to boondock. Once I go dry camping, it'll be a different story.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #9

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
So, boondocking on solar no converter fan, but on shore power - fan on, unplug from shore power - fan stays on to drain battery?

My converter fan on only on shore power, under heavy dc load, and then just intermittently.

Mine is under wardrobe, Classic, 2017, replaced after first one failed in under two months, as the fan never came on.
The dealer conversed with AS and they are replaving the lower unit on converter. Thanks JG
Old 10-12-2017, 12:09 PM   #10

2018 30' Classic
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
What is the Make and Model of your converter? It should be on your build sheet or also on the label inside the cover.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #11

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Converter is hot

Thanks for response and questions; I cannot find a make or model on the build sheet is says; 110v / 12v Pwr Ctr/55Amp Converter/120vExt Outlet

So twice after trip and driving home several hours and just parking the rig the fan was on while not plugged into shore power. It drained the battery down to 6 v. The dealer looked at it and it did not act up of course. Now after a second incident, AS has agreed to change out the lower unit. Hope this works.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #12
Obviously-NOT

2017 30' Classic
Kalispell , Montana
Perhaps you should ask for new batteries since they've been severely discharged at least twice, directly due to the malfunction.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #13

2017 25' International
Plainfield , Illinois
Converter update, someting just aint right...

Of course, when the dealer plugged in to shore power, the converter fan is working correctly. With fridge, water heater and all the dc lights on the fan will come on, but when the tech turned a set of lights off, the fan turned off. My issue is, I had everything off in that trailer at night, the fridge on auto and the water heater on, and that fan ran continuously, it did not turn off on a cool day with nothing extra on. Twice when I came home unplugged from the truck and just checked everything in the trailer, that fan was on and in the morning, my new glass batteries were down to 6 v. My tech is saying the fan cannot run when it is unplugged from the ac. If it was only once, maybe, but the second time, no way, it was running still and did not shut off until the batteries were dead. In my experiences, all converters which are basically a dry transformer there is a line in and out. If you backfeed the 12v side, on the high side you get 120v and that could run the fan. So the load side of those converters are hooked the 12v batteries, and there is no loadside switch, it will backfeed that converter go thru the dry transformer converting to 120v, it will work either way. I don't know enough about the system to know if it is an intermittent switch/relay failure just starting to act up..Has anyone else had this issue and does my conclusion seem possible? Thank you, we are all just scratching our heads over this one.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
If your converter fan is running when not on shore power, the converter is probably bad.

A converter takes 120V AC and generates 12V DC. A converter cannot be "backfed" with 12V and generate 120. There are "Inverter/Chargers" that work that way, but I don't think that is what you have. My opinion is that the output stage of your converter has failed and is allowing 12V from the batteries to flow into the converter which, among other things, is running the fan and discharging your batteries.

Under normal circumstances the fan on most converters will run when it needs to to keep the converter circuitry within its designed temperature limits. If the load on 12V is high enough, charging the batteries when they are deeply discharged for example, the fan will run continuously. Under lighter loads it will turn on and off, or not run at all. On converter models PPS 5365 and PPS 5375 the fans run continuously but the originally fitted 5355 does not. If you have a PPS 5355 and the noise bothers you make sure they are not fitting a higher current converter that will run the fan continuously.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote