Old 09-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #29
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Go to a multistage converter if possible.

PSU1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #30
2017 20' Flying Cloud
Sparta , Tennessee
Converter problems, too.

On my way to AS Service Dept in the a.m. with the same problem on my 2 mth old 20' FC 2017. Very first camping trip was a little over a week ago for 3 days. By the 3rd day, gradual loss of electrical although plugged into shore power at Corps of Engineers campground.

99% sure it was caused by defective wiring in 30 amp breaker at friends garage where We all gathered to organize the day before we left for the camping trip Certified Electician met me at that garage today and found that 30 amp breaker was indeed wired "wrong" and my converter IS most likely damaged and I will be very lucky if that's the only item I will have to have repaired/replaced. I am sick!!! Also found out I was the first one to use this plug in this garage, but the RV utilizing the 50 amp out of the same breaker box experienced no problems. Glad for them

Not looking forward to what AS technician is going to find tomorrow, but it has to be fixed. Fingers crossed!

Fl Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aiken , South Carolina
Same thing happened to me recently. I found that the converter/charger had failed . Voltage across the battery input terminals at the converter was 8.5v ! Nothing works on 8.5v. I went to a local NAPA store and bought an electronic battery charger/tender which I connected directly to the batteries. I left the converter connected normally, but I ran the 110v supply line to the battery charger/tender directly to the shore power receptacle in the campground. There is usually a 15 or 20amp 110 outlet near the 30amp shore power outlet on the campground power pedestal. The charger/tender kept the batteries up to a level where all the systems worked. When I got home I ordered a replacement converter/charger from Randy at Best RV Supply

awkirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Wow! Thanks for all of the replies and great information. Sorry for not replying sooner but I was caught up in a situation today with my work and just getting my head above water now. I don't see this as an emergency now, aside from saving my batteries from some damage if I don't charge them sometime soon (which I will do).

I'm actually not on a "recreational" trip - I'm working long days and dealing with many different things, and the AS is enabling me and my wife to do this from locations far from home with relatively minimal disruption. So, I don't have bandwidth to deal with this too much right now as long as I have workarounds and there are no safety issues.

I'll post an update in the next couple of days once I have my head a bit more above water, and make some progress on fixing this thing.

Thanks again for all the replies! This is such an awesome community and I feel blessed to have all of your support!

YodaBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote