Old 02-11-2018, 09:50 PM   #197
4 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Hank, since you have your renovation on your mind, I have a question. Our door within a door has been polished, hardware removed, and ready to re-insulate. I took some of the interior skins off for templates and replaced with clecos. The door gets awfully flimsy. The door within doesnít conform perfectly to the outer door nor does the entire assembly conform perfectly to the trailer opening. With some of the skin off, does it hurt to tweak the framing a bit for a better fit? Or, will I screw something up? I would appreciate your opinion when time allows. Thanks, Bubba.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #198
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Hank, since you have your renovation on your mind, I have a question. Our door within a door has been polished, hardware removed, and ready to re-insulate. I took some of the interior skins off for templates and replaced with clecos. The door gets awfully flimsy. The door within doesnít conform perfectly to the outer door nor does the entire assembly conform perfectly to the trailer opening. With some of the skin off, does it hurt to tweak the framing a bit for a better fit? Or, will I screw something up? I would appreciate your opinion when time allows. Thanks, Bubba.
Bubba, I have rehabbed my door, but I have not addressed the fit of the door to the coach.

Here are some references that I have collected over the years:

1. http://vintageairstream.com/overhauling-the-door/

2. The folks having problems with their door not matching the curvature of the side of the trailer can "recurve" the door very easily. All you need to do is place a piece of wood near the center of the door - near the latch - and push the door closed on the wood gently. Then push the door at the top and the bottom at the same time like you were trying to push it closed with the wood in the way. Push on the door a few times, then check your results. You will be amazed at how easy it is to get the door back to matching the curvature of the trailer after a few tries and moving the wood up and down to get the match as good as you would like it. I have done this on my 1998 34' Limited after the wind caught the door and slammed it open again the stop in the open position and "straightened" the door. I have also used the "fix" for several folks as we travel with caravans over the years. One guy had an appointment at some Airstream dealer in Texas with an estimate of $200 to fix his door. I dug out my piece of 2X4 wood I had used on my door, and we had his door better than it had ever been in 10 minutes - the charge was $0,00 plus saving him a 2.5 hour drive each way to the dealer. Two other rigs came and requested the "fix" before the caravan was over. Joe Scudder 1998 34' Limited FK WBCCI 8624

3. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f480...tml#post678949

I also will email you some useful materials I obtained at the Vintage Trailer Academy.

I hope this helps.

Hank

Old 02-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #199
4 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Thanks Hank. This helps a lot. Bubba
Old 02-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #200
4 Rivet Member

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Thanks Hank. This helps a lot. Bubba
Bubba, I tried to send you an email asking you to email me (so that I could send you some materials). Did you receive it?

Hank
Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 AM   #201
4 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Hank, I sent you a PM with my contact information. I donít know what happened to the email I had sent you. I must have screwed something up.
I started measuring up the door yesterday and jotting down dimensions in the event I mess something up. I have some 3003 H14 .032 that is easier to shape. But Kip (Aerowood) suggested I stay with 2024 T3 .032 due to being tougher against denting. Thanks for following up. Bubba